Re: SED encryption of Samsung SSD 840 EVO on HP8300 (541 Views)
Occasional Contributor
MM_14
Message 1 of 2 (571 Views)

SED encryption of Samsung SSD 840 EVO on HP8300

[ Edited ]

We have many HP8300 SFF boxes and are purchasing Samsung 840 EVO SSDs.  After the current Samsung firmware upgrade, these are TCG Opal 2.0 and IEEE 1667 compliant (the required standards for Microsoft eDrive). 

I'm trying to avoid using the software-based encyrption of Bitlocker.

I know that Windows 8 should be able to work with the embedded TPM security chip to allow bit locker to use the hardware encryption of these Samsung self-encyrpting drives.

But before we move to Windows 8 (currently on Windows 7 enterprise), does the drivelock security built into the HP bios protect the drives?  I enabled drivelock security.  Samsung white paper implies it does.  I'd like to confirm that if the Samsung SSD is stolen, the data will not be readable without the DriveLock security password.  I'd like to confirm that the data will remain encrypted to the person who stole the SSD.

Please use plain text.
HP Pro
soccer_dan
Message 2 of 2 (541 Views)

Re: SED encryption of Samsung SSD 840 EVO on HP8300

Although HP can not support any drives not tested and qualified by HP, the drives might/should work with Drivelock. Drivelock manages the SED password automatically when enabled - BIOS admin password required before that is allowed. In any case, the easiest way to check is to test it. I would install the drive on a desktop, set a BIOS admin password and enable drivelock. use the drive. Then, take the drive to another desktop and see if it is accessible without setting the same passwords in the BIOS

I work for HP
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation