OSDManager.exe maxing out CPU--99 percent at startup/re-boot (8465 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Ortho_Fan
Message 1 of 16 (8,465 Views)

OSDManager.exe maxing out CPU--99 percent at startup/re-boot

[ Edited ]

Although it only happens on a sporadic basis, and only when I re-boot or turn the computer on--this is causing quite a problem, since I never know when it might happen or what is causing it. 

This pertains to an HP Omni 220-1125:

Product #: QW681AA#ABA

Serial #: xxxxxxxxxx (For your security, I have removed the serial number from your post above. That's information you probably don't want to make publicly available. - HP Forum Moderator)

Software Build #: 12NA1ARW601#SABA#DABA

Service ID #: 040-212

What I've been able to determine is that OSDManager.exe, one of the components of "HP My Display," is unable to fully load.  In fact, I've received a Windows message to that extent, a couple of times, informing me that I should terminate the program, which I do. 

In most cases, though, my system will act sluggish, and, upon checking the Windows Task Manager, I'll find out that OSDManager is using 99 percent of my system's resources.  In this case, I right-click the process, and terminate it.  I then re-boot, and it functions normally.

This has happened about 50  times since I acquired my HP Omni 220-1125 in mid-April.  So far, I've found no help with it other than the suggestion that I uninstall and reinstall HP My Display to see if that fixes the problem.  (In other words, HP doesn't know.)  I've yet to try this, but might if I can't find a viable solution.

Here is a copy of the error message this generates --

Description
Faulting application name: OSDManager.exe, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x4e725eb4
Faulting module name: MSVBVM60.DLL, version: 6.0.98.15, time stamp: 0x4a5bda6c
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000b4137
Faulting process id: 0x9a8
Faulting application start time: 0x01cd4e6735fca5b7
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP My Display\OSDManager.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\MSVBVM60.DLL
Report Id: 782d9119-ba5a-11e1-a2dd-e0cb4efc1b05

Others have reported this problem, so this is definitely something HP should  look into  --

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems/HP-Supplied-osdmanager-exe-CPU-hog-of-the-wor...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/TouchSmart-PC/HP-TouchSmart-520-1010UK-OSDManager-exe-using-100-CPU/td-...

The program, OSDManager.exe, is also rated as "relatively unstable" by a number of tracking sites.  For instance -- http://www.backgroundtask.eu/Systeemtaken/taakinfo/59786/OSDManager.exe/

I have to say that I've been EXTREMELY disappointed with HP customer service.  Since this is a software related problem and not hardware, it is not included in the one-year warranty support package that came with my PC. This is in spite of the fact that the software involved was pre-loaded on the computer--by HP.

Ortho_Fan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE:  A more or less redundant version of this post appears as an answer to a similar post in this forum -- http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Deskpro-EVO/OSDManger-maxing-out-CPU-at-100/m-p/5645645/hi...

I posted it as a new topic to try to attract some helpful responses and comments, either from other members of this forum, or from HP technical staff members. (  PLEASE keep in mind, this does not appear to be a unique problem.  Others have reported it, but have received no help from HP so far.)

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Ortho_Fan
Message 2 of 16 (8,341 Views)

Re: OSDManager.exe maxing out CPU--99 percent at startup/re-boot

[ Edited ]

Progress Report --

NO PROGRESS...

...and no help, so far.

It's done it  three times, on re-boot, since I posted this a few days ago

there seems to be no help or support  any more--just that bad HP Support Assistant, which I can't get to work, along with a few apparently useless "support" forums, like this one,  that no tech rep. or HP employees ever bothers to look at.

OF

Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 3 of 16 (8,308 Views)

>apparently useless "support" forums, like this one,  that no tech rep. or HP employees ever bothers to look at.

This is a peer to peer forum and not an official HP Support channel.

Have you tried HPSC?

http://www.hp.com/go/hpsc

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Ortho_Fan
Message 4 of 16 (8,277 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Dennis:

That was the first site I went to after I found out that phone tech support doesn't consider "software issues" to be covered  by HP's warranty for a brand new computer--regardless of whether or not it's their software that's acting up.

After maneuvering through the site, I found the page to contact HP via email. I spent about an hour filling out all the boxes, etc.; providing a detailed, blow-by-blow description of the problem, only to be greeted by an ERROR message ---  "We're sorry, this service is unavailable at this time....."  --- when I clicked on the submit button.

I'm tempted to simply uninstall "HP My Display" which would cure the problem once and for all, but I'm afraid that if I do, I'll be greeted with a blank screen or dead monitor  when I re-boot.

OF

Please use plain text.
VidyaVI
Message 5 of 16 (8,215 Views)

Hi,

Sorry for the inconvinience you are facing.

You may try to downloading the latest HP My Display Utility. VERSION: 1.10.036 Rev.A from the below mentioned link.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?swItem=wk-105766-1&lang=en&...

Let me know if issue still persists.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Vidya
Forums Moderator
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Ortho_Fan
Message 6 of 16 (8,184 Views)

Hi Vidya:

Many thanks for your response.  Before downloading and installing the file I'll have to verify that it is specifically designed to work with my model--HP-220-1125.  The only reference I've been able to find for the update is that it is for the HP Z1 Workstation -- http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=5230515&...

I DID look at software upgrades for my model on that site, and there was no reference to one for HP My Display.  (To double-check, I also used the HP Update utility, preinstalled on my PC,  and it stated that there were no updates available at this time.)

If I find it is safe to use with my PC, I will give it a try, as soon as I find out if it will over-write the existing application, or if I have to uninstall the old version before installing the new one.

I realize that I might be sounding overly cautious, but I've made a few mistakes in the past trying to upgrade software which eventually led to having to reinstall the entire operating system--from scratch-- and I don't want to face that again.

Again, thank you for locating this for me.

Sincerely,

Ortho_Fan

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Ortho_Fan
Message 7 of 16 (7,727 Views)

[ Edited ]

Another (non)progress report:

I did some more checking, and from what I can determine, the recommended software update should not be used on my PC which I noted is  an HP Omni-220-1125.  I base this on the fact that a recent check of the software manufacturer's site--Portrait Displays--shows that the correct version is current verion  installed.

What I'd like to know is if there is any way to prevent OSDManager.exe from launching at startup?  It's not listed as a stand-alone application.  Instead, it's part of the HP My Display program, as I mentioned above.  Along this line, I don't see HP My Display listed in the Start Up folder, so I can't disable it from there. (In fact, I don't see ANYTHING listed in the Windows 7 Start Up folder when I call it up!)

OSDManager  is also  not listed in MSConfig, (nor is HP My Display) so I can't prevent it from opening there.

So, until this is fixed or updated, or whatever, is there a SIMPLE way to prevent OSDManager.exe from launching at start up or reboot?   From what I can tell, I really don't need it.  In fact, I find it kind of annoying when it displays that icon on my screen whenever I accidentally hit the caps lock button.

Along this line, if I simply uninstall HP My Display, will it have an adverse effect on my PC, or will the basic Intel Graphics Program take over from it?  (As you can tell, I don't have a clue as to how these things work.) Again, my fear is that if I uninstall it, I'll be left with no display or video image.

OF

Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 8 of 16 (7,701 Views)

>I don't see HP My Display listed in the Start Up folder... OSDManager  is also  not listed in MSConfig

I've seen cases of them being in the registry but I thought msconfig would also show those?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Ortho_Fan
Message 9 of 16 (7,691 Views)

[ Edited ]

RE -- I've seen cases of them being in the registry but I thought msconfig would also show those?

Hi Dennis:

That's why it's been so darn frustrating for me. 

What IS  listed in MSConfig are two entries labeled Portrait Displays:

Portrait Displays Display Tune Service

Portrait Displays SDK Service

After a little Googling today, I was able to find a Windows 7 program known as "Services" which allows the PC's  Administrator--me-- to adjust the settings of all/most services running on the PC. 

I located the two entries and reset them to run "Manually," rather than "Automatically," as they had been set by default.

After I rebooted, I discovered OSDManager was NOT listed in Task Scheduler as a running task. 

I thought  "Problem Solved!!!"

But then, when I called up Task Manager a few minutes later, I saw that OSDManager WAS listed, but was running correctly.

So, I guess what I've done is to prevent it from loading right at startup or re-boot, so it loads later on, and perhaps that will fix the problem.  (I'm keeping my fingers crossed.)

I'll post back here, in a week or so, with another progress report if there seem to be no more problems, or sooner--god forbid--if it acts up again when it does load.

O.F.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
davidsf444
Message 10 of 16 (7,335 Views)

Having the same problem with my new Touchsmart HP Model 540-1047c.  The OSDManager was taking up 50% of the CPU per Task Manager (processes), but an email I was attempting to send just hung.  I was able to copy and paste my email text to the computer's clipboard and cancel the email without re-booting; finally got the email sent.  Searched for "services" in the computer's search box and found where the services can be stopped and reset to manual or disable vs. automatic.  I chose "disable" instead of "manual".  We'll see what happens.  If I end up needing the service, I can always go back in to "services" and enable it.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
BassMikeC
Message 11 of 16 (7,183 Views)

Same problem here with my Omni 220-1125. Up until this past month it has been running fine. Now the CPU hogging screams up to 99% and the Norton tells me we are at an unstable level. This makes video editing or any other heavy media work risky.

I have stopped the process in Task Manager for the OSDManager.exe. It doesn't seem to have any detremental affect and the speed of the computer jumps up noticeably. Of course if it doesn't seem to affect anything - you gotta ask why is it there is the first place.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Ortho_Fan
Message 12 of 16 (7,163 Views)

[ Edited ]

You'll want to try the suggestion on this page -- http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems/HP-Supplied-osdmanager-exe-CPU-hog-of-the-wor... -- It echoes what I posted above.

To Review:

To find the "Services" program, just click on the Windows Start Button, and type Services in the "search programs and files" box.  (It's the one with the little clogs.)

Once opened, find the Portrait Displays Display Tune Service, right click it, then click on properties, then select MANUAL, next to the Start Up Type box, then click the Apply button.

Find Portrait Displays SDK Service, right click it, then click on properties, then select MANUAL, next to the Start Up Type box, then click the Apply button.

When these two programs are set to run manually, OSDManager will still load, but it will do so about five minutes AFTER  start-up or re-booting the PC, rather than ON start-up or re-boot.  (For whatever reason, when it loads immediately at start-up or re-boot, it causes some type of conflict, and hangs.)

---------------------------------------------------------------

FYI:

The purpose of OSDManager (On-Screen Display Manager)--which is made by Portrait Displays-- is to display certain functions on screen. For instance, when it's running, if you hit the Caps Lock key, you'll see a little icon telling you that you've just hit the Caps Lock key on the right lower corner of your screen.  If you press the Volume Control bar, found just above your numbers keypad, it will show a bar graph of the volume in the lower center of your screen, etc.

These are all  redundant and totally useless functions, as far as I'm concerned.   If OSDManager.exe were listed as a stand alone application, and not part of HP My Display, I'd just uninstall it, but this is a good work-around.

HTH,

Ortho_Fan

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Ortho_Fan
Message 13 of 16 (6,899 Views)

Well, it happened again just yesterday!  My PC started up just fine, but when OSDManager.exe loaded--about five minutes later with the settings adjustment described above, it consumed 99 Percent of the system resources, and I had to kill the process.

Damnation!  I thought I had finally fixed the problem. 

The only thing I can think of is, I had watched a youtube video prior to turning off my PC for the night, and did not readjust the volume setting to zero, which I always do.  Perhaps this fouled up something, I don't know.  In any event, I just filed a bug report with Portrait Displays.

Along this line, PEOPLE WHO ARE EXPERIENCING THIS PROBLEM, please take the time to notify the Portrait Display technical department, by filling out the forum that appears on this page, and sending a help request --

http://www.portrait.com/scripts/support_contact_dtune.php?OEM=hpw&ULANG=enu&PRODUCT=dtune

If enough people come forward, perhaps they will issue a fix that will end this nonsense once and for all.

Ortho_Fan

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
RickNYCITDude
Message 14 of 16 (4,522 Views)

I found out the OSD was removed. I just installed the latest version of "MyDisplay TouchSmart Edition" and when you press the volume buttons on the keyboard, the OSD doesn't show up anymore but the volume does go up and down. Here is the website where you can get it. Latest version is 2.05.003. 

http://www.portrait.com/enu/prodCurrent.html?PROD=dtune&MFGID=hpo

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
UnhappyCust
Message 15 of 16 (4,493 Views)

I have a similar problem.  My system goes to ~50% busy and sticks..?!  After the not-so-good attitude I received from cust-support when the PC was received, now I deal with THIS!? 

The last problem I had with a print driver (from HP) lasted for almost a year and numerous people complaining before new software was created/sent.  I guess if you let the Indians code as well as answer phones, it takes longer.!!  This is my LAST HP -- even though our son works there!

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Jason2013
Message 16 of 16 (4,114 Views)

Updates for the application are regularly posted to the link below

http://www.portrait.com/dtune/hpo/enu/upgrade.html

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation