HP dc5850 SFF Support for latest AMD C3 Processors (1297 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Kaspar Wyss
Message 1 of 5 (1,297 Views)

HP dc5850 SFF Support for latest AMD C3 Processors

I would like to upgrade the processor in my HP dc 5850 Business Desktop.
Now I try to find out about the fastest compatible processors for my system. I would realy like to use a AMD Phenom II X4 945. This is a very recent processor from AMD which has the new C3 Stepping. The TPD of this Processor matches the the maximum recommendet as stated in the manual: 95W. So it should work. But, I think I saw only support for C2 stepping in the BIOS Version History.
Will HP provide a BIOS Update for C3 Processors ? Or is this not necessary ? If necessary, when will HP release the new BIOS update ? Thank you ! Best regards. Kaspar.
Valued Contributor
ChrisC__
Message 2 of 5 (1,297 Views)

Re: HP dc5850 SFF Support for latest AMD C3 Processors

You are correct. C3 stepping is not supported. It may work but BIOS may not have full microcode support. No plans to add C3 at this time.
Occasional Visitor
Kaspar Wyss
Message 3 of 5 (1,297 Views)

Thank you very much for your answer.

It's sad that HP has no plans at the moment to support C3 stepped processors on dc5850 in the near future.
So then I'm going to buy the Phenom II X4 810, as this seems to be the fastest processor currently supported. I'm a bit disapointed, as the dc5850 is still available for sale, and warranty period isn't over yet. I was expecting HP to provide BIOS update for all the models that aren't end of life. I don't know how much effort that BIOS update would cause HP, but I guess it's not such a huge amount of work.

But anyway, I'm fine, as long as I don't need to regret my decision to buy the 810 in a couple of months, if HP all of a sudden would actualy release a C3 capable BIOS. In this case I would have waited with the upgrade. I need a fast processor, but I don't have money to burn.

Again, thanks a lot !

Best regards
Kaspar
Occasional Visitor
Tonydip
Message 4 of 5 (934 Views)

Chris C,

Did HP BIOS ever issue a revision to handle C3 stepping?  I'm assuming this is no longer an issue since we're in 2011 and BIOS 786F6 v3.11 can handle this?  Am I wrong?  I want to get AMD PHENOM II X4 945 CPU with C3 stepping for my dc5850.

Tdip

Occasional Visitor
Kaspar Wyss
Message 5 of 5 (416 Views)

Hi Tony,

and ? Did you had success with that C3 stepped processor ? What happened.

I thought I would not have to deal with this topic anymore, but, I just found that the HP dc SFF Series don't use any type of standard mainboards (NO they don't use microATX as someone statet in another post, somewhere), so I can't swap the mainboards with newer ones.

I was using AMD X4 630 (C2 Stepping) processors until now. But now I wanted to recycle the dc5850 housings yet another time and swap the mainboard...but I can't as I just realized. So I'm still interested if it's possible to add a faster processor to these computers.

Theres a lot of green talk of big companies like hp recently, but when it comes to simple things like providing software support for newer cpu's they just don't do it. At least HP could open source that bios code, so that others could do the work for them...and claim to be green. As I'm informed its not that hard to add cpu compatibility to existing code...at least on the AMD side.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.