Trying to upgrade dx2400 machines to Windows 7 (286 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Charles_Lavin
Message 1 of 2 (286 Views)

Trying to upgrade dx2400 machines to Windows 7

Hi --

I just spent a half hour uselessly going around in circles with a Vijay Somethingorother in an online chat. This is NOT that difficult a question ...

I have a collection of dx2400 machines. These machines originally shipped with Windows 7; we ordered them from the factory with the Windows XP downgrade preinstalled. Even though they're running Windows XP, the COA on the cabinets is for Windows 7.

I now want to install their original Windows 7 OSes.

I have all the restore discs: The 3-disc HP Restore Plus! set consisting of the boot disc (1 of 3), the Windows 7 Professional 32/64 disc (2 of 3) and the Windows 7 Language Pack disc (3 of 3). I also have the Windows XP Professional SP3 disc.

I already upgraded the RAM on the PCs to 8 GB and have no problem wiping out the hard drives on these PCs to lay down Windows 7.

When I boot from the first Restore Plus! DVD, I am warned that the hard drive is about to be wiped out. I acknowledge the warning. But then I'm taken to a screen that allows me to only select Windows XP as the operating system to install. Windows 7 does not show up in the drop-down list.

How do I get Windows 7 running on these PCs?

When I asked Vijay on the online chat about this, I laid out the problem almost exactly as I have above. He first asked me if I had the restore disks. I reiterated that I did, and detailed them disc by disc. He then fired off a boilerplate blurb about calling HP Support to order the restore discs. When I explained to him (again) that I already had the restore discs, he fired off a boilerplate blurb about checking the Microsoft Windows 7 Hardware Compatibility site to check whether the PC was Windows 7 capable. When I told him (yet again) that these machines were not only Windows 7 capable but had shipped with Windows 7, he suddenly told me that the PC in question was not eligible for Tech Support.

Thanks

CL

Frequent Advisor
robinraju
Message 2 of 2 (192 Views)

Re: Trying to upgrade dx2400 machines to Windows 7

Hello,

The first restore disk will give you options to select and install multiple OSs on the unit. But the restore DVDs for Windows XP will not give an option for Windows 7 and vice versa. So I think the boot disk or the restore disk that you used might be the one that came with the Windows XP pack. Please check if you can find another startup disk for WIndows 7. If you cannot find one, please order a set of Restore media so that you can get the installation done.

Robin

I am an HP Employee.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.