HP EliteDesk 800 G1 Tower Upgrade to Win 8.1 Completed (512 Views)
Regular Visitor
ABWatkins
Message 1 of 7 (606 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP EliteDesk 800 G1 Tower Upgrade to Win 8.1

I've installed and configured a new EliteDesk 800 G1 Tower system, which came with Windows 7 Pro (as a downgrade from Windows 8.1 Pro).  Tech support didn't really understand my question - what is the process and where do I get the software to perform an upgrade to Win 8.1 (since I am told I purchased the license)?  Thanks.

- Alan.

Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 2 of 7 (604 Views)

Re: HP EliteDesk 800 G1 Tower Upgrade to Win 8.1

Hi, Alan:

Didn't your PC come with a set of W8.1 recovery disks?

if so you should be able to use those, but be advised that you will lose the ability to reinstall W7 unless you created a system image.

If your PC did not come with a set of W8.1 recovery disks, call HP for the country you live in at the link below.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

Call the number listed for business PC's and inform the customer services rep that you need a set of W8.1 recovery disks.

You will need to have the serial number handy to provide to the customer services rep.

Regular Visitor
ABWatkins
Message 3 of 7 (577 Views)

Thanks, Paul.

The disk I originally found was just a "Driver Recovery DVD" for Win 8.1, but it didn't appear to contain the OS.  After your message, I dug back through the packaged materials and found the Win 8.1 OS DVD (the cellophane envelope window was stuck to the back of another item).

I've already made a system image of my current Win 7 configuration, in case I want to revert back, but I don't think I'll need to.

I appreciate the quick reply and assistance in preparing to upgrade.

- Alan.

Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 4 of 7 (573 Views)

You're very welcome, Alan.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Best Regards,

Paul

Occasional Visitor
Sailorgal78
Message 5 of 7 (557 Views)

I am trying to upgrade to 8.1 pro from 7 and am having difficulties.  I get to the Startup Menu and press F9 to get the Boot Menu.  According to the directions that came with the tower, I'm suppose to click on Drive Options (advanced) and delete all drives except Drive 0 Unallocated Space.  This is not an option for me. I'm stuck because if I just continue then it goes into setup and then when it asks me where I want Windows to be installed, I hit a brick wall again.  What am I suppose to be doing that I obviously am not?

Regular Visitor
ABWatkins
Message 6 of 7 (540 Views)

I haven't heard about the Drive Options; although, in other upgrades, Windows didn't care if there was Unallocated space, as long as there was sufficient space on the main (C:) drive for the installation.

I'm about to run the upgrade on my system today, so I'll see if I encounter any similar problems; and, if not, let you know what steps I used.  In reading the Microsoft upgrade tutorial page (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-from-windows-7-tutorial), it looks like it should be straight-forward.  NOTE - This is different than running the Win8.1 Recovery DVD provided with the HP EliteDesk Tower, and I recommend following the HP steps.  I am going to run the Microsoft Upgrade Assistant, just to see what it reports.

- Alan.

Regular Visitor
ABWatkins
Message 7 of 7 (512 Views)

HP EliteDesk 800 G1 Tower Upgrade to Win 8.1 Completed

Well, this turned out to be a rather painful, 2-day process, and I'm still re-installing applications.  During the bootup using the Win 8.1 OS disc, it did require me to delete all volumes and partitions on the first physical HDD (Drive 0) where it wants to install Windows.  It creates three new partitions (two are system partitions and not directly accessible, one is the new C: drive).  My tower is configured with three internal hard drives and one external USB hard drive for backups, so I didn't lose any of my personal settings or data.  The Microsoft Upgrade Assistant didn't help me with anything, except to remind me to decrypt the encrypted hard drive.

Once Win 8.1 setup created the new partitions, the rest of the installation went about the same as Windows XP or 7 installations; however, it wants you to login to (or create) a Microsoft Live Account, and that becomes the login for the computer.  It can be changed later by managing User Accounts; however, Win 8.1 is hooked in to Microsoft online, which I don't want to have enabled - for privacy and security reasons.  It will take me a while to get used to the environment, there are several options which used to be on the Win 7 Start Menu (clicking on the globe in the lower-left corner), which are no longer available or hard to find in Win 8.1.  Patience is the key here.

So, if you are going to do this upgrade, be sure to backup all your settings and data onto some other media (not the primary hard drive).  It's also a good idea to create a system image of Win 7 on a DVD before you start.  Make sure you have installation disks or copies of program files (e.g., saved application downloads) for all the software applications you will be using.  If the application installation program doesn't automatically ask if you want to create a shortcut on the desktop, it will end up in the new Win 8.1 Applications area - I had to go into File Explorer to copy the shortcut from the Start Menu (subfolder) into my Desktop folder, because I'm just trying to use a familiar interface before trying to use the new 8.1 interface.

- Alan.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.