Graphics (Intel) - Can't find requested string (2830 Views)
Occasional Visitor
CA1234139
Message 1 of 14 (2,830 Views)
Accepted Solution

Graphics (Intel) - Can't find requested string

Hi,

I have just updated some drivers as prompted by Windows Update and my graphics icon (in the system tray) now says "Can't find requested string".

If I right-click on the icon, all the options says the same message as above and choosing any of the top three gives the error message "Windows cannot find "Can't find requested string.". Make sure you type the name correctly ..."

Any idea how to fix this?

John
Occasional Visitor
CA1317358
Message 2 of 14 (2,830 Views)

Re: Graphics (Intel) - Can't find requested string

I have the same question!
Honored Contributor
John Y
Message 3 of 14 (2,830 Views)

If I remember right, from my old Intel system, reinstall the graphics driver.
Occasional Visitor
Chris_845
Message 4 of 14 (2,830 Views)

I have been in contact with Intel, and they say the issue is related the regional settings you have set in windows when you run the install.
See link below:
ftp://aiedownload.intel.com/df-support/9142/ENG/readme_2k_xp.txt

You will notice in the notes that the only 'English' language supported is 'United States'!!!

The current suggestion from Intel support is to change regional settings to the US and then re-install the driver!

I am currently testing this now....
Occasional Visitor
Chris_845
Message 5 of 14 (2,830 Views)

Ok... that works!

Changing all my settings to 'United States' rebooting, and then running the install again.

Once you are satisfied the driver is installed you can change the settings back to 'United Kingdom' and it will keep the text in the menus.
Occasional Visitor
CA1234139
Message 6 of 14 (2,830 Views)

Thanks Chris,

Changing the language settings to US works. What a relief ... I was beginning to curse Microsoft's windows update for giving me a dodgy update but now it looks like it is Intel's fault.

John
Occasional Visitor
BR695646
Message 7 of 14 (2,830 Views)

Many thanks for posting that solution - it's been driving me crazy.

Occasional Visitor
Leigh Haynes
Message 8 of 14 (2,830 Views)

I too am experiencing this issue. The suggested work around does work, however I am trying to pre-stage the driver in a sysprep image. In this scenario it is not possible to switch the languages back and forth. Can the driver be fixed to support UK English?
Occasional Visitor
Leigh Haynes
Message 9 of 14 (2,830 Views)

I've got to the bottom of the problem.

It is caused by the presence of a UK English resource file (igfxreng.lrc) in the system32 folder. This file is placed there by older versions of the Intel graphics driver (including the one still required to support the 845G). This file is incompatible with the newer drivers which no longer include UK English and so generates the "Can't find requested string" errors.

The solution is to simply delete this file before installing any of the new US English only drivers.

I would expect any UK English users who update their drivers from the old ones to the new ones will experience this error.
Occasional Visitor
BR695646
Message 10 of 14 (2,830 Views)

Hi, Leigh,

Thanks for investigating and finding the cause - it's much appreciated.

So can you jsut clarify for meâ ¦

I now have everything working as it should, by changing the locale, regional, language and keyboard settings to US, re-booting, re-installing, re-booting, changing everything back to UK and re-booting.

So can I just go ahead and delete the offending file (igfxreng.lrc) or do I need to re-install again?

Many thanks, John.
Occasional Visitor
Leigh Haynes
Message 11 of 14 (2,466 Views)

As you have already performed the language switch workaround, simply deleting the file is sufficient. This will prevent the problem re-occurring next time you update your drivers. You should notice that the file date is older than all the other .lrc files.
Occasional Visitor
BR695646
Message 12 of 14 (2,466 Views)

> > simply deleting the file is sufficient.

I've done that, and all is well.

Many thanks again.

John.
Occasional Visitor
batrico
Message 13 of 14 (2,466 Views)

HI i tried the regional answer but that didnt work for me.So i looked for the file

Quote"It is caused by the presence of a UK English resource file (igfxreng.lrc) "

couldnt find itbut found this igfxrenu.irc and deleted it .i reinstalled the driver i restarted the pc and hey presto the problem has been solved thanks Leigh.
Occasional Visitor
batrico
Message 14 of 14 (2,466 Views)

or so i thought.I now have the graphic in the control panel but still "cant find requested string error appears" after i click it and that file i deleted is part of the current installation so i dont know why the graphics are showing now when they werent before.i dont have the file mentioned above in the system32 folder so cant solve the problem that way.and changing the regional laguage didnt help me either.so im in a bit of a pickle.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.