Microcode update without floppy (2338 Views)
Advisor
John Townsend
Message 1 of 28 (2,338 Views)
Accepted Solution

Microcode update without floppy

Hi,

I have put a new CPU into a D530, and am getting the microcode update error. If I upgrade the BIOS from 1.14 to 2.40 or 2.43 then I get an incompatible processor error. I don't have a floppy drive, so does anyone know how to upgrade the microcode another way? I have seen a couple of posts about flashbin, but can't find it...
I did try getting copydisk (in the SP) to copy the .img to a USB drive, but XP didn't much like the direct disk access.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Rich S
Message 2 of 28 (2,336 Views)

Re: Microcode update without floppy

You can use a USB thumb drive instead of a floppy.

see:

http://www.informationweek.com/windows/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=177102101

Rich

say thanks with HP POINTS
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Rich S
Message 3 of 28 (2,336 Views)

Here is the HP USB format tool.

It will change your USB thumbdrive into a bootable drive.

http://tinyurl.com/ydao7p

HOW TO USE:

1. Plug the HP Drive Key device into an available USB 2.0 port.

2. Download the SoftPaq .EXE file to a directory on your hard drive.

3. Execute the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions. If prompted to overwrite any files, answer Yes to all to continue installation.

Rich

POINTS?

Points are way of saying thank you to the person that has helped you.
Only the question author can assign points to a given response. If you submit a question or new topic and another member replies to it, you will see a drop down menu of points next to the reply (you must be logged in to see the menu). Select the point value and then click the "submit points" button. Note that you can rate multiple replies and submit them at one time. That way you can assign more than 10 points to an individual. If the thread has been closed, the author must reopen the question to submit the points then close it again.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
John Townsend
Message 4 of 28 (2,338 Views)

Thanks to both, now I have the HP tool to create a bootable USB, and more info on creating more powerful USB bootable tools, however, I still don't know how to udgrade my microcode. the SP31629 has a .img (for the bootable floppy, so wrong size for my usb key! can't read it using winiso) and a .cva (which might be the microcode?)

Any further help would be much appreciated.

Advthanksnce
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Rich S
Message 5 of 28 (2,338 Views)

I just looked at the 2.43A bios update and it is 2.7 mb but even my small USB key will hold that (128mb). I do not know what its like during execution though or what the instructions tell you to do.

ref:

http://tinyurl.com/2gg49l

It mentions to copy the SP to your hard drive and follow instructions.

If this version loads for you, it will also bring all the updates in previous versions too.

bios V2.43 includes:

Installs the latest microcode updates for the F29, F33, and F34 processor steppings of the Intel Pentium 4 processor.

Flashing a bios is very risky at best and there is no recourse if it fails so try the latest version first.

Nothing worse than an expensive paper weight if its not done right.

Also there are a lot of people that would love to have this USB boot fix. I would imagine this little gem will be all over the HP forums soon. HP told me about some years ago and I had to dig really deep to find this link even though I had the download for some time.

Rich

Say thanks with HP POINTS
Please use plain text.
Advisor
John Townsend
Message 6 of 28 (2,338 Views)

Hmm. Interesting!

SP28567 is bios 2.43a dated 16 Aug 04
SP28564 is bios 2.43a dated 16 Aug 04

The revision histories are slightly different, the former refers for processor stepping of F34, which the latter doesn't. I have tried (as initally mentioned) one but not the other, so I'll try. Agree that the USB bootable will be useful, though possibly the Langa article is more comprehensive.

Good version control HP!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
John Townsend
Message 7 of 28 (2,338 Views)

Turns out that the 2nd BIOS (SP28567) is not compatible. So I'm still trying to find out how to update the microcode for stepping F34.

Anyone?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Rich S
Message 8 of 28 (2,338 Views)

Let's start form the beginning.

Which d530 do you have?

d530 Convertible Minitower Desktop PC?

d530 Small Form Factor Desktop PC?

or

d530 Ultra-slim Desktop Desktop PC?

I found 2 different versions of bios.

Also what OS are you using?

Rich
Please use plain text.
Advisor
John Townsend
Message 9 of 28 (2,338 Views)

Thanks for keeping with it!

I've got the Ultra-slim, using MCE2005
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Rich S
Message 10 of 28 (2,338 Views)

Well here is your home page :

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Home.jsp?〈=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=316727〈=en&cc=us

Here are the drivers and bios for XP pro:

http://tinyurl.com/38t4qu

Of course MCE is the same.

Check these 3 bios' and see if they are the ones you have tried so far.

SPECIAL SEARCH USE ONLY IF NOTHING ELSE WORKS:

under 786B1 I found more bios updates:

http://tinyurl.com/3yhjsw

and listed under 786B I found:

http://tinyurl.com/3a7r7e

This is ALL the data HP has on this bios as far as updates and microcode that I could find.

I would stick with the ones that mention your PC only in the notes of the update/microcode.

Hope some of this helps....

If not, I would say your CPU willl not work with this PC.....

Rich

Please use plain text.
Advisor
John Townsend
Message 11 of 28 (2,029 Views)

Thanks again.

to clarify; I have the home page (the UK version not the US) and from there I have downloaded the Bios update(s) and the microcode update. The bios update when applied with the new processor, complains after rebooting that it doesn't work with the new (3.2MHz) processor, though putting the old (2.8Mhz) processor back in is fine. I have tried all the BIOSes from 1.14 on, and they all have the same problem, apart from 1.14, which complains instead about the microcode. The SoftPaq with the microcode has only a floppy image, and a 2KB CVA file. I don't have a floppy drive, so can't create the bootable floppy, and I can't see inside the image (WinISO, PowerISO) to extract the files and put them on a USB key. Writing the image to the USB key (using the supplied DOS copydisk util) fails because XP complains about direct disk access. (I haven't tried this from DOS, but the USB key is obviously the wrong size anyway - still worth trying?)

The US BIOS adds F34 stepping, but is the wrong size. The UK BIOS doesn't add F34 stepping, though the Microcode update does, however I don't know how I can apply it.

So, any suggestions? I'm loath to buy a USB floppy just for this.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Rich S
Message 12 of 28 (2,029 Views)

It's hard to see why this update wouldn't fix the stepping problem.

THis particulr version states it's a critical update to your model but it sresses memory timing above all.

http://tinyurl.com/2t49qe

What is the CPU make /model. As mauch as I hate to say, it sounds like it is not comaptible with your system however the next main bios change could change that too.

You might ask HP right out and weigh the feedback.

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/wwcontact_us.html

Either way, a bit more research is needed.

Rich

Please use plain text.
Advisor
John Townsend
Message 13 of 28 (2,029 Views)

Hi,

I am currently uing BIOS 1.14

The old (2.8 MHz Intel) CPU works fine
The new (3.2 MHz HT Intel) CPU works but complains about Microcode Updates

The newer UK BIOSes DON'T claim to support stepping F34, thought the US one DOES.
However the US BIOS WON'T apply.

The newer UK BIOSes DON'T work with the new CPU

The (UK/US) Microcode update DOES claim to support stepping F34, but I don't have a floppy drive which is the problem I'm trying to solve.

All suggestions welcome.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Rich S
Message 14 of 28 (2,029 Views)

Well the HP USB file I gave you the link too imitates an A drive. That was the beauty of the file.

A PC see's the USB key as an "A"drive and thus works. When your system boots fomr it using the boot menu on your PC, it will not only boot up but also have your PC think it is the floppy. AS far as your update is concerned, if it is alos on the USB, it will execute like a floppy will.

That is really why you have no need for more than 2 MB USB key (other than for storage of favorite files). A floppy is 1.45 MB.

So what exactly is the problem?

get back with me... maybe I need to reread it all form the beginning....

Rich

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Rich S
Message 15 of 28 (2,029 Views)

Sorry, didn't use the spell checker ...

Well the HP USB file I gave you the link to imitates an "A" drive. That was the beauty of the file.

A PC see's the USB key as an "A" drive and thus works. When your system boots from it using the boot menu on your PC, it will not only boot up but also have your PC think it is the floppy. AS far as your update is concerned, if it is also on the USB, it will execute like a floppy will.

That is really why you have no need for more than 2 MB USB key (other than for storage of favorite files). A floppy is 1.45 MB.

So what exactly is the problem?

get back with me... maybe I need to reread it all form the beginning....

Rich

Please use plain text.
Advisor
John Townsend
Message 16 of 28 (2,029 Views)

Thanks.

I've managed to use the HP Key Boot USB tool, but it doesn't work in floppy mode (just skips straight to the HD and boots XP). In HD mode, it boots to *nix, but there are no obvious things to do (I'm not a *nix expert but can manage ls :-).

I have at last found a way of examining/extracting the contents of the image supplied for the microcode update, using winimage. Hopefully, I'll be able to cobble something together this way, if I can get a DOS boot disk running. Still looking for flashbin.exe though, which I suspect is needed.

Thanks again.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Rich S
Message 17 of 28 (2,029 Views)

The USB boot KEY will only boot if you use a boot menu.

You have to hit your BOOT MENU key like F9 or whatever....

Then you will get a menu that asks you what do you want to boot from. The choices will be the CD, the USB key, etc.

I have seen it F9 on one machine and F12 on another....

Bu tthat is the only way for it to boot into the USB Key....

If the key is not formatted properly (like using the HP tool I gave you) it will not show up on the boot menu selection or won't boot properly.

Rich
Please use plain text.
Advisor
John Townsend
Message 18 of 28 (2,029 Views)

OK Thanks. I will try again, but as I say, it works OK formatted as a HD device, but not as floppy (with no other changes). I found some more docs <> that say specifically that Microcode updates need flashbin.exe, which I still can't find, but then again it claims that the name of the microcode update will start with 'u' and have a .bin extension. That file isn't to be found in the SoftPaq...
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Rich S
Message 19 of 28 (2,029 Views)

Flashbin is a Flash binary utility used in conjunction with the bin file the softpaq gives you. AKA flash loader.

here is some data about flash bin:

(see page 5 on...)

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00396436/c00396436.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USE...

Most HP's are AWARD or Phoenix but I have to warn you that this is a one way action. You do not get a 2nd chance if it fails during burn.

Rich

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Rich S
Message 20 of 28 (2,029 Views)

If the softpaq does nothing but give you a bin file, I will be surprised.

The bin "extension" is for binary and yes if that is all you get when you execute the bios file, you will need a flash program to install it which is not like HP.

I can get you a flash loader if you need one but its much safer to follow their instructions that come with the softpaq download.

The last HP bios I loaded came with a flash loader. I just had to execute it.

Rich

Please use plain text.
Advisor
John Townsend
Message 21 of 28 (2,220 Views)

The SoftPAQ SP31629 (which is the microcode update) contains the following files;

07/11/1996 13:28 24,917 COPYDISK.EXE
07/11/2005 14:23 1,614 SP31629.cva
07/11/2005 14:23 2,674 SP31629.htm
07/11/2005 14:23 2,640 SP31629.txt
07/11/2005 14:23 1,312 SP31629_Description.htm
10/04/2007 15:06 UCODE
28/03/2007 17:32 117 UCODE.BAT
07/11/2005 13:33 1,474,592 UCODE.IMG

The UCODE.IMG files contains;

07/11/2005 13:30 25,453 BLUEFIU0.109
07/11/2005 13:30 99 config.sys
15/09/2004 08:54 17,640 himem.exe
15/09/2004 08:54 37,410 IO.SYS
15/09/2004 08:54 38,154 MSDOS.SYS
15/09/2004 08:54 10,269 patch.opt
15/09/2004 08:54 91,093 ROMPAQ.exe

So, there is a BLUEFIU0.109 which is presumably the microcode. The BIOS (for example 1.14) is BLUEFI10.10E and of course bigger.

Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Rich S
Message 22 of 28 (2,220 Views)

Here is the important part of that bios update.

Installs the latest microcode updates for the F24, F27, and F29 processor steppings of the Intel Pentium IV processor. The processor stepping can be determined by accessing the System Information selection from the File menu of F10 BIOS Setup.

This will clear your error if it applies.

Rich
Please use plain text.
Advisor
John Townsend
Message 23 of 28 (2,221 Views)

Yes, I know.

If you remember I'm looking for a way to apply the update. I already know which one to apply! Anyway, solved it! I booted to DOS via CD, then just ran the ROMPAQ.EXE from USB, using the paramers in the config.sys. Easy when you know how. Note I initially applied with the old CPU, but still got the error (even though the microde was now the correct version) I had to apply with the new CPU installed to solve this (mentioned various places on the web for BIOS updates)
Now to decide whether to update the BIOS...

Thanks for your suggesions.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Rich S
Message 24 of 28 (2,224 Views)

Its true that you may need to use the original CPU to avoid errors. Once loaded though, you will know right away if the bios update fixed the problem or not.

In fact, using the original CPU would be a good idea to let you know all is OK first with the new bios. That way any problems caused by the new CPU will be a separate issue and not a compounded error.

Blame then can go to the device in error in need be.

Let us know how it works out. This procedure is taking a lot of data to post and I hope it will help any newbies reading it that may have the same problems with their PC.

Rich

Don't forget to give the user(whoever it may be) the 10 points that solves the original problem. That sets off the bunny on the list showing there was a solution to your original question and lets others know it without reading all this data.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
John Townsend
Message 25 of 28 (2,220 Views)

Thanks Rich,

I do appreciate your assistance, without which I may not have succeeded. But I think you need to read my stuff a bit more slowly! I have ALREADY solved it, and could only do so in the OPPOSITE fashion to your (I agree better) suggestions, which didn't work.

Thanks.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation