Upgrade the powersupply in an 8200 Elite (3789 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Nomad_Was_Taken
Message 1 of 8 (3,789 Views)

Upgrade the powersupply in an 8200 Elite

Has anyone upgraded the power supply in an HP 8200 Elite to a 650 Watt or higher power supply?  I'm trying to build a video editing station and the video card requires a 550 Watt power supply minimum.  I like the sandybridge i7 processor, but I need the upgraded power supply as well and the existing power supply runs through the motherboard.  The standard 650W ATX Antec power supply I got won't fit nor will it power the proprietary P2 connection on the motherboard. 

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
V. Nyga
Message 2 of 8 (3,774 Views)

Re: Upgrade the powersupply in an 8200 Elite

Hi,

there are four different HP 8200 Elite - which one are we talking about?
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/pfinder?tmp_product=HP+8200+Elite+&tmp_qt=manual&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=...

V.
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Macleayit
Message 3 of 8 (3,750 Views)

Hello, We have a similar problem. We have just purchased two of the 8200 Elite Convertible Minitowers, and need to install Nvidea 550 ti video cards for video editing and hi-def video presentation. The power supply is underpowered and does not have a PCI-e power connector. We bought 2 Thermaltake PS's but obviously they do not have the correct connections. So, is there a work-around or a higher powered HP model (Z200 workstation??) that will accept a standard power supply or have enough power and/or connections to accommodate upgraded Video Cards?   PS -  We do not have an unlimited budget!  Thanks

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
V. Nyga
Message 4 of 8 (3,739 Views)

[ Edited ]

>We bought 2 Thermaltake PS's but obviously they do not have the correct connections

What is wrong, what would be right?

The 8200 seems to have a normal ATX psu:
http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=125&prodSe...

but there are different revisions:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX#ATX_power_supply_revisions

Many psu's for upgrading support ATX 1.x and 2.x - you have to choose the right ones.

V.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
V. Nyga
Message 5 of 8 (3,736 Views)

[ Edited ]

>or a higher powered HP model (Z200 workstation??)

Z-class would work, also many Pavilion, but I wouldn't choose a slim version.

>PS - We do not have an unlimited budget
Well - If you buy a cheaper one then you have to upgrade it - I don't know if this makes sense.
You'll buy the low budget parts and then high(mid-)-range parts at the top.

Either you choose a pc with the right graphics card (and the right psu for this) or you assemble your own pc (or upgrade your old one - but it´s almost the same like configuring your own pc ...)

V.

P.S. You also have to watch for the heat inside, especially with graphic work, so choose a big tower.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
GlacierCS
Message 6 of 8 (3,726 Views)

I have a similar issue the E8200 series that I purchased has a highly inadequate power supply (320w).  I am trying to install a Gigabyte HD6850 video card that requires 400w.  The 320 does not have any 4 pin power or PCI power.  An upgrade is highly unlikely because the MB only has a 6 pin power connector.  I can not purchase a bigger power supply from HP because they don't have another one for this computer.

I only purchased this computer because I needed a machine capable of handling a full height video card.  I wanted an i7, but it only came with an i5.

I had a similar issue with a Z400 and inadequate power for my GTX580.  A workstation class machine with a 475w power supply only?  HP has a 600 for it, but no supply.

Does anybody have the power pin outs for the E8200?

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
V. Nyga
Message 7 of 8 (3,721 Views)

>I only purchased this computer because I needed a machine capable of handling a full height video card

Then I would choose a video card which doesn't require external PCI power.

>I had a similar issue with a Z400 and inadequate power for my GTX580.
>A workstation class machine with a 475w power supply only? HP has a 600 for it, but no supply.

I think any OEM only deliver the psu which is needed for the partikular ws.
With a bigger graphics card ordered the bigger psu would be inside.

>Does anybody have the power pin outs for the E8200?

Every mainboard should have its identification printed at a surface - check it and search with Google.

Here are some specs, also supported graphics cards, but no information about mb:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13879_na/13879_na.PDF

V.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
GlacierCS
Message 8 of 8 (3,715 Views)

V. Nyga wrote:
>I only purchased this computer because I needed a machine capable of handling a full height video card

>>Then I would choose a video card which doesn't require external PCI power.

Well I have now ordered the BEST video card that HP certifies with this computer and am now waiting because they dont have any.  Also its rated speed is 1/3 that of the card I originally ordered.

>I had a similar issue with a Z400 and inadequate power for my GTX580.
>A workstation class machine with a 475w power supply only? HP has a 600 for it, but no supply.

>>I think any OEM only deliver the psu which is needed for the partikular ws.
>>With a bigger graphics card ordered the bigger psu would be inside.

Again I can't order with the 600w PSU because they have no supply for it.  A little research and you can find workarounds to use good PSU's.  I just don't think that I should have to purchase a $3000.00 HP just so I can use a good video card.

>Does anybody have the power pin outs for the E8200?

Every mainboard should have its identification printed at a surface - check it and search with Google.

Here are some specs, also supported graphics cards, but no information about mb:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13879_na/13879_na.PDF

V.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation