Re: dc5750 powers-up but no POST boot-up (823 Views)
Frequent Visitor
Greg Trunec
Message 1 of 3 (2,999 Views)
Accepted Solution

dc5750 powers-up but no POST boot-up

I own a dc5750 and used it 3.5 yrs of daily service and never a problem.  Previously upgraded cd/dvd to (HP dvd1170i) dvd writer, upgraded to 4GB ram, upgraded video to ATI Radeon Visiontek x16PCIe card. Cleaned system case of dust at least every 6 months. 

Currently attempting to upgrade with an additional (brand new) Seagate (ST3400633AS-RK) 400GB 16MB SATA 3.0GB/s HDD.  Installed new HDD per HP and Seagate installation instructions (plugged into SATA port 3). Powered-up the dc5750 and the fans are spinning, the green led on motherboard is lit-up, led at power switch is solid-green, HDD led at power switch is solid-off (not even any blink), no beeps, and the DVD writer drawer will open/close ok.  But worst of all, nothing on the monitor except indications that signal is getting to it.  The new HDD did get a bit warm (hotter than the original HDD) while I waited to see if the system was just taking a little long to recognize it. 

Attempts to remedy without success include trying another new SATA cable, pulling the video card and using on-board VGA port, trigerred CMOS switch for 5 seconds, pulled CMOS battery and replaced it after a few minutes out. Punching the power switch for 2 seconds only, got the HDD led to light-up solid-green then go back to solid-off.  Of course I performed close inspection of possibly disturbing other cables while doing the installation.  With that said, I also did disconnect and reconnect cables to the original HDD and DVD writer just in case.  Tried to get a response by disconnecting keyboard, then pulling all memory modules and all disk drives, but to no avail. 

Welcoming any suggestions or annecdotes of similar cases.  

Please use plain text.
Frequent Visitor
Greg Trunec
Message 2 of 3 (2,927 Views)

Re: dc5750 powers-up but no POST boot-up

:smileywink: Mystery solved!  Applied that old saying, "If at first you don't succeed; Try, try again."  Pulled every thing out again and stuck in one memory stick.  I got repeating 4 beeps with led at power switch blinking to same beat.  Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot!  Well at least it was better than no signs of life.  At closer inspection I saw that when I pulled all the memory sticks, I also pulled a connector to the motherboard that was in the way of my fat fingers and forgot to plug back in this time. It was the CPU Power plug (P3 on my mobo). 

What a stroke of stupidity and serendipity!  Plugged it back in after pulling the a-c power and waited for residual power to drain and the beeping/blinking quit to let me know that it was all used up.  Along the way I also replaced the CMOS batt.  Powered back up and got the typical messages about changes to the system configuration.  Hallelujah! It's alive again!  Everything went back together in orderly sequence and in a couple of hours I had a good working system. 

Well my joints are hurting so it's probably gonna be a bad winter.  Mr. Moderator, please lock this one on your way out.  Cheers.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
mehranj
Message 3 of 3 (823 Views)

Re: dc5750 powers-up but no POST boot-up

hey bro!!!

thanks i got my pc fixed applying your solution...

may b contacting each other in future again

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation