How do I open case on compaq deskpro? (1428 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Message 1 of 3 (1,428 Views)

How do I open case on compaq deskpro?

Can anyone tell me how to open the case? Sorry I haven't a clue what the exact model number is.

Its not a tower - it lies flat and I know its a pentium 2 model with 256MB ram and a 3.??GB SCSI Hard drive. The plastic front seems to have two flaps that you can push in on either side but this does not seem to free anything. I cant see any screws to undo. Please help - I have never had a PC that I have been unable to open before - this is very frustrating! I am having some problems and think the battery might need replacing.
Honored Contributor
Message 2 of 3 (1,428 Views)

Re: How do I open case on compaq deskpro?

When you squeeze the two buttons on the side, you need to pull on the cover. The whole top, front and sides should come off in one piece. If it won't budge, it could be stuck and require more force. It could have a screw on the back holding the cover on. The Smart Cover lock could be engaged, in which case you would need a special Torx driver to turn the Torx lock screw on the bottom.
Honored Contributor
Message 3 of 3 (1,428 Views)

Re: How do I open case on compaq deskpro?

Some of those units have a single thumbscrew on the back near the expansion slots, and as Steve mentioned, there is also an optional smart lock - which is controlled from the CMOS setup.

If you cannot get into setup, look at the back for "securetorx" screws - the torx screws with a pin in the center - these hold the lock assembly.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.