Re: HP Compaq dc7100 Doesn't See New Floppy Drive (196 Views)
Respected Contributor
Paul Nunez
Message 1 of 7 (196 Views)

HP Compaq dc7100 Doesn't See New Floppy Drive

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I can't seem to get my dc7100 cmt to recognize a floppy diskette drive I wish to install.

Tried 3 different drives, couple different cables. From the manuals it seems you simply attached the data and power cables - no jumpers that I can find.

One of the drives I tried was pulled from a Campaq d530C; when I installed it back into the d530C, that system recognized the drive during boot (requiring me to press F1 to accept it).

Any ideas?

TIA,

Paul

P.S. This thread has been moevd from Archived Desktops and Workstations Boards > Windows based to Business PCs - Compaq, Elite, Pro. - HP Forum Moderator

Honored Contributor
Mahesh Kumar Malik
Message 2 of 7 (196 Views)

Re: HP Compaq dc7100 Doesn't See New Floppy Drive

Hi Paul

Please check whether Floppy drive is enabled in BIOS setup

Regards
Mahesh
Respected Contributor
Paul Nunez
Message 3 of 7 (196 Views)

Hi Mahesh,

Thanks, but I think I've done that. After the drive has been connected, when the system boots, there's no message indicating new hardware is present (like there was when I put the drive back in the d530 PC). When I go into the BIOS setup, the floppy is not listed and there's no option to add it.?.

Also, when the PC boots, the LED on the floppy drive never lights - not once.

Paul
Honored Contributor
Rich S
Message 4 of 7 (196 Views)

Hi Paul,

I have an HP and I can not get the floppy replaced. My kids jammed something in there and the ONLY floppy that will work on my HP is another HP of the same model. Its a bios thing. I didn't see what kind of computer you have so I can not tell you specifics.
Respected Contributor
Paul Nunez
Message 5 of 7 (196 Views)

Hi Rich,

Those pesky kids...

The PC I'm trying to install a new floppy drive in is an HP Compaq dc7100 CMT. It did not come with a floppy.

The PC I took one from was an HP Compaq d530C (if I recall correctly; I'm not in front of it now).

Paul
Honored Contributor
Rich S
Message 6 of 7 (196 Views)

Hi PAul,

It looks like the only floppy that is an option was a USB.

http://h30143.www3.hp.com/configure2.cfm?sid=18481#m_38

That was per the specs of your computer. If the controller accepts a 1.44 floppy, the bios would have to be set first. There are normally no switches involved, just that you use the proper ribbon wire made (same as CS on hard drives).

I know my older HP has a proprietary floppy or a special model but I do not see that on yours. Although there might be a good reason why they offer only the USB one.

Hope that helps....

:)
Respected Contributor
Paul Nunez
Message 7 of 7 (196 Views)

Hi,

Actually, if you look a bit further down that list of removeable storage options, you'll see the 1.44MB Interal Floppy Disk Drive Kit.

Well, at least I'm more confident it aint me ;o).

Thanks,

Paul
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.