Re: Western Digital 2TB Hard Drive on Compaq DC7900 Minitower (1118 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Timothy Howells
Message 1 of 3 (1,118 Views)
Accepted Solution

Western Digital 2TB Hard Drive on Compaq DC7900 Minitower

I have two HP Compaq dc7900 Minitower computers. I would like to replace the second hard drive on each of these with a 2TB Western Digital hard drive, preferably the green caviar. Is this possible? If so, are there any recommendations regarding using the Green vs. the Black Western Digital drives?

Thanks,
Tim Howells
Honored Contributor
John Kirk
Message 2 of 3 (1,118 Views)

Re: Western Digital 2TB Hard Drive on Compaq DC7900 Minitower

Tim

I don't see any reason that this would be a problem.

The Black WD drives are available in a SATA 6 Gb/s version. Which would be higher performance. The dc7900 does not support this and only has SATA 3 Gb/s interface. So in a dc7900 there would be no advantage to using a Black WD drive.

Hope this helps.

John K.
Occasional Visitor
Putinas Piliponis
Message 3 of 3 (1,118 Views)

Re: Western Digital 2TB Hard Drive on Compaq DC7900 Minitower

The poster above shouldn't give advices like that. Currently internal disk transfer rate is "bottle neck" (much less then 3Gb/s) not the interface between hard disk controller and computer is limiting speed.
So yes - it would work faster regardless if you have SATA II or SATA III interface.
So the only benefit between SATA II vs III is when you are reading from hard disk cache (which is 32Mb most likely) vs 2000000Mb of whole disk size.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.