Video card for dc7800 (4479 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Mojoman566
Message 1 of 9 (4,479 Views)

Video card for dc7800

I have been searching the board for information on a graphics card for a dc7800 small form.  I wanted to make sure I had this correct.   I need to get a low profile pci card because the pci express 16 will only support an HP dvi adaptor.  Is that correct?  Any recomendations on a card for HD.  Thanks

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 2 of 9 (4,470 Views)

Re: Video card for dc7800

[ Edited ]

Hi:

I have attached a link to the HP Quickspecs for the dc7800. You will find the compatible graphics cards on page 16.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12744_na/12744_na.PDF

I am not quite clear on what you mean by the slot only accepting an HP DVI adapter. You can install any video card you want with any output you want. However if you get one that has an HDMI output you will need to go into your BIOS and set your onboard audio setting to Enabled so the onboard audio works. Any card with HDMI out disables the onboard audio in favor of the HDMI audio on the video card.

Yes, you must get a low profile card. If you only have a monitor with a VGA input you can get a DVI to VGA adapter for cheap. Some video cards even come with them included in the box.

Paul

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Mojoman566
Message 3 of 9 (4,444 Views)

Thank you for your help.  I have a Zotac Geo Force 8400 card I am trying to install.  However when I put it in the slot and boot the computer back up I lose my signal thru the integrated vga and there is no signal thru the new card.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 4 of 9 (4,439 Views)

Hi:

I would suggest that it is one of 3 things:

1. If you did not uninstall the onboard graphics driver before you installed the add on card, there may be a driver conflict. You should always uninstall graphics drivers for the old adapter before installing a new video card. Instead of restarting after uninstalling, you should simply shut down the PC and install your new card at that point.

2. Defective video card. (Computer knows there is a card in the slot and has turned off the integrated video). New card isn't working.

3. Might be the manufacturer. 8400 GS is supported but maybe the PC soesn't like the Zotac card.  I have the ASUS fanless model (not low profile) in my dc7100 and dc7600 CMT's and they both work just fine with it.

Paul

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Mojoman566
Message 5 of 9 (4,433 Views)

Thanks for your help.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Mojoman566
Message 6 of 9 (4,420 Views)

I am a newbie.  How do you disable the onboard video.  Thanks

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 7 of 9 (4,418 Views)

Hi:

The onboard video is automatically disabled when you install the video card. There are no settings to do this.

In order to remove the drivers for the onboard video card you first have to remove the add on card. Restart the PC and go to the control panel, device manager, click on the video controller and then right click on the video adapter you see there. You will be given an option to uninstall it. Do that and when it tells you to restart, do not restart. Shut down the PC instead.

Now install your video card and see if it works. If you still have no video, then most likely your new video card is bad.

Paul

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Mojoman566
Message 8 of 9 (4,391 Views)

Thank You for your help.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Sands
Message 9 of 9 (3,837 Views)

Did you ever manage to get this working? I am having a similar issue. Would be great to know what fixed it....

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation