HP DC7800 hangs on boot with USB XP (800 Views)
Occasional Advisor
cscheetah
Message 1 of 10 (800 Views)

HP DC7800 hangs on boot with USB XP

We have 2 different hp DC7800 computers that both have the same version of windows XP installed one has all drivers and older BIOS 1 is missing some drivers and upgraded BIOS. both have a issue when there are USB devices plug-in in to will past the BIOS screen and start to load windows XP but after the loading screen will just turn black and will not proceed to the blue screen and the log in screen. if we unplug the USB devices and then turn on the computer it will get to the log in screen and load windows just fine as well as the USB devices don’t have an issue. I have tried to install all the drivers, upgrade bios, tried a different motherboard same HDD, different USB ports all same issue. both computers are using different devices. both have a USB keyboard and 1 also has a USB mouse. I have gone through BIOS and tried to turn off and on a bunch of different settings with nothing making a different I would appreciate and help.

Valued Contributor
Bright3
Message 2 of 10 (685 Views)

Re: HP DC7800 hangs on boot with USB XP

hi, ok any OS will hang if you plug any usb prior to boot the pc.

Occasional Advisor
cscheetah
Message 3 of 10 (677 Views)

what happens is the computer will be booted up plug in the usb's like mouse or keyboard for example reboot the PC with everything working and PC will not boot unless the USB mouse or keyboard is unplugged and PC will have to been rebooted again. once it gets to the login screen then you can plu in the USB devices again and everything is fine till next reboot

Valued Contributor
Bright3
Message 4 of 10 (671 Views)

ok, try reseting the bios, press f10 while powering on the pc, go to apply defaults, press f10 again to save changes and exit, the pc should reboot by itself when select save and exit

Occasional Advisor
cscheetah
Message 5 of 10 (664 Views)

i have tried to reset the bios and even upgrade the bios the the latest version didnt matter

Valued Contributor
Bright3
Message 6 of 10 (648 Views)

Valued Contributor
Bright3
Message 7 of 10 (645 Views)

also check device manager under control panel check if there is a yellow question mark.
Occasional Advisor
cscheetah
Message 8 of 10 (625 Views)

1 of the 2 computers have all drivers the other does not but bothis still have the same issue

Occasional Advisor
cscheetah
Message 9 of 10 (589 Views)

Anyone any have clue what is causing this issue? I have also tried to replace everything but the HDD from 2 of the computers and still the same issue so it seems to be something on the HDD software wise that is causing this issue.

I would appreciate and help on this matter.

Honored Contributor
Rainald T
Message 10 of 10 (578 Views)

[ Edited ]

Bright3:

|| hi, ok any OS will hang if you plug any usb prior to boot the pc.

NO!

If the sytem ist set up the correct way the computer just botts normally!

Rainald
P.S. Pls put brain into gear prior to writing ... ;-)

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.