Evo D510: how to disable keyboard check at boot (3271 Views)
Advisor
Dave_230
Message 1 of 8 (3,271 Views)

Evo D510: how to disable keyboard check at boot

I can't seem to figure out how to disable the BIOS keyboard check at boot time. I want to set it up so it just boots up and starts up an internet video encoding application when it's turned on, but it seems dumb to have to have this keyboard dangling out the back hidden behind the desk somewhere when I don't need it...

I like the size and quietness of this PC otherwise...
Frequent Advisor
CA846282
Message 2 of 8 (3,271 Views)

Re: Evo D510: how to disable keyboard check at boot

Ususally this involves going into the BIOS using F10 and setting the unit to function in server /kiosk mode, by accessing Bios and going into device srecurity enabling a power on password , then enabling network server mode and removing the kbb.
Alternately you may use SP0667.zip at
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/0501.html
This will allow you to boot into Windows and start any programs in your startup folders without having to hit the F1 key. It will still generate the F1 error and continue booting.

Here is the info from the Softpaq :-

SP0667.EXE - NO_F1.COM

All Compaq 386 and 486 based machines have the ability to run without a
keyboard attached. Some Compaq machines allow the user to select this mode
of operation by selecting "Network Server" mode in their setup program.
For those that do not offer this option NO_F1.COM is a DOS based program
that is run one time which sets a bit in CMOS that instructs the BIOS not
to wait for a keystroke after displaying the "Press [F1] to continue"
message.

Thank You
Addison
Tudo Bem
Occasional Visitor
Matt Vaughn
Message 3 of 8 (3,271 Views)

I disabled the keyboard using the directions from the following support article to put the machine in Network Server mode.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/techpubs/customer_advisories/DI981028_CW01_0.html

The problem is that I would like the ability to plug a keyboard when I want to access the box locally. It apears that puting the box in network server mode permanently disables the keyboard? Reseting a jumper every time doesnt seem like an acceptable solution.

Thanks
Mattv
Advisor
Dave_230
Message 4 of 8 (3,271 Views)

Please help me again, as I don't want to have to type a password when I use a keyboard... I want to be able to plug in the keyboard whenever I want and have it work without entering a password, and other times unplug the keyboard and still have it work. This is not a high security environment, I'm looking for ease of use instead!

The NO_F1 utility sounds like my answer, but it doesn't appear to work on this model... Nothing happens when I run it, and after unplugging keyboard and rebooting it's still prompting for F1 on keyboard error! I'm using an Evo D510 SFF.

Dave
Advisor
Dave_230
Message 5 of 8 (3,271 Views)

I should mention... Since the first reply seems to indicate that after using the NO_F1 utility it will still prompt for F1 just that it will continue to boot afterward anyway instead of waiting forever for me to press it. I wanted to clarify that I've left the machine waiting for hours at that "press F1" prompt, I don't think it's going to continue! ;o)

Also, It indicates I need to run this under "DOS"... does that mean pirating an old copy of DOS (since that is no longer sold anywhere there's no other way to get it)? Or is the "Command Prompt" of Windows XP close enough that it should work too? Note that my Evo D510 is not a 386 or 486 but a nice modern Pentium 4, so maybe that's the reason?

I'm just searching for possible reasons why it's not working for me, however unlikely... Please someone help!

If I can get this machine to work the way I want, there's a potential sale of at least a couple hundred of them over the next year or so if we market our audio/video broadcasting services properly.... Otherwise I'm going to have to ditch this machine for this purpose and look for another manufacturer... It's a real pain to find small quiet fast cheap well-supported machines nowadays, everything's about as loud as a jet engine if it's small and fast, so if anyone has suggestions there for other manufacturers I'm open to that too, since this one is so far not working out.

Dave
Advisor
Dave_230
Message 6 of 8 (3,018 Views)

oh god....
Advisor
Dave_230
Message 7 of 8 (2,993 Views)

needless to say, the submit button is appearing to not work but without giving any feedback it in fact is.... sorry folks
Occasional Advisor
hairystuff
Message 8 of 8 (2,821 Views)

Just purchase a USB to PS2 adapter and plug it into a spare USB port, they're availiable for about £1-2 on eBay, or if you don't want trailing cables buy a Logitech USB unified nano adapter to cancel out the error, but these are significantly more expensive at around £13-18, why couldn't HP just have an option in the BIOS to ignore this error like on most BIOS motherboards is beyond me, intead of the complex BIOS reset option when the unit is set to remote network mode (even the presarios had it), my guess is they want to deter people using the SFF PCs as unattended management/servers.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.