HP dc7700p - Beeping noise and red light flashing (4283 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Mike Wareham
Message 1 of 5 (4,283 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP dc7700p - Beeping noise and red light flashing

[ Edited ]

My pc - an HP Ultra Slim desktop has suffered a major failure after I opened it up to remove a load of dust from the inside - with the careful use of a vacuum cleaner. On switching back on the power, there is a series of 5 beeps every few seconds accompanied by a red flashing light on the front panel. There is no output to the monitor so no way of knowing what is going on. I can silence the beeping noise by holding in the start button momentarily but the problem persists. What is the remedy please?? Thanks

P.S. This thread has been moved from Archived Desktops and Workstations to Business PCs - Compaq, Elite, Pro. - Hp Forum Moderator

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
V. Nyga
Message 2 of 5 (4,283 Views)

Re: HP dc7700p - Beeping noise and red light flashing

Hi,

I can't see a useful meaning here, apart from that you maybe have recovered BIOS successful(?):
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07107&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3364292&tmp_...

Check the hints in 'What to do when beep codes occur', beside that you maybe try to reset CMOS.

HTH
V.
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Jules
Message 3 of 5 (4,283 Views)

Mike, even though you have been 'careful' you still may have knocked something when you were sucking? with the vacuum cleaner. My first instinct would be to 're-seat' all the hardware that is plug in stuff. Reseat the Memory modules, pull out and put in all PCI cards, if you have a 'riser' on your ultra slim model, reseat the riser. Check the processor fan plug, the case fan plug - pull out and put in again. Check the MOLEX power cable to the system board,and the P4 plug, check the sata plugs (both ends) check that the USB connections to the board are secure, and the power connections to the system board etc etc. You get the picture!

I always blow the dust out of dusty computers (holding the fans so they don't spin). I have a vacuum cleaner that can blow. Some folk use a spray can of compressed air.
If you must 'suck' you should brush the dust with a clean new paintbrush and hold the sucker well away from the machine.

Sometimes if a processor is in severe danger of overheating then you get a siren like warning. Is your processor fan working?
---++++Only read the manual as a last resort++++---.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Mike Wareham
Message 4 of 5 (4,283 Views)

Thanks very much for your help and advice - best of all, it worked! I think I knocked one of the connections into the motherboard - and will certainly heed your advice in future. Thanks again.
Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Jules
Message 5 of 5 (4,283 Views)

Glad you got it sorted Mike.
---++++Only read the manual as a last resort++++---.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation