HP Compaq d530 Restart Problem (1744 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Janzen
Message 1 of 29 (1,744 Views)

HP Compaq d530 Restart Problem

Recently I installed Windows7 on a brandnew HDD in my d530 PC.
After installing new software it sometimes happens that a restart is required.
During the restart, manually or automatically Windows is shut of normally, the HPinventscreen appears and disappears and then the screen turns black and no further activity.
The power light burns, the fan is working, that is all.
After pressing the power button the computer stops, and boots normally when I depres the button again.
Any suggestions?
Regards,
Hans
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 2 of 29 (1,744 Views)

Re: HP Compaq d530 Restart Problem

Go into setup and make sure that the new hard drive is correctly recognized. Save changes at each step as you exit setup usually F10 if you don't the new HD won't be seen by the OS when you try to load it. From the symptoms that you have posted your HD is most likely not seen.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Janzen
Message 3 of 29 (1,744 Views)

Thanks Ron.
I went into setup. Everything seems normal. The new excelstore 160GB HD is fully recognised.
The funny thing is that the problem only occurs at a restart, not when I normally cold start the PC.
It is not too much of a nuisance, but I just wonder why..
I saw a HDD test in the BIOS setup.
I'll give it a try tomorrow. It 's a bit late now.
Regards,
Hans
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Janzen
Message 4 of 29 (1,744 Views)

Tests in setup passed succesfully.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Janzen
Message 5 of 29 (1,750 Views)

HDD tests in setup passed succesfully.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Sinisa Oreskovic
Message 6 of 29 (1,750 Views)

I have the exact same problem.
may this be a problem with chipset driver?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Sinisa Oreskovic
Message 7 of 29 (1,750 Views)

Hi again,

Problem solved!

I found out that my boot partition is not marked as active (in disk management)
Instead of that 100 Mb reserved space for operating sistem was marked as Active.

I marked boot partition as active and restarted.
After that I needed to fix boot problem by booting from DVD and using Startup recovery tool

Voila

Please use plain text.
Advisor
c_patrick1965
Message 8 of 29 (1,750 Views)

Hans, did you solve the problem? Do you need to compare BIOS settings with someone else's? I do know that a swap in the Controller Order from DVD drive first to hard drive first caused the same problem on one of my D530 SFF. I just tried it on the other and the hard drive started, but with a delay and the OS acted sluggish. By the way, have you put in the 2.44 BIOS version that has the fan speed adjustment from 1 to 4 to help cool your GeForce FX 5200 AGP?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Janzen
Message 9 of 29 (1,750 Views)

Hi,
The problem is still there on both PC's.
I checked the bootpartition: active
Bootsequence is CD>Floppy>USB>HD
Bios version is 2.44
On one d530 OS is Windows7, the other Vista SP2.
I may be wrong, but I have the feeling that the problems started at the time of switching from WinXP Pro to a.m. OS.
Or, after upgrading BIOS to ver 2.44
Anyway, it is not too much of a nuisance...
Hans
Please use plain text.
Advisor
c_patrick1965
Message 10 of 29 (1,750 Views)

On these 2 D530 SFF I always have the HD first in boot order and everything else disabled unless I put the CD first to do something like reinstall an OS from a CD or boot a "live" Linux desktop on CD. Otherwise, there's a detection sequence with blinking cursor and black screen that unnecessarily checks everything put in order first. There's also Controller Order under Boot Order in the BIOS that should have Integrated IDE first and Integrated SATA second.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Janzen
Message 11 of 29 (1,807 Views)

Thanks.
I have followed your suggestions, but to no avail.
Which OS do you use on your d530 SFF?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
c_patrick1965
Message 12 of 29 (1,807 Views)

(Sorry, earlier I associated Controller Order's Integrated IDE as exclusive with the DVD drive, but I realize it's not.) I have xp on one and on the other I have xp and Vista partitioned. I'm pretty sure the Barracuda 7200-7 160 gb hard drives were, as yours, replacements before I bought the used computers. Neither has any jumpers and the default BIOS settings apply successfully to each, so I guess the computers accepted them perfectly just like with new AGP stuff. I'm just now reminded that the default boot order is arranged exactly as you mention. Perhaps, with the default boot order as such (having both floppy and USB boot detection in-between CD and hard drive), there may have been boot interference with proper OS installation during those occasional installation restarts. It's an idea. By the way, I changed the (BIOS) default AGP Aperature setting from 64 mb to 128 mb to accommodate the memory of the graphics card. Also, the fan idle speed can be raised from 1 (default) up to 4.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Leo M
Message 13 of 29 (1,807 Views)

Hi Guys,

I'm having the problem with my D530.

With Xp, I was able to restart with no problem. As soon as I installed Vista, I would need to perform a hard shut down
otherwise the PC would hang with no video out. The same problem is now occuring with Windows 7.

The problem is present in both BIOS versions 2.43 and 2.44.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Leo
Please use plain text.
Advisor
c_patrick1965
Message 14 of 29 (1,807 Views)

At first I had momentary screen freezes. I discovered in BIOS under Advanced in Device Options an AGP Aperture Size setting that's default 64MB, so I changed it to 128 to match the card's memory size. I noticed the card's heat sink seems too hot without a fan, so I mounted and wired one in and raised the main fan's BIOS (2.44) idle speed to 4 in Onboard Devices also under Advanced. Otherwise, except having the hard drive in first boot position, all other BIOS settings are default.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Janzen
Message 15 of 29 (1,807 Views)

Yesterday I installed Windows 7 on my 3rd d530SFF that so far had WinXP OS.
To my surprise the Restart Problem that I have on my 2 other similar PC's is absent.
The bios version of this one is the much older (2004) 2.50, the others have both the more recent (2008) 2.44
Now I wonder if this biosversion matter has anything to do with the restart problem.
On the other hand I am reluctant to switch back to an older version just to see if it makes a difference...
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Alexander Griesser
Message 16 of 29 (1,807 Views)

I have exactly the same problem. Tried to install Windows 7 on two HP d530 CMT machines, both have this problem. Tried upgrading the BIOS, tweaking ACPI settings in the BIOS, all to no avail. I think it might have something to do with the missing chipset support for the Intel 865 chipset on Windows 7 for this machine. It's not really a showstopper though, because instead of a reboot, you can just power off the machine and power it on again then, but it's one of these cosmetic errors that simply bugs me :)
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Edward Villamaria
Message 17 of 29 (1,807 Views)

Has anyone found the solution to this problem? I have pretty much the same specs as all the d530's above and also the reboot hanging problem.

It's more than an annoyance actually because whenever an automatic Windows Update is downloaded and installed at 3AM the PC reboots and gets hung.

ENV
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Rainald T
Message 18 of 29 (1,807 Views)

Esward,
unfortunately I don't have a *solution*.
With my d530USDT everything is well.

I just formatted a 160GN IDE-HDD left over from my sons's computer and then istalled XP3.
Then Vista Pro.
Then Win7 Pro.

For Vista and Win7 I had to tweak a bit with drivers (audio, video, NIC) but no problem whatsoever.

The system works fine with "triple boot".

Rainald
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
brad walton
Message 19 of 29 (1,807 Views)

I have the same problem I just installed vista and it was rebooting fine then I installed the wireless drivers for the PCI card and downloaded all the updates and now I have the issue
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Rainald T
Message 20 of 29 (1,807 Views)

Brad,
which issue?

Rainald
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
EagleForce_NL
Message 21 of 29 (1,854 Views)

Where did you guys find updated drivers for Windows7 for this D530?
Or wont need any specific?

Thanks in advance!
"If it aint broken, dont fix it"
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Alexander Griesser
Message 22 of 29 (1,854 Views)

You don't need any specific drivers, everything comes with windows 7 directly, nothing special if I recall correctly. it's just that rebooting doesn't work, and still doesn't, there's still no solution for it as it seems.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
EagleForce_NL
Message 23 of 29 (1,854 Views)

Thanks for your speedy answer......;)
When I was answering this thread I was already installing with WIN7 Ultimate, didnt want to wait anyway.
All done, updates done, and I can restart just fine. Seems I am a lucky bird then, well, so far.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Rainald T
Message 24 of 29 (1,854 Views)

Eagle,
there may be problems with the grahics drivers. When the standard Windows graphics driver is installed it may happen that stand-by and hiberbation modes do not work properly
Audio is another common problem.

Pls check these issues and report back.

Rainald

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
EagleForce_NL
Message 25 of 29 (1,854 Views)

Hi,

All worked well, sound and video........i write WORKED.....because it had the standard VGA drivers........I wanted to install drivers for the (old) nvidia quadro4 nvs 200, however, couldnt find them. Not even on NVIDIA site, starts with the 210 series :(
So, found VISTA drivers for it......installed, rebooted....and......system boots normal, hear all well, but gives me black screen and "check videocable"......now I booted in safe 640/480 modus, and comes with screen. Need to disable those driver, I mean, de-install. ANYONE know where to get these nvidia quadro4 nvs200 drivers?
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation