07-11-2010 10:40 AM
I would like to ask your help, please???
I have problem to reset administrator password for Desktop DC 7900 because I try to re-install OS in this machine. I can't to select first boot in this machine, I haven't filled password this machine before
I have done to take out battery and I have tried to push small button near of processor but it isn't worked.
07-11-2010 12:26 PM - edited 07-11-2010 12:38 PM
In order the clear the setup password, please follow the below instructions:
Resetting the Password Jumper
To disable the power-on or setup password features, or to clear the power-on or setup passwords,
complete the following steps:
1. Shut down the operating system properly, then turn off the computer and any external devices,
and disconnect the power cord from the power outlet.
2. With the power cord disconnected, press the power button again to drain the system of any residual
WARNING! To reduce the risk of personal injury from electrical shock and/or hot surfaces, be
sure to disconnect the power cord from the wall outlet, and allow the internal system components
to cool before touching.
CAUTION: When the computer is plugged in, the power supply always has voltage applied to
the system board even when the unit is turned off. Failure to disconnect the power cord can result
in damage to the system.
Static electricity can damage the electronic components of the computer or optional equipment.
Before beginning these procedures, ensure that you are discharged of static electricity by briefly
touching a grounded metal object. See the Safety & Regulatory Information guide for more
3. Remove the computer cover or access panel.
4. Locate the header and jumper.
NOTE: The password jumper is green so that it can be easily identified. For assistance locating
the password jumper and other system board components, see the Illustrated Parts & Service Map
(IPSM) for that particular system. The IPSM can be downloaded from http://www.hp.com/
5. Remove the jumper from pins 1 and 2. Place the jumper on either pin 1 or 2, but not both, so that
it does not get lost.
6. Replace the computer cover or access panel.
7. Reconnect the external equipment.
8. Plug in the computer and turn on power. Allow the operating system to start. This clears the current
passwords and disables the password features.
9. To establish new passwords, repeat steps 1 through 4, replace the password jumper on pins 1 and
2, then repeat steps 6 through 8. Establish the new passwords in Computer Setup. Refer to the
Computer Setup (F10) Utility Guide for Computer Setup instructions.
Below is the link to your setup guide should you need it.