Upgrade the powersupply in an 8200 Elite (4362 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Nomad_Was_Taken
Message 1 of 8 (4,362 Views)

Upgrade the powersupply in an 8200 Elite

Has anyone upgraded the power supply in an HP 8200 Elite to a 650 Watt or higher power supply?  I'm trying to build a video editing station and the video card requires a 550 Watt power supply minimum.  I like the sandybridge i7 processor, but I need the upgraded power supply as well and the existing power supply runs through the motherboard.  The standard 650W ATX Antec power supply I got won't fit nor will it power the proprietary P2 connection on the motherboard. 

Honored Contributor
V. Nyga
Message 2 of 8 (4,341 Views)

Re: Upgrade the powersupply in an 8200 Elite

Hi,

there are four different HP 8200 Elite - which one are we talking about?
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/pfinder?tmp_product=HP+8200+Elite+&tmp_qt=manual&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=...

V.
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
Occasional Visitor
Macleayit
Message 3 of 8 (4,317 Views)

Hello, We have a similar problem. We have just purchased two of the 8200 Elite Convertible Minitowers, and need to install Nvidea 550 ti video cards for video editing and hi-def video presentation. The power supply is underpowered and does not have a PCI-e power connector. We bought 2 Thermaltake PS's but obviously they do not have the correct connections. So, is there a work-around or a higher powered HP model (Z200 workstation??) that will accept a standard power supply or have enough power and/or connections to accommodate upgraded Video Cards?   PS -  We do not have an unlimited budget!  Thanks

Honored Contributor
V. Nyga
Message 4 of 8 (4,306 Views)

[ Edited ]

>We bought 2 Thermaltake PS's but obviously they do not have the correct connections

What is wrong, what would be right?

The 8200 seems to have a normal ATX psu:
http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=125&prodSe...

but there are different revisions:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX#ATX_power_supply_revisions

Many psu's for upgrading support ATX 1.x and 2.x - you have to choose the right ones.

V.

Honored Contributor
V. Nyga
Message 5 of 8 (4,303 Views)

[ Edited ]

>or a higher powered HP model (Z200 workstation??)

Z-class would work, also many Pavilion, but I wouldn't choose a slim version.

>PS - We do not have an unlimited budget
Well - If you buy a cheaper one then you have to upgrade it - I don't know if this makes sense.
You'll buy the low budget parts and then high(mid-)-range parts at the top.

Either you choose a pc with the right graphics card (and the right psu for this) or you assemble your own pc (or upgrade your old one - but it´s almost the same like configuring your own pc ...)

V.

P.S. You also have to watch for the heat inside, especially with graphic work, so choose a big tower.

Occasional Visitor
GlacierCS
Message 6 of 8 (4,293 Views)

I have a similar issue the E8200 series that I purchased has a highly inadequate power supply (320w).  I am trying to install a Gigabyte HD6850 video card that requires 400w.  The 320 does not have any 4 pin power or PCI power.  An upgrade is highly unlikely because the MB only has a 6 pin power connector.  I can not purchase a bigger power supply from HP because they don't have another one for this computer.

I only purchased this computer because I needed a machine capable of handling a full height video card.  I wanted an i7, but it only came with an i5.

I had a similar issue with a Z400 and inadequate power for my GTX580.  A workstation class machine with a 475w power supply only?  HP has a 600 for it, but no supply.

Does anybody have the power pin outs for the E8200?

Honored Contributor
V. Nyga
Message 7 of 8 (4,288 Views)

>I only purchased this computer because I needed a machine capable of handling a full height video card

Then I would choose a video card which doesn't require external PCI power.

>I had a similar issue with a Z400 and inadequate power for my GTX580.
>A workstation class machine with a 475w power supply only? HP has a 600 for it, but no supply.

I think any OEM only deliver the psu which is needed for the partikular ws.
With a bigger graphics card ordered the bigger psu would be inside.

>Does anybody have the power pin outs for the E8200?

Every mainboard should have its identification printed at a surface - check it and search with Google.

Here are some specs, also supported graphics cards, but no information about mb:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13879_na/13879_na.PDF

V.
Occasional Visitor
GlacierCS
Message 8 of 8 (4,282 Views)

V. Nyga wrote:
>I only purchased this computer because I needed a machine capable of handling a full height video card

>>Then I would choose a video card which doesn't require external PCI power.

Well I have now ordered the BEST video card that HP certifies with this computer and am now waiting because they dont have any.  Also its rated speed is 1/3 that of the card I originally ordered.

>I had a similar issue with a Z400 and inadequate power for my GTX580.
>A workstation class machine with a 475w power supply only? HP has a 600 for it, but no supply.

>>I think any OEM only deliver the psu which is needed for the partikular ws.
>>With a bigger graphics card ordered the bigger psu would be inside.

Again I can't order with the 600w PSU because they have no supply for it.  A little research and you can find workarounds to use good PSU's.  I just don't think that I should have to purchase a $3000.00 HP just so I can use a good video card.

>Does anybody have the power pin outs for the E8200?

Every mainboard should have its identification printed at a surface - check it and search with Google.

Here are some specs, also supported graphics cards, but no information about mb:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13879_na/13879_na.PDF

V.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.