HP dc7700 - a CPU upgrade to a 'gaming rig' - a how-to (5527 Views)
Frequent Advisor
TheGreatAus
Message 1 of 8 (5,527 Views)

HP dc7700 - a CPU upgrade to a 'gaming rig' - a how-to

In the search for a cheap way to make a gaming rig, I wanted to upgrade my dc7700 with an e6300 1.86 GHz to an e7600 3.06 GHz processor.  Bypassing all the details below, it was a lot of work and Im not sure if it was worth it!  I feel that my time (and money) would have been better spent buying a cheap case, mobo, and a newer processor.

In order to do the upgrade, I had to do several things. Just a warning, if this is the only PC in your house, DO NOT replace the CPU until you finish step 3.

If you need any drivers for your dc7700, go here: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3232101&...

1st thing: Upgrade the BIOS.  Since I have a VPRO, you need this driver: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12... . There are multiple ways to do this.  The windows executable worked fine for me.  But if you wish, put the files onto a bootable USB drive and update from the BIOS screen (press F10 right after you turn the CPU on and go from there)

2nd thing: You will want to make a bootable USB drive.  Follow the instructions found at this website: http://www.biosflash.com/e/bios-boot-usb-stick.htm . You will also have to download some files.  I have norton 360, and 360 found the files safe, so you will be fine.  

3rd thing: The bios should update your microcode processor, but if you end up upgrading the processor, chances are, you will have to update the microcode after you install the processor.  So, download this file (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12... extract, and put all the files onto the bootable USB drive outlined in step 2.  Be sure to put all the files onto the blank USB. Anything less than blank may give less than ideal results.

4th thing: Replace your CPU.  This will require some knowledge of taking apart the PC, removing the CPU fan, and taking the CPU out without damaging your mobo (mother board).  It is honestly quite easy...almost sickeningly so.  Be sure to buy some thermal paste and maybe even cleaning solution, you will have to clean the CPU fan off if you plan on using the stock dc7700 fan.  I cleaned the fan off with isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol and I have not had an issue yet.  The stock CPU works great, I ran Prime95 and a temp finding program and the fan never went over 48 degrees with the CPU fan and good thermal paste. 

5th thing: Assemble everything.  Turn the PC on.  If it turns on If the fan goes crazy and you get a strange message after the blue HP screen, you will likely have to update the microcode.  If you indeed have to update the microcode, take the USB drive that has all the files from the link above, and put it into any USB drive, then press F9 at the start and boot from USB.  After you do this, it will bring you to a DOS prompt:  C://  or something like this.  Just type 'flashbin.exe', hit enter.  Then just say yes once or twice (cant quite remember), and update the microcode.  Restart the PC, and the fan speed should be normal and the CPU should start.

6th thing: When you get into windows, download this program: http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html#CrystalCPUID - look for 'CrystalCPUID 4.15.5.452 [2009/05/09]' - it is close to the bottom. Download whichever version you need (64 bit or 32 bit) and run it.  If it says the proper speed of your processor, then everything is running chummy.  If it says another speed, you will have to increase the multiplier. 

For me, my processor was 3.06 GHz, but the CPUID said the speed was exactly half of that. In order to increase the speed of the Intel processor, go to 'Function', then click on 'Intel speedstep management'.  It will bring up a smaller window, then click on 'new multiplier', put to the highest allowable value.  Then click on 'enable voltage', then click on the highest voltage allowed. Then click on 'create shortcut on desktop'. Close out of everything, then reopen CPUID to make sure that the 'Current' processor speed is matching, or atleast very close to, the 'original value'

NOTE: You will have to double click the shortcut everytime you turn your PC on to enable the speed of the new processor!! Even after I reinstalled windows 7 pro 64-bit, this

Frequent Advisor
TheGreatAus
Message 2 of 8 (5,526 Views)

Re: HP dc7700 - a CPU upgrade to a 'gaming rig' - a how-to

After everything is said and done, here is what I installed into my dc7700:

CPU: e7600 - 3.06 GHz, 3MB L2 Cache
Original dc7700 mobo - Q965
RAM: 8 GB DDR2 800 MHz
Power: Raidmax 700 W Modular
Video card: 1 GB DDR5 HD 6850
SSD: OCZ agility 3 for the OS and a 1 TB WD media drive

WEI scoring:

CPU: 6.6 - this was 4.2 before
RAM: 6.6 - this was 5.9 with the e6300 1.86 GHz proc
Windows Vid: 7.7
Gaming Vid: 7.7
Storage: 7.5 - would be faster but the mobo is only SATAII

Slightly tentantive about how much of an impact the video card would have...and it kicked a**. I installed skyrim and was able to run skyrim on High settings (I did drop AA down to 4x) on a 50 inch tv at 1920x1080p.

Frequent Advisor
TheGreatAus
Message 3 of 8 (5,524 Views)

If we could get some help with this CPU multiplier, microcode/bios issue, that would be great.  HP, is this possible?  I am not the only one experiencing this issue. 

Occasional Visitor
Starbuck82
Message 4 of 8 (5,479 Views)

Hi,

i have the same issue here after upgrading the cpu to a E7500... so i agree, help from the HP Support would be great!

@TheGreatAus: Thank you for your workaround :) Btw: You've wrote your using 8GB DDR 800 MHZ... Can you confirm that your ram is running at full speed? I thought the mobo only supports full speed with 4GB ram and 8GB would run at 667 Mhz?

Visitor
azvampyre
Message 5 of 8 (5,395 Views)

I tried that CrystalCPU, but it doesn't do anything for me. Same DC7700 as the rest of you but with Crucial DDR2/800 memory

Frequent Advisor
TheGreatAus
Message 6 of 8 (5,393 Views)

did you upgrade your CPU azvamp?  If you didnt, then your computer is running fine more than likely.  Some of us that upgraded the CPU were having multiplier issues and the CPU wasnt running even close to what the factory levels were at, CPUID allowed us to return the multiplier close to the factory settings.  It will not allow you to overclock though. 

Occasional Contributor
BachPC
Message 7 of 8 (3,349 Views)

can i use this method to upgrade to e6750 or quad core processor ?

Frequent Advisor
gabornico
Message 8 of 8 (3,260 Views)

the Core 2 Duo E6700 or a Core 2 Extreme X6800 (officially not supported) would be a good choice.

Processors with 1333 FSB won´t work.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.