Windows XP system instalation problem (411 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Message 1 of 23 (411 Views)
Accepted Solution

Windows XP system instalation problem

Hy i have a Compaq Evo 310 dt with Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz processor and 256Ddram ,my problem is when i try to install Windows XP professional edition the system is blocking at 34 Minutes if i decide too instal other operating system like Windows 2000 Professional everything is okay, i don,t konw whwt too do
Advisor
Message 2 of 23 (411 Views)

Re: Windows XP system instalation problem

Hi,
At your place i will try a different memory stick. Try and let us know.
Occasional Visitor
Message 3 of 23 (411 Views)

I would check your XP Professional CD in another machine to check that there is not a problem it. Or try another XP CD if you have one available.
Honored Contributor
Message 4 of 23 (411 Views)

Darius,

Although 256MB DDR may not offer much comfort under XP, this shouln't preclude for installing such a demanding OS.

Could you elaborate on which Setup procedure you have utilised?
-Simply overwritting W2K? Or,
-Reformatting the disk prior to loading XP?

Alain.
Frustrations surmounted are paving the way to expertise.
HP Pro
Message 5 of 23 (411 Views)

Hi Darius,

It would help to have some clarification on exactly what you mean by "blocking at 34 mintues." Does that mean when the XP installation states that there is 34 minutes left in the installation process, the system hangs? Hard locks? Appears to be running but isn't doing anything?

I would agree with an earlier suggestion--is this CD "known good?" Any scratches on the surface? Is it known to work on other systems?

What version of XP is this? Retail initial release? Service Pack 1? SP2?

Any additional hardware in the system besides the embedded devices? Up video cards?

We may be able to help with some more information.

Thanks,
Scott
Thanks,
HpBiosGuy

I am an HP Employee.
Occasional Visitor
Message 6 of 23 (411 Views)

Thanks for the ideas, but what i wanna say is tHAT WHEN THE WINDOWS XP IS STARTING TO install devices (under this thing it is a time remaining bar,ex:39 minutes too finish xp instalation)and my computer is blocking at the 34 minutes time remaning the cd-rom is stoping and nothing is hapening,strange because the cd is okay before i have this Compaq i had a computer and i install a several times the xp from this cd.
sorry for my english i don't know too translate everything
Advisor
Message 7 of 23 (411 Views)

Hi Darius,
try to restart the system using F8 and if posssible run/msconfig and poste here what are the apps runig at the start up.
Advisor
Message 8 of 23 (411 Views)

Sorry, F8 and go to safe mode and after run msconfig
HP Pro
Message 9 of 23 (411 Views)

Darius,

What video card do you have in the system, or are you using the on-board video? Any other cards in the PCI or AGP expansion slots?

Thanks,
Scott
Thanks,
HpBiosGuy

I am an HP Employee.
Occasional Visitor
Message 10 of 23 (411 Views)

I have an agp graphic board ATI Radeon 9200se,but i dont thing that this could be the problem
Honored Contributor
Message 11 of 23 (364 Views)

Well Darius,

Since you haven't specified the install procedure utilised, I must presume that you have simply loaded XP over your previous OS.

Therefore, I'd recommand the clean-install process detailed below.

1-Insert XP install CD and restart the computer. The system should boot out of that CD.
2-Run the command FORMAT, this will delete all and any files put to your disk, including orphan files and obsolete entries.
3-Run XP setup programme and voila!

Alain.
Honored Contributor
Message 12 of 23 (364 Views)

It sounds like XP is not liking something on your system. Try removing any non-essential hardware and install XP again.
Honored Contributor
Message 13 of 23 (364 Views)

To the "support-team" trying to assist Darius.

No offence meant, but it seems that many "hardware-related" directions have been suggested where the installation procedure should be questioned first.

REMINDER.

Darius said that, while moving from W2K to WinXP, he's been confronted to XP hanging at one moment in the process.

ANALYSE.

1-Where 2 OS are not built with the very same kernel, they may conflict at one moment of the "overwritting-mode" of installation. For example, loading Win98SE over Win98 should work smoothly (similar to an update). Conversely, moving from any previous version of Windows to the sophisticated WinXP may require a clean-install procedure. (see my post: Feb 8, 2005 21:42:16 GMT).

2-Other possible sources of conflict relevant to installation could be:
21-An ageing BIOS. (can't be the case of Darius' modern type of computer)
22-The OS-hosting HDD or partition damaged.
23-The install-CD physically damaged.
24-OS baldly copied on the install-CD utilised (this can happen with "fast bruners", also cheap R-CDs and/or some RW-CDs).
25-The anti-virus still activated during installation.
26-Space missing on the disk or partition where XP is trying to deploy.

I may be wrong but, presuming Darius' computer was working fine under W2K, I have the feeling that hardware-related problems (if any), should surface only once XP installation is complete. They would normally result from missing or inappropriate drivers, thus potentially affecting a limited number of components.

Alain.
Advisor
Message 14 of 23 (364 Views)

Hi All,

This is lookin to be far a hardware problem. If Darius got Win 2000 installed in this system means that the hardware is fine. Do not forget that win xp has a way better HCL and mach better portability. That means is easier than win 2000 to be installed.

If Darius has a similar PC runing XP, he can try to take the Hard drive with the WIN xp loaded and insert it in the Evo 310. It will work fine. Could also be a test to see if the system has a hardware problem.

Her is what I suspect to be a problem:
File Based Installer System Manager (FBISM) error may be encautred when using the Restore CD to restore the image.

Regards,
HP Pro
Message 15 of 23 (364 Views)

Hermes,

It does not sound like Darius is trying to use the HP Restore CD, but instead doing a retail CD installation. The restore CD does not give the same screens seen when doing a normal CD installation, such as "34 minutes remaining...".

I don't think anyone is suggesting a gross hardware problem, but an issue with the driver versions or settings in WinXP with Darius's particular hardware configuration. Basic trouble-shooting: start with the simplest configuration first.

Making sure that the hard drive is completely wiped clean and re-formatted is also a good idea.

Thanks,
Scott
Thanks,
HpBiosGuy

I am an HP Employee.
Advisor
Message 16 of 23 (364 Views)

Hi Scott,

I was guesing, as we all are in this forum, that he is using the QR lack of specific information and I mentioned hardware based on your sugestion
â â What video card do you have in the system, or are you using the on-board video? Any other cards in the PCI or AGP expansion slots?â and mabye I misunderstand your question.
After all I totally agree with You that is looking to be a sofware issue.

Regarding â The restore CD does not give the same screens seen when doing a normal CD installation, such as "34 minutes remaining...". it can happened using the QR after the user is being asked to insert the OS CD or other complementary software CD to complete the installation.

Maby Darius can â Help me Help youâ as you sugested and give some more info regarding his
Occasional Visitor
Message 17 of 23 (364 Views)

Thanks too all of you who try too help me, but the problem is steel there,i try to format the HDD whith the win 98 system disk then i try again too instal winXP, ERROR.
I try to format the HDD whith winxp cd and then too instal the system ,nothing.I think i will stay with my win2k system because i don't know what too do.By the way the other computer is no name is made by me from diferent parts from many supliers:Celeron 900Mhz;Jetway MB,512 Sdram Ecc,Gforce 3 TI500 graphic board,and i never had a problem whit any OS.
Honored Contributor
Message 18 of 23 (364 Views)

Hi Darius,

OK, you may have a better chance with the following procedure.

1-Get a "restart-floppy" (actually a boot-disk" created from Win98 (or upper version). Such floppies are containing core system files + a generic driver for the CDROM, thus facilitating installation.

2-Boot the system with the floppy in. Don't activate the "CD-detect" option yet. A MS-DOS session will open and finish with the waiting command A>. NOTE: HIT "ENTER" (OR "Y" IF PROMPTED A CHOICE) TO CONFIRM DOS COMMANDS DETAILLED BELOW.

3-Type FDISK and run option 1 as to create one single partition on your disk. This will remove all and any files from the disk, also any previous partitions created.

4-Type FORMAT C:/S. The C: drive will be turned into a boot-disk with essential system files on it.

5-Once done, restart again with the same diskette in. This time, accept the CD-detect option (1), this will load a driver for your CDROM.

6-Insert XP install-CD and type the command D: then DIR/P. You should be able to read file-names. (NOTE : If D: is not the default drive for the CDROM, try E: or F:)

7-Come back to the CDROM drive. Command CD .. (one space and 2 points). Presuming D: is the default drive, DOS prompt should read D>.

8-Type SETUP (or INSTALL, depending on the language urilised). XP should load. Follow its setup instructions.

Alain.

HP Pro
Message 19 of 23 (364 Views)

Darius,

Any chance you could attach the c:\windows\setupapi.log file created during the Windows installation? It may lend a clue as to what is causing the problem.

Thanks,
Scott
Thanks,
HpBiosGuy

I am an HP Employee.
Occasional Visitor
Message 20 of 23 (364 Views)

Thanx too all of you,but i discover what was the problem, it was the graphic card because i try too install the winxp whithout my agp graphic card in too the slot and everything was ok,then after the instalation was completed i monted the graphic card and start the computer and it works
bye,keep in touch
Honored Contributor
Message 21 of 23 (329 Views)

So, Scott put his finger on the disease first!

Bravo!

Alain.
Occasional Visitor
Message 22 of 23 (329 Views)

I read this thread with interest as I have almost identical problem with an EVO D310v, however I am using no additional devices or cards, so I can't solve it the way Darius did. This computer was running Win2k Pro SP4 previously. Attempting to upgrade to XP pro(fresh install) resulted in the install hanging at roughly the same point as Darius mentioned. Tried to re-install Win2k but that now hangs at the same point too.
I have changed out memory, data cables, p/s, power cables, even tried a different hard drive, all with the same result. However, I can install Linux without a hitch (tried Mepis and Xandros installs.
I suspect that Windows may be having a problem with the onboard Intel Graphics but can't figure out what to do.
I would really appreciate any suggestions as to how to get around this so I can get XP installed.
Thanks for any help you can send my way.
Occasional Visitor
Message 23 of 23 (329 Views)

Ian,

Sad to see no response to your June 3rd inquiry; I don't have this much time! I picked up some SpyWare bug and it went berserk today (ever hear of the "Satan Bug"?). I had re-installed Windows XP Home with the Operating System disk about a month ago when I moved offices, and it went fine.

I ended up needing to re-install yet again today, and was directed to use the "restore" disk, instead. It asked for the OS disk, and when I ran it, I got a Compaq message "Unrecoverable Error", and my system locked up. I have tried a "clean install" from dead, with the OS disk, but nothing reads at all. I am dead in the water. Any thoughts?
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.