Ethernet Controller Driver Missing D220MT (5103 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Kelly King
Message 1 of 12 (5,103 Views)

Ethernet Controller Driver Missing D220MT

I did a clean install using Windows XP SP2 OS
and my Ethernet Controller, VGA and Sound Card drivers were all missing.

I successfully downloaded the VGA and Sound drivers, but the driver for the Ethernet does not work.(downloaded all from HP's website)

Please help

S/N MXD35007RK
P/N: DS940A#ABA
Model D220MT
Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 2 of 12 (5,101 Views)

Re: Ethernet Controller Driver Missing D220MT

You need to download and unblock the chipset driver first and then reboot and then install the other drivers.
Occasional Visitor
Kelly King
Message 3 of 12 (5,101 Views)

I have downloaded the Driver Chipset, and have installed, however I am a novice and do not understand how to "unblock" the chipset driver.

Please clarify?
Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 4 of 12 (5,101 Views)

To unblock a file after you download the file right click the downloaded file,Select the properties tab and on the window that comes towards The bottom click the unblock button and then the apply button towards the bottom. That will unblock the file.
Occasional Visitor
Kelly King
Message 5 of 12 (5,101 Views)

I have downloaded the Chipset driver, but because I do not have a Ethernet controller driver I cannot access the web on the PC I am trying to fix. I have to use another computer to do the downloads.

I have downloaded the chipset driver, unblocked and transferred the file via my 2GB flash drive. After installing the chipset driver, rebooting, then installing the Ethernet driver and rebooting, it still does nothing to update the driver.

Still shows no driver in the control panel's, device manager window (yellow question mark.

I have attempted to search for the driver using the device manager to install, but it is never recognized and cannot be found even though it is in my documents file folder.

HELP!!

Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 6 of 12 (5,101 Views)

Try moving the driver to the desktop for ease of finding it. Have you executed the downloaded driver and let it install it it isn't the driver by itself ut has to be installed.
Occasional Visitor
Kelly King
Message 7 of 12 (5,101 Views)

I had the file on the desktop originally, but was unable to locate it using the device manager, so I moved it into a file folder, still with no luck.

Yes I have fully executed the file and let it install completely...still not working.

I do greatly appreciate all of your assistance so far.
Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 8 of 12 (5,101 Views)

HP used 2 different netwok chips on these they list the INTEL which is here. http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12... and Broadcom which is here. http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12... Usually if one driver doesn't work the other wil you still need to unblock them and install them both.
Occasional Visitor
Kelly King
Message 9 of 12 (5,101 Views)

Ron,

I have downloaded, unblocked and installed the chipset driver and rebooted, then downloaded BOTH Intel and Broadcom ethernet drivers, unblocked and fully installed both, rebooting after each installation.........still nothing clears the yellow question mark in the device manager.

Time for a new PC?
Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 10 of 12 (5,101 Views)

From the device mnager see if you can determine which NIC you have and then go into device manager and right click the NIC then on the drivers page select the install from a known location and select each driver and see if that will work This is assuuming you haven't had a hardware failure. Follow the procedure and select the driver you may have to do it twice unless you can determine which NIC you have from the device manager.
Occasional Visitor
one9ooh6
Message 11 of 12 (4,282 Views)

I did a clean install as well.  However, I tried everything above and I am still receiving the error message that the driver is missing.  Plus I am receiving a message that a "network cable has been unplugged".  I have the Broadcom 440x10/100 Inegrated Controller.  PLEASE HELP!

Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 12 of 12 (4,273 Views)

Plug an Ethernet cable into the Ethernet jack and see if the lights next to the cable come on. If they don't you may have a bad cable or connection. Inspect the connector for corrosion. Try pointing the Ethernet controller to the thumb drive in the device manager and see if it will install from there. 

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.