Wake on Lan (WOL) issues on some HP-Machines (Compaq 6xxx series) (214 Views)
Occasional Visitor
ESTWler
Message 1 of 2 (214 Views)

Wake on Lan (WOL) issues on some HP-Machines (Compaq 6xxx series)

I recently had some problems with Wake on Lan with some HP 6000 Workstations. When the computer is started and some changes in BIOS are made - we want DHCP and WOL in our network - the machine restarts after saving these changes. When I then push the powerbutton in the start sequence as the PC is checking for an  IP address via DHCP, to shut it down, the WOL does not work any more.

Only when I pull off the power cable for about 2 minutes, plug it in again and then try a WOL, the computer is starting again.

This is not funny, I can't turn off the power in our whole company, just to get the WOL function back turned on for all Computers. BIOS-Updates did not change this issue until now.

Neighborhood Moderator
DaGuru
Message 2 of 2 (210 Views)

Re: Wake on Lan (WOL) issues on some HP-Machines (Compaq 6xxx series)

I'm sorry, but I'm having trouble understanding much of what is being said here.
1. Exactly what settings have been changed in both the BIOS and the OS to affect WoL?
2. Are you holding down the power button for more than 4 seconds to power off the system? Because, any time a system is "force" powered off WoL is disabled by design. The system would need to be "soft" powered off for WoL to work.
---------------------------------------------
I work for HP, but my posts and replies are my own.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.