HP DC5100 Desktop PC Using PCI Video w/Built In one (1509 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Mehdi Anis
Message 1 of 8 (1,509 Views)

HP DC5100 Desktop PC Using PCI Video w/Built In one

Hi,
I just bought an ATI Rage 128 VR 128VR 32 MB PCI 3D Video Graphics Card (eBay# 120490009190) and an HP 19" LCD to setup DUAL monitor for my PC.

When I plug in the PCI card, computer doesn't boot up. Both monitors are connected, none of them shows any pic/text. I get BEEP small pause BEEP small pause BEEP. If I take away the PCI card, computer starts fine on onboard vga.

I tested the video card in two other (non hp) machines with Giagabyte motherboard. It worked just fine.

Is it possible to use onboard video along with a PCI vga card and setup DUAL monitor? What I am doing worng?

I will appreciate a reply. Thank you.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
John Kirk
Message 2 of 8 (1,509 Views)

Re: HP DC5100 Desktop PC Using PCI Video w/Built In one

Mehdi

I believe that you should be able to use onboard video with a PCI graphics card installed. Try installing the graphics card in the other PCI slot.

The other problem I see here is that this graphics card is a rather old model and there could be a PCI bus specification issue between the graphics card and the computer.

Hope this helps.

John K.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Mehdi Anis
Message 3 of 8 (1,509 Views)

John Kirk,
Thanks for your reply. I will try the other PCI slot. I think I already tried both. But I will still try both PCI slots.

The PCI VGA card I bought could be OLD from 2010, but not too old for the HP DC5100 SlimFormFactor desktop computer in question. I was thinking other way around, the VGA card is too new for this OLD machine!

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
John Kirk
Message 4 of 8 (1,509 Views)

Mehdi

The dc5100 is a late 2004 - 2005 computer design. The Rage 128 VR is a 1998 graphics chip design.

Is the Power light blinking? This would indicate an error code.

Hope this helps.

John K.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Mehdi Anis
Message 5 of 8 (1,509 Views)

I think you are right about OLD video card. I didn't know the video card is that old.

Yes the POWER LED blinks if the video card is present. It BEEPS 5 times with small paus, then it pauses couple of seconds or so, then 5 more beeps, and it continues that way.

Can you recommend a compatible VGA video card for this DC5100 SFF computer? I am looking for a low cost one, as browsing is needed on 2nd monitor. It's a business pc and no game is ever played.

I will appreciate if you can give me some model# or such so that I can get one from NewEgg, ebay or TigerDirect. I am not sure if HP sells one, but I don't want to pay cut throat prices.

Thank you.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Mehdi Anis
Message 6 of 8 (1,509 Views)

ONE MORE thing, if I go to BIOS using F10, ADVANE, Device Option, I Do Not See an option for using built in PCI VGA or disabling it. Does this option only appear when there are multiple video cards? OR Do I need a BIOS update?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 7 of 8 (1,509 Views)

The error codes are shown on this doc. 5 beeps indicates a memory problem. http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00281918/c00281918.pdf
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Mehdi Anis
Message 8 of 8 (1,509 Views)

To Ron:
I think it's "Power Red* 6 blinks, 1 second apart Defective or missing graphics". Probably I counted wrong, it was 6 beeps.

If memory was bad, it would beep without the PCI vga.

So, anyone suggest some vga card that will work on this pc?

I am confused, why PCI won't work in this PC. Has PCI standard changed over the time? How come then my other 2 machines with Gigabyte (Bought in last 2 years) can use the same PCI VGA Card? Strange.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation