Full restore.."red screen error" (25313 Views)
Occasional Contributor
tom7090
Message 1 of 25 (25,313 Views)

Full restore.."red screen error"

When attempting a full restore using factory restore disks, getting a "Red Screen" factory Processing Error Ocurred. Failure spawning c:\postfailureerror.exe     UIAInfo:946 FBI Post OS processing error....must power down. I have repeatedly tried and still get the same error.....now what!!!!

Honored Contributor
Rainald T
Message 2 of 25 (25,225 Views)

Re: Full restore.."red screen error"

[ Edited ]

Which model?
Which OS?

Rainald

Occasional Contributor
tom7090
Message 3 of 25 (25,223 Views)

HP elite 7100 minitower desktop

Occasional Contributor
tom7090
Message 4 of 25 (25,222 Views)

Running Windows 7 Pro
Occasional Visitor
BensonTech
Message 5 of 25 (25,166 Views)

According to an HP tech I just spoke to, this is known issue.  The problem is that you have the Ethernet cable plugged in and there is a time server connected to your network.  Simply unplug the Ethernet cable until the system recovery is complete.

Occasional Visitor
bluefunk
Message 6 of 25 (24,592 Views)

i'm getting the same problem and I've tried unplugging the ethernet cable

I have a hp 3015 desktop and it redscreens on system restore
UIAinfo:946

can anyone help?
Occasional Visitor
timolous55
Message 7 of 25 (24,539 Views)

We have a hp 3015 desktop and it redscreens on system restore
UIAinfo:945

Can anyone help? How to resolve this? 

Restore should be easy and simple way to start using computer, but this seems to have some problems.

Occasional Visitor
Martin Verkerk
Message 8 of 25 (23,735 Views)

Hello,

This morning I got the same failure after restoring from the original dvd's. I tried several possible solutions but after I did the following it worked:

1. one partition

2. no network cable connected

3. after the restore dvd, Windows OS dvd, and language DVD the installation started. Then I disconnected my mouse and keyboard completely (both ps/2 and original from HP). The installation went well.

4. Keyboard and mouse were not working after I plugged it in for choosing my country and account so I plugged in a usb-mouse and choose for the onscreen keyboard.

This combination worked well for me but I really don't understand it.

Kind regards,

Martin

Occasional Advisor
PArevalo
Message 9 of 25 (23,199 Views)

Same thing happened to me with the same equipment.

HP Elite 7100 / Win7Pro-64-bit

Just leave the Ethernet Cable unplugged thru the entire restore process.

Should have googled this earlier would have saved a few hours and got home earlier.

Anyways thanks for posting everyone !!!

Occasional Advisor
TrubbleMaker
Message 10 of 25 (23,014 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Guys

My problem is even worse.

I had the same red screen problem and none of the solutions here worked. I then called HP Support and after messing around for over an hour, I'm now even worse off - I can't even get to the red screen.

I use the Restore Plus disk and After I choose: windows 7 Pro 64bit as the OS & English as the language and Australia as the region, with the second (OS disk) in place, the screen momentarily flashes to a screen I'd seen a while back (where I had the opportunity to choose the partition sizes) then opens a blank Notepad and the system then hangs.

If I close the Notepad, the system reboots.

The HP tech told me that it was a known MIcrosoft issue, but I originally tried it with a standard Windows 7 Professional 32bit DVD and it worked perfectly EXCEPT that I could not activate it with the product key that came with the HP box.

As part of the testing with HP, I even changed the hard drive.

A free air guitar to anyone who can help me with this dilemma...

I hate to see a grown many cry and tears really stain my face... :smileytongue:

Occasional Visitor
tking0611
Message 11 of 25 (21,894 Views)

Guys, I tried EVERY single option from every forum I could find regarding this error.

Network cable was not connected during install. No peripherals except the monitor during the install. Formatted every possible config that was avail on the recovery disk options. NOTHING WORKED. SAME ERROR everytime.  I tried 4 times! 

Here is how I fixed it. I have an OEM copy of Win7 pro 32 bit. I used it and the key that was on the sticker on top of the PC (HP 500b MT). It allowed me to activate with that key. One thing to note: When win7 was asking me what HD to install on, there were 4 partitions! a 105GB, a 40GB, 20GB, and  2GB.  the primary was not the 105 like I would have guessed. It was thinking that the 40 GB was the primary. I can only assume the HP recovery disk was the cause. It never actually wiped any partition apparently. So, if you do have a OEM of Win7, I would at least use it to wipe all the drives back to normal and give it one more shot with the recovery disk. If not, then the key should work that is on the top of the PC....

I spent hours on this today and I registered here just because I don't want the next network admin wasting his day!!!!!

Occasional Visitor
kannanBE
Message 12 of 25 (21,061 Views)

OS-windows vista business 32bit

model-HP Compaq dc7900 Convertible Minitower PC

Occasional Visitor
dfsd_dsfs
Message 13 of 25 (20,325 Views)

[ Edited ]

Pathetic. This problem has been around for YEARS and STILL NO RESPONSE FROM HP. PATHETIC. UTTERLY, WOEFULLY RUBBISH. i hate a compaq dx 2450, i've just tried for hours to restore using the discs provided on purchase and RED SCREEN EVERYTIME, no ethernet cable, no peripherals, sort it out. I paid good money for this, the issue is known, ISSUE A FIX AND TELL US ABOUT IT ON THIS PAGE!!!

Occasional Visitor
Acehigh76
Message 14 of 25 (19,798 Views)

[ Edited ]

Ok everyone here's what I did to get my restore to complete. I have a Z400 running Windows 7 Ultimate - Some reason (no conclusions yet) my OS blue screened on me - After rebooting the OS was extremely slow. I went out got a new HDD and began a restore. Like everyone else I was Red Screen Error -(i had 950 error) at the last stages of the restore.

I restarted the restore. When I got back to the same point where I was getting the Red screen error - You will notice the command prompt screen -- inside the cmd screen it will say "intializing drives...."  it takes some time to complete. So I took my mouse cursor place it over the cmd screen and clicked the left button. You are unable to type anything in the cmd screen but you can use the Spacebar. Once I hit the Sbar it came back Initializing complete then the next message "Readdressing drive letter......" once again I hit the Sbar and it completed successfully. After a reboot the cmd screen will come up one last time and again all I did was click in the cmd screen then hit the Spacebar  when it start a task.

I hope this helps.

Occasional Visitor
ChrissieB
Message 15 of 25 (19,038 Views)

I have the same issue and I unplugged the ethernet cable prior to the first try - now on day 2
Occasional Visitor
ChrissieB
Message 16 of 25 (19,034 Views)

Followed instructions on screen to restart recovery again - Now getting error that disk size is smaller than originally shipped and recovery cannot continue. Check BIOS and the drive that checked out at 100% Prior to recovery attempt yesterday is now showing imminent danger of failure. 

The reason I purchased the recovery disks is because when I tried to run repair with my disks I got the same error message.  The kind people there at HP told me my cd's were obviously corrupted. Seems to me that the restore process is not fully formatting the disk. 

Occasional Visitor
Steve Argotsinger
Message 17 of 25 (12,845 Views)

Summary: - timed out waiting in @CmdSingleObg.

Error info: -1, Unknown process error.

LastBTO: C:\appl.zip\preinstallation tools\p00118b2.bto

LastBTOLIne: (8) TimeOut waiting for ->cmd.exe /c

c:\swsetup\app\preinstalltools\HP\eHelp\6.7\install.cmd

you must power down the system and restart the order.

I have done this several times. Also, running in the top left corner is a window that says the following:

Windows is now setting up the following items:

Occasional Visitor
StillAmused
Message 18 of 25 (12,106 Views)

I also have a close rendition of this Red Screen Error See below:

Red Screen !!! - FPP Error

The software installation process encountered an error!

Summary: - SpawnProgram()..fatal Time Action

ErrorInfo: - 1, Unknown process error

LastBTO: c:\appl.zip\preos.pi\a3_buildWinRE.bto

LastBTOLine: (4) Timeout with cmd.exe

You must power down the system and restart the order.

HP Pavilion s5-1414 PC SlimlineWith I3 Proc 4GB Ram

Windows 8 Recovery Process with all 4 Disks in possesion

I have tried all methods I have been exposed to and still cannot get this PC up and running.

HDD Tests Good according to on board HP Results. Google cannot locate any of these Errors Either..

Occasional Visitor
koks007
Message 19 of 25 (8,523 Views)

[ Edited ]

Solution:

When you finish installtion with errors. Boot PC with your OS from DVD; but not with HP disc's - just clean OS from MS. Then choose repair options and choose Startup Repair. When it finish; then remove disc and reboot.

Thats all. :D

Occasional Visitor
jeff1114
Message 20 of 25 (7,491 Views)

Z200 with Win 7 Pro.

Tried all the fixes listed in this and other forums.  None worked in my case.

This is what finally did work for me:

Entered system set-up and restored the factory defaults.  Restarted the rebuild process, it got hung up, but no RSoD.

Pulled the CMOS battery and let the machine sit for about 30 minutes.  Restarted the rebuild process.  Windows installed with no issues.

Hope that helps someone else.

HP Pro
HpBiosGuy
Message 21 of 25 (7,359 Views)

To everyone on this thread...

The causes of red screen errors vary greatly, but will be logged during the re-imaging process.  Contacting HP support and working with them to provide these log files may help you get past your error.  Similar to how "blue screen errors" in Windows can vary greatly (different bug check codes, different parameters, different causes and different solutions), these sorts of restore problems can be triggered in different ways.

Not the magic bullet answer that anyone wants, but I hope this is still somewhat helpful.

Thanks,
HpBiosGuy

I am an HP Employee.
Occasional Visitor
fcompoccio
Message 22 of 25 (4,016 Views)

After many days trying I figured a way to work around the Red Screen

I have an HP dc 5850 Business Vista computer. It came with 3 sets of recovery disks.

2 sets for Business Vista (Identical) and 1 set for XP giving me the option to load either.

The XP wound up with a Blue screen at the end.

I really wanted Vista but after awhile would settle for either.

After 3 days and countless reloads without success here is what I did and it worked.

The Vista has 1 Disk HP Restore Plus,1 Disk Disk 1 of 2, 1 Disk 2 of 2 and a Supplemental Disk.

I did my own reload this way.

1. Insert the HP Restore Plus Disk which wipes out the Hard Drive and partitions it.

When it asked for Disk 1 I shut down the computer.

2. I inserted Disk 1 into the cd player and turned on the comp, when the F9 request appeared I hit to load from CD.

3. It all worked asked for the other disks and my reload was successful.

It did claim there was a hard drive error and it ask to repair and I did. Redid the whole thing all over again and WALLA I have a Vista computer.

By the way do not remove the Ethernet cable because the reload asks for it.

Hope this or some variation helps you guys.

Occasional Visitor
Windrider555
Message 23 of 25 (1,649 Views)

So, guys! Hello everyone!

I have really found the solution to that error problem.

My PC was 500B MT.  It had an additional video graphics card. So I found that if you take out that graphics card you will not recieve any errors or smth during installation.

Conclusion:  Before making a recovery on HP PCs ALWAYS TAKE OUT ALL the HARDWARE that is not coming with PC by default. You CAN LEAVE ONLY keyboard and mouse (USB) during installation.

Only this will help you...

In other cases there can be a CD/DVD provided with PC corrupted, or you are doing smth wrong.

Thanks for reading!

Good luck!

Occasional Visitor
tazmo8448
Message 24 of 25 (1,211 Views)

[ Edited ]

Pavilion Desktop Win7x64n Hm Prem, I'm having the same issues. Tried all the unplug this and unplug that...still no go. Tried to let the error install run  (which it doesn't do) I get a Red CMD prompt scan deal by 7-Zip (Pavlov) during the re-install and that is where the hang up is for me, once it does the RED Command Prompt 7-Zip scan deal it goes into the Redscreen!!!-FPP Error message each time. The space bar trick didn't work as the KB is unresponsive at this point.

The RED 7-Zip CMD prompt is listing X:/ drive and not C:/ drive. I have no way to change the drive letter at this point, reset the CMOS, reset time and can't think of anything else, the CAT5 is unplugged, all OEM hardware.

Very frustrating.

Occasional Visitor
tazmo8448
Message 25 of 25 (1,208 Views)

[ Edited ]

@ Windrider 555 ...  Thanks am trying your suggestions. Will post back when re-running the Factory Image Restore with all OEM hardware.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.