Wireless Connection Issue (156 Views)
Occasional Contributor
CHPhilips
Message 1 of 1 (156 Views)

Wireless Connection Issue

I recently moved to a tiny rented room that couldn't fit my PC,  and my girlfriend's computer had recently died, so I set her up with my otherwise unused desktop.   She's said that the connection at her place has a history of being spotty, though her housemates spend a lot of time on the internet and don't seem to have trouble, and by-and-large she and I don't on our laptops.  The desktop worked decently for about the first week it was present, and now it's experiencing frustrating internet connection trouble.  (It may also be worth mentioning that, when we first set it up, the only network we had access to was an unsecured one for a couple of days, but that could also be nothing.)

It's an HPE 150f, and I'm running the factory-installed Atheros 802.11 a/b/g/n Dualband Wireless Network Module- apparently the wireless modem drivers are up-to-date. 

It appears to connect readily to the internet through the house wireless network- the network connections panel doesn't indicate that there's a problem of any sort, but either I flat-out cannot connect to the internet through any program (including the various help troubleshooters), or I connect extremely briefly and for long enough to get a fragmented page with black-and-white Times New Roman text, broken image icons, and odd formatting, and THEN it refuses to reload or connect to anything else.

I was running Norton antivirus when the problem started, and I've since swapped to MalwareBytes and Spybot S&D (neither of which has found anything helpful,  though they also cannot connect to update and have been running off the malware profiles I installed 2 weeks ago).

I'm hoping that I've missed something obvious, and I'm not honestly all that savvy with this  stuff, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

C.H.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation