HP d530 SFF - Microcode Processor Update Error Message (8560 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Juan Jenssen
Message 1 of 9 (8,560 Views)

HP d530 SFF - Microcode Processor Update Error Message

Hi All,

I have a HP d530 SFF. I have installed a PIV Intel 2.8Ghz Processor (supported by the MoBo), but when I boot I get the message "Missing or Invalid Processor Microcode Update. PLease contact etc...". The BIOS shows that my processor stepping is F25.

I have downloaded the Microcode Update (V 1.09, file sp31629.exe, my current version is 1.07) from HP site, but I cannot get to install it. I execute the file, then it creates a diskette, then I boot from the diskette and I follow the instructions to do the update and it says that it's done. But when I reboot it keeps saying my version is 1.07 and I keep having the error message. Could you tell howto do it?

I have also searched the WEB and I found a guy that says he had the same problem and fixed it with a "CMOS flash utility" from HP.

Could you help me with my problem?

Thanks,
Juan
Honored Contributor
Rich S
Message 2 of 9 (8,560 Views)

Re: HP d530 SFF - Microcode Processor Update Error Message

You may need to flash the bios in order to use that CPU.

http://tinyurl.com/nvxpxd

Where did you find out that the CPU was on the list?

Rich

say thanks with HP POINTS
Occasional Visitor
Juan Jenssen
Message 3 of 9 (8,560 Views)

My BIOS is already 2.44. I got the list of supported processors from HP. Why the question? You think it could not be supported?

Regards,
Juan
Honored Contributor
Pieter 't Hart
Message 4 of 9 (8,560 Views)

when you look at :
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12...

tab: revision history, stepping-F25 is from before bios version 1.07

Not the processor itself is updated, but the bios support for processor with a certain "stepping-level".
so it could be either
- it is not correctly detected and displayed
- or the processor IS stepping- F25 and is not supported on this MoBo.
- or the upgrade program detects for this procesor (F25) the upgrade is not neccessary and don't really installs the upgrade :-(

have you tried ?
- put back the old processor
- update the microcode
- check version
- replace new processor

Pieter
Occasional Visitor
Juan Jenssen
Message 5 of 9 (8,560 Views)

Thanks for your reply.

Here my comments to your suggestions:

have you tried ?

- put back the old processor: right now i just have the one i have

- update the microcode: Like I said in my first comment, I'm not able to. But, like you said, F25 seems to be before V 1.07. So my question is: Could anyone tell me if this Board supports F25?? Maybe I need an older version (like 1.06 or 1.05??)? Is there a way to get it?

- check version: I'm sure I have version 1.07 and that the stepping is F25

- replace new processor: it'd imply buying a new one, which I'm trying to avoid if i could fix the problem with the one i have.

Thanks for your comments,
Juan
Honored Contributor
Pieter 't Hart
Message 6 of 9 (8,560 Views)

- replace new processor: it'd imply buying a new one, which I'm trying to avoid if i could fix the problem with the one i have.

no, that's not what i meant to say.
I meant you do the microcode update with the original processor of the system installed. and only after the mc-upcrade put in the "new" processor.
ofcourse if you have only one processor (and no original cpu) this procedure is not possible.
Occasional Visitor
Juan Jenssen
Message 7 of 9 (8,560 Views)

I think it gets down to knowing if this Board supports F25 and if for that I need to get an older (rather than a newer) update version. I've searched the Web and couldn't find versions earlier than 1.07. Maybe HP can provide it for me?
Occasional Contributor
bhall
Message 8 of 9 (8,560 Views)

I'm having the exact same problem. I upgraded the CPU to a P4 2.8GHz with hyper-threading (and the latest BIOS even has the option for hyper threading enabled). When I boot up, I'm getting the microcode error. When I attempt to run the microcode update, it says it is flashing it to 1.09 (even tried 1.08), but it always stays at 1.07. Why isn't the microcode update applying? If you find any solution, please post.
Occasional Visitor
Mutahhar Bashir
Message 9 of 9 (8,560 Views)

Just Today i have upgraded my D530 SFF with 3.0Ghz HT ,
my bios version was 1.11 , as expected it gave me the microcode error, processor is stepping F32,
I have flashed my Bios to the latest version , thats available on HP site sp28567.exe
and that's it, no need to install the microcode update sp31629.exe
My Pc is working Great, with Ht enabled
I am not very good in hardware, but i like to take risks,
and i guess you too should take the risk,
it's ur luck if u get ur way,
upgrade the bios with Cd rom and Enjoy
Best Of Luck
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.