HP COMPAQ D530 CMT - UPDATED BIOS FOR NEWER P4 CPU's (3344 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Craig Koch
Message 1 of 9 (3,344 Views)

HP COMPAQ D530 CMT - UPDATED BIOS FOR NEWER P4 CPU's

I am currently using a HP/COMPAQ D530 CMT for my computer at work. It was originally supplied with a 2.8 Ghz P4, 800 Mhz FSB, 1MB L2 Prescott CPU. I recently purchased a 3.4 Ghz P4, 800 Mhz FSB, 1 MB L2 Prescott CPU. When I installed it, the bios stated "CPU Not Supported". I'm currently using version 2.44 for the bios. Does HP have a bios that will support my new CPU? If so, can you please provide a link to where I can download it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Craig
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
John Kirk
Message 2 of 9 (3,344 Views)

Re: HP COMPAQ D530 CMT - UPDATED BIOS FOR NEWER P4 CPU's

Craig

The latest BIOS is 2.44.

As Intel has decided that any processor less than a Dual Core is obsolete and provides no information any longer I am not able to research your processor. However I can say that there are two 3.4 GHz processors with similar specifications. One is built on the 90nm process and the other is built on the 65nm process. The d530 should support the 90nm process processors but would probably not support the 65nm process processors.

Hope this helps.

John K.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Craig Koch
Message 3 of 9 (3,344 Views)

I purchased the Intel Pentium 4 Processor 550 w/ HT (Prescott), (sSpec # SL7E6), 3.4Ghz, 800Mhz FSB, 90nm, D0 Stepping, 1MB L2 Cache, Socket 478. This is all I know about the processor. I did a lot of research before I purchased this processer and was convinced it would work. I assume it is compatible with the hardware but possibly HP hasn't kept up the with Bios & Microcode for the hardware to recognize this processor? Any further help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Craig Koch
Message 4 of 9 (3,344 Views)

Is there a way to check what version of Microcode I currently have installed on my HP/Compaq D530 CMT? My current 2.8Ghz CPU is F33 stepping and the 3.4 Ghz CPU I want to upgrade to is F34 stepping. I would like to find a version of the Microcode that will accept both CPU's. Again, any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Rainald T
Message 5 of 9 (3,344 Views)

Craig,
just wondering: Is it really worth hassle?
What would you really gain?

Rainald
(a d530USDT fa)
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Craig Koch
Message 6 of 9 (3,344 Views)

I know there is only a gain of about 18% CPU speed between the 3.4Ghz & 2.8Ghz. I use this HP/Compaq at work as a CAD workstation. Since a replacement isn't in the near future, any speed improvement would really benefit me. I currently have 2GB RAM. If I can get the 3.4Ghz CPU to work, I will upgrade to 4GB RAM. I know only 3.25GB-3.75GB will be recognized by the 32 bit operating system though. Has anyone successfully installed a 3.4Ghz in their D530 CMT? I would really like to make this work if it's possible? Please continue to help! Thank you!
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Simon Brook Heather
Message 7 of 9 (3,344 Views)

Have you got the latest 2.44 BIOS installed? You will see your current version displayed when you boot. This version has support for the F34 stepping:

Installs the latest microcode updates for the F29, F33, and F34 processor steppings of the Intel Pentium 4 processor.

NOTE: To determine processor stepping, access the System Information selection from the File menu of F10 BIOS Setup utility.

You can download this BIOS version from the HP website.

- Simon.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Craig Koch
Message 8 of 9 (3,344 Views)

I've upgraded the memory to 3 GB RAM. I am still wanting to try and get the 3.4 Ghz P4 CPU to work with this HP COMPAQ D530 CMT. Anyone out there with any other suggestions that may work. I have taken this problem as a personal challenge and would like to succeed! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 9 of 9 (3,344 Views)

Hi, Craig:

I found this post which may be of help to you.

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1127083&prodTypeId=...

If you scroll way down to Richard Humphrey's reply, you will see that for some reason, the d530 works with the SL8K4 Prescott processor, but not the SL7E6. He had the same issue as you did with that one.

Question for you: Did you use the same heat sink that came with the 2.8GHz processor?

Paul
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation