HP D530 SFF Power Supply Failure Information (3032 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Chris Bagger
Message 1 of 15 (3,032 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP D530 SFF Power Supply Failure Information

Having recently acquired an HP d530 Small Form Factor Business Desktop PC, I have recently learned about the smoke/sparks/"boom" problem with some of the power supplies.

I did a little research and learned that 3 different companies made these power supplies and sold them to HP/Compaq. If your power supply went boom, please reply to this post and let us know who originally made your failed part.

1) LITE-ON, part number PS-5181-1HFE

2) Amperor (Intertek), part number CPS-186P

3) Hipro, part number HP-L185VA3P

Thanks. This information should help figure out if there is a trend relating to the failures associated with one specific subcontractor.
Occasional Visitor
Douglas Staley
Message 2 of 15 (3,032 Views)

Re: HP D530 SFF Power Supply Failure Information

Mine is a LITE-ON and it failed tonight. I found a 3-pin device blown, and possibly an IC right next to it- a UC3845B PWM controller IC.

I put it all back together before I saw the 3-pin device blown, but I just discovered the back half of the (TO-92 I'd guess) plastic case here on the floor, and it had to come out of this power supply.
Occasional Visitor
Barry Begley
Message 3 of 15 (3,032 Views)

I have several of these. They are the PS-5181-1HFE. I have blown up about 15 of them. I am about to pull my hair out. Can you help me or have any information? Can you tell me what i am doing wrong? I still have about 30 more to go through and I dont want to blow them up. It happens as soon as I plug them in. Thanks.
Occasional Visitor
Douglas Staley
Message 4 of 15 (3,032 Views)

Barry,
I don't know if it is reliable, but I saw a couple articles on the internet that said that HP's supplier used a poor quality hot melt glue that is hygroscopic. When it absorbs water it becomes conductive, and after sitting for long periods absorbs enough water that the conductivity overloads the supply.

Your best bet is to either buy a supply that has been reconditioned- including removal of this hot glue- or to find a way to chemically dissolve the glue before powering up the power supply. This all assumes that what I saw is accurate. It could probably be checked with an ohmmeter if you're so inclined.
Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 5 of 15 (3,032 Views)

There was a post a while back about the bad glue on these and there was a company that claimed to rebuild the supplies at a flat rate. Try this site. http://webdevsys.com/d530psu.php
Occasional Visitor
K.C. Hall
Message 6 of 15 (3,032 Views)

I work for a non-profit organization which recently upgraded from d530 sff units. 30 units were "removed from service" and stored in my work area for clean-up and reconditioning. After sitting (no power) for several weeks, over half of them have failed when plugged back in (PSU sparks and smokes). I have checked some and they seem to all be the PS-5181-1HFE. We had planned to put these units into service for use by our clients and their families, but now do not have sufficient numbers for this usage. Any suggestions, or help from HP would be greatly appreciated.
Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 7 of 15 (3,032 Views)

Try the link in the previous post.
Advisor
Jay Weaver
Message 8 of 15 (3,032 Views)

If this is a known issue by HP than they should extend the warranty on these units. I have approximately 200 D530 SFF and have lost about 20 power supplies.
Occasional Visitor
Danny Lopez
Message 9 of 15 (3,032 Views)

I work in info systems tech support and none of us techs want to plug the power cord into these bombs!!!! I once had 3 of these blow-up on me in a row!!!! Talk about being gun-shy, but these things really blow!!! Not fun!!! It is has kind of made me paranoid about pc(s) lol.

Not only that, you have to clean the heat sinks on these suckers often or else they will overheat and shut-off.
Frequent Advisor
kpackard8
Message 10 of 15 (3,032 Views)

I bought two 530 SFF's off lease and the PS blew on one (BANG!...SIZZLE...SMOKE).

Bought a replacement PS off eBay and it lasted about a week (BANG again).

I ended up stripping all the usable parts and scrapping the unit. Not worth it to chase good money with bad IMHO.
Occasional Visitor
sfliet
Message 11 of 15 (2,547 Views)

Actual problem was "sparks - boom - smoke". Semantics, I know!

PSU is a model PS-5181-1HFE. It was working fine but out of service for about 4 months. Went to power it up and boom. Computer sat in my shop out back during down time.

Is there a recall on this Power Supply? I will do some further checking but hope for a reply.

Sfliet
Occasional Visitor
Chris Bagger
Message 12 of 15 (2,547 Views)

Surely the warranty on these power supplies has expired by now.

My suggestion would be to get a new or used Amperor or Hipro power supply in replacement of your LITE-ON supply.
Occasional Visitor
Vic Millan
Message 13 of 15 (2,547 Views)

just bought 22 of dc5000 from ecost. already lost 8 from sparking power supply. PS-5181-1HFE. what's a good replacement that will not spark?
Occasional Visitor
Vince Vargas
Message 14 of 15 (2,547 Views)

PS-5181-1HFE

I have two PC but the other one is at work and that one went out to plug-in power and boom
PLS get back to me when you get this,

Vince
Occasional Visitor
Rob_Jamison
Message 15 of 15 (561 Views)

I have a HIPRO model HP-L1520F3P Rev:01

Have started to replace the electrolytics as 6 had bulged. Also some strange brown gunk strewn randomly within the PSU. Took a while to clean that off.It looks like an exploded cap but I cannot find the remnants (electrodes).

C207 missing (under screw-on heatsink) but no evidence it was ever present and no value indicated.

The seal was intact but I suspect the unit may have been dropped as there is a Darlington which has been shaken loose and the tracks have lifted slightly. I have tried to stabilise it but I feel the tracks may need to be rewired. 

When plugged in and PWRBTN pressed, characteristic 4x red led 2s repeating pattern is given.

Pity, its a nice size (albeit a bit heavy) and would be nice if upgraded. Currently no HDD, no RAM and a 2GHz Celeron.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.