Re: HP 6200 Pro 32-bit Windows upgrade to 64-bit (977 Views)
Occasional Visitor
iskratrans
Message 1 of 3 (1,054 Views)

HP 6200 Pro 32-bit Windows upgrade to 64-bit

[ Edited ]

Hello.

I just got HP 6200 Pro with additional memory - 8GB all together.

As this PC comes with 32-bit Windows 7 preinstalled, does anybody know where to get 64-bit version. Rescue CD-s that come with PC says "This disk contain 32-bit software. :(

Can anybody point me where to get offical 64-bit version from HP instead of preinstalled 32-bit version?

Thanks for help!

Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 2 of 3 (1,046 Views)

Re: HP 6200 Pro 32-bit Windows upgrade to 64-bit

[ Edited ]

Hi:

Contact HP for the country you live in at the link below. If they have a separate phone number for business PC's call that number.

Ask the rep if you can have a 64 bit Quick restore DVD kit for your PC. You will need to provide the model number and serial number.

I have a W7 Pro 64 bit quick restore kit for my 8200 Elite, and it also lists the 6200 on it, so I know there is such a thing.  But my PC came with W7 Pro x64.

You just have to hope HP will give\sell you one.

http://welcome.hp.com/country/w1/en/support.html

Paul

Regular Advisor
greg24
Message 3 of 3 (977 Views)

Re: HP 6200 Pro 32-bit Windows upgrade to 64-bit

I had the exact same issue.  HP support was great and sent me a new set of recovery DVDs.  The only problem was they didn't work.  The DVDs restored all of the files but failed with a fbi type error.  Not the red screen one.  I don't have the exact error message handy.  I ended up downloading the iso from digitalriver and put in on a usb thumb drive.  I used the EFI install method, wiped the drive, and it installed perfectly.  Windows 7 works great in EFI mode. 

However there are a couple of EFI issues and I have already contacted HP about them.  One is if you want to dual boot, HP's EFI method doesn't let you pick the default hard drive like you can for legacy installs.  You are stuck with whichever operating system you install first and have to press F9 to select the other drive.  The other issue is when you boot from a EFI install on a USB thumb drive you will no longer be able to legacy boot USB thumb drives.  Also you can't add/change/delete a EFI entry like you can on a Dell system.  I have 4 Windows Boot Managers in my EFI menu and I can't clean them up.  I hope HP fixes these issues.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.