HP Compaq D330st sff, Power LED blinks red three times. (3549 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Gus Aranegui
Message 1 of 6 (3,549 Views)

HP Compaq D330st sff, Power LED blinks red three times.

Hello all, Yesterday, while I was in the shower, the power went out momentarily, and came back on. It was out for maybe ten seconds. I have three computers, networked, on, and surge protected. When I came out, they were all off, so I proceeded to turn them all on. The two others did without problems, but the D330 would, blink red three times, once a second, followed by a two second pause. I went to the HP business support center, where I found the LED codes for the d330, and according to that document,This is what it said, "Processor is not installed, NOTE: This condition indicates a missing or improperly installed processor, not a defective one. Make sure there is a processor in the system. Reseat the processor and verify that it is installed properly." The CPU from this unit is a 2.6, I had a spare 2.8 that I was not 100% sure it was good, so I switched it out, but afterwards, it still does the same thing, flashes red three times. One of my other PCs is a HP Compaq DC5000, same socket, but a 3.0, I'm thinking about trying to switch it out with that one to see if it is the CPU, other than that, I guess it could be the MB? I don't know. If anyone has any ideas, please help, I would really appreciate it. Thank You Very Much.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
John Kirk
Message 2 of 6 (3,549 Views)

Re: HP Compaq D330st sff, Power LED blinks red three times.

Gus

The blink code you have does indicate that the processor is not installed. A power failure is not something that is going to unseat a processor so I have to think that something else has gone wrong and the blink code is in error.

I am going to take a shot in the dark here but I would clear CMOS first. Unplug the power cord then press the Clear CMOS button for 10 seconds.

If that does not solve the problem I would try the Failsafe Boot Block ROM. See this document:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/CoreRedirect.jsp?redirectReason=DocIndexPDF&prodSer...

Hope this helps.

John K.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Gus Aranegui
Message 3 of 6 (3,549 Views)

Hi John, Thank You for replying so quickly. Sorry I didn't reply yesterday, but I wasn't here all day. Believe it or not, earlier today I had written you a long reply, and I was just adding some reference sites at the end, and as my luck would have it, bam! The power went out! Stupid me, I have three professional grade UPS's, but I never connected any of them. Well, i'm rewriting everything, i'll learn one day. Anyways, I tried what you said, I unplugged all cables on the PC, held in the bios button for 15 seconds, (just to be sure), plugged everything back in, nothing, Three red flashes, just as before. Then I went ahead and did it while all cables were still plugged in, including the power cable, 15 seconds, just as before. It had no effect. It kept right on flashing, red three times. Regarding your second suggestion, (the Fail-safe Boot Block ROM), you are supposed to use a CD for that, my DVD tray won't open, much less read. I am pretty sure I am facing a motherboard issue here. Back about six months ago, my HP DC5000, which is the same motherboard, did the same thing. I had shut it off, and when I turned it back on, I was getting the three red flashes. Being the codes said no CPU, I figured the CPU was bad, and purchased a new one, installed it, and it kept right on flashing. That's why I have a spare CPU. I thought it had to be either the motherboard, or the PSU. So I connected a new PSU I had, and it gave me the same result, (the three red flashes). So I ordered a new motherboard, installed it, and it's been running fine ever since. Now when this one happened two days ago, I didn't even think about what I went through with the other one till I did a little research, and found that this is a common problem with these computers, so much so that HP, up until JAN of 2008, was furnishing replacement motherboards free of charge regardless of warranty status. (MANUFACTURE DEFECT) I purchased Three of these, I sent one to my mom in Florida. I wish I would have known about this when the dc5000 went out, I would have got the motherboard for free. Here are three pages of reference: (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00756096&jumpi...)Note: the d530 is the same exact machine as the dc5000. (http://www.badcaps.net/)
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Gus Aranegui
Message 4 of 6 (3,549 Views)

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Josegre Carrasco
Message 5 of 6 (3,549 Views)

Hi guys! I had the same and I followed all the instructions BUT the only different thing was that I unplugged the battery for a while and the PUM! THE COMPUTER WORKS! I have a dc5000s
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
HPTestNow
Message 6 of 6 (3,549 Views)

Josegre's suggestion to remove the battery was the magic solution that fixed this issue here. Thanks Josegre!
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation