Re: dc5000sff Product # PJ352UA All USB ports quit working (1602 Views)
Occasional Contributor
grampybox
Message 1 of 8 (1,681 Views)
Accepted Solution

dc5000sff Product # PJ352UA All USB ports quit working

[ Edited ]

I was working on a project when my USB mouse died, The computer shut itself down without warning. When I rebooted, none of the USB ports will work. The following is a copy/paste from my system information:

USBController     
               Product Name      Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
               Manufacturer      Intel
               Protocol Supported      Universal Serial Bus
               Status      OK
USBController     
               Product Name      Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4
               Manufacturer      Intel
               Status      OK
USBController     
               Product Name      Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7
               Manufacturer      Intel
               Status      OK
USBController     
               Product Name      Intel(R) 82801EB USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24DD
               Manufacturer      Intel
               Status      OK

I have tried uninstalling the drivers & reinstalling my chipset to no avail.

I realize that this computer is 6 years old and there is very little support left.

But

Any information that may help me resolve this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Grampybox

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 2 of 8 (1,670 Views)

Re: dc5000sff Product # PJ352UA All USB ports quit working

First unplug all USB devices and replace the Keyboard and mouse if you have them With PS2 parts. Then try plugging each USB device back in till it quits it could even be a bad cable . You may want to go into the device manager and make sure that they haven't shut down as an option. You may also want to check your USB Hubs power management tab and disable the power management tab to turn them off. I have several machines that are older than your DC5000. I would suspect the cables on the mouse and keyboard that get moved a lot

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
grampybox
Message 3 of 8 (1,642 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thank you for your response.

I have been using a PS2 keyboard, and switched to a PS2 mouse when this happened.

I also have unplugged all the USB devices, un-installed / reinstalled the drivers, even reformatted the HD.(don't ask why,'desperation maybe?')

I have installed a PCI to USB card, so I have at least 3 ports, with an external hub adding 4 more, but I'd like to get the original ones back up.

The "Allow computer to turn off ...."  check box has been unchecked on all 6 root hubs in the DM. They still are not working, although they all show "working properly" in their respective Properties

Anything else I can look for? (other than another PCI to USB card)

Thanks again

Grampy.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 4 of 8 (1,617 Views)

I would try unistalling all USB hubs/ports reboot and see if theu reinstall alright. The only other thing I can think of is to clear the CMOS the procedure is here it may or may not do anything The switch is SW50 first unplug the power cord and then press the power button then open the case and find SW50 usually near the front of the board and press and hold the small button for 10 seconds. You may have to reset the date and time. If the USB ports don't reinstall you may have to install the cipset driver here  http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=403747&lang=en&cc=us&...   Then select the operating system and then the Chipset driver.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
grampybox
Message 5 of 8 (1,608 Views)

OK Thanks I'll give it a try.

I already have the chipset downloaded & stored in my downloads folder as a Just in case back up.

I'll get back in a day or so, with an update.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
grampybox
Message 6 of 8 (1,602 Views)

Ron,

I copied and pasted your instructions to Word & printed them out to have them on hand.

I did everything you said to try but the USBs are still not working.

It's more like the drivers and such are there, and working and there is power getting to them, but the computer just isn't recognizing the devices plugged into them. I have plugged a few different devices (memory sticks & such) in, they'll light up (ones with 'pilot lights') but will not show up in the 'computer folder'

I really do appreciate the help you've given.

Grampy

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 7 of 8 (1,591 Views)

There are 2 choices at this point . Replace the motherboard I am guessing that you have had a motherbord failure. Or put a muliport USB PCI card into you machine SIIG makes on there are others out there.  Here is the SIIG page for PCI to USB adapters.    http://www.siig.com/ViewProductList.aspx?catid=438

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
grampybox
Message 8 of 8 (1,581 Views)

Yes that was what I was afraid of. I had installed a pci card to get me by, a motherboard replacement is doubtful.

I do thank you for all the suggestions in trying to resolve this.

Grampy

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation