No IDE Fixed Disk Present. (2605 Views)
Super Advisor
CA835831
Message 1 of 3 (2,605 Views)

No IDE Fixed Disk Present.

I work for a company that is using a fairly large number of these machines. I am beginning to notice that after a couple of months, some of the machines have started coming up "no IDE fixed disk present" and the machine will no longer boot. I got one of the machines in to my section, and started checking things out. For grins, I swapped the hard drive and cd connections on the IDE ribbon cables. It booted, but the cd rom drive disappeared, and it keeps giving the error "Hard disk failure imminent". I changed the cable for the primary IDE channel, and it boots and has the cd rom back, but still gets the failure imminent message. I noticed when I looked at the old IDe cable, there was what looked to be a punched place on the cable, like someone had taken a hole punch to it. Any suggestions?
"Inactive" generic user for pre-merger Compaq forum authors.
Super Advisor
CA835831
Message 2 of 3 (2,605 Views)

Re: No IDE Fixed Disk Present.

I'm finding the same thing. I have been testing the machines I have using some of the fixes you have mentioned. I even tried replacing the sysbrd in case of faulty controllers! It seems to work for a day or two and then the error appears again. On one occasion I received a memory dump error? So I guess I'm looking for any suggestions as well.
"Inactive" generic user for pre-merger Compaq forum authors.
Trusted Contributor
CA836401
Message 2 of 3 (2,605 Views)

Re: No IDE Fixed Disk Present.

With EIDE devices there are controllers in both the motherboard and the hard drive. A no IDE fixed disk present error means the hard drive controller cannot talk to the motherboard controller, normally indicating the hard drive is dead, assuming the cables are connected correctly. The hard disk failure imminent message is part of the SMART hard drive diagnostic system. It detects physical damage in the drive before it causes a complete failure, giving you time to backup the data. The hole in the cable is there by design.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.