UEFI boot from Hard Drive on HP8300 (302 Views)
Occasional Contributor
MM_14
Message 1 of 1 (302 Views)

UEFI boot from Hard Drive on HP8300

[ Edited ]

I would like to boot from UEFI (not bios) using a hard drive on our HP8300 small form factor boxes.  We need to boot from UEFI, because we want Windows 8 bit locker to interact directly with the hardware encryption of our Samsung SED SSDs (840 EVO).

No problem loading windows 7 via bios on the Samsung SSD hard drive using the Windows install disk and booting from the CD drive as a legacy (bios) boot source.  This boots the machine using bios- and it recognizes the SSD as a legacy Hard Drive (SATA).

BUT-- if I boot from the windows install disk from the UEFI prompt for the CD drive, Windows sees the Samsung SSD but says it can't install to it and can't boot from it.  Also, I notice that there are no hard drive boot sources listed in the HP Setup utility-- just USB hard drive, USB CD, and ATAPI CD.  Are the integrated SATA controllers NOT UEFI boot sources?

The Samsung SSD was initially configured as a GPT device-- Windows 7 install (from a UEFI boot) still said it could not install windows to the SSD.

Any white papers about HP UEFI?  Anyone know details?

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation