Entire Drive Backup on local drive - how to remove? (1467 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Genevieve Guex
Message 1 of 11 (1,467 Views)

Entire Drive Backup on local drive - how to remove?

Hello!
I have used HP Backup and Recovery Manager to create an entire disk backup on local drive, now that all my programs are installed and work perfectly.
I was a little bit surprised that no information is given concerning the size this backup is going to take or where it is stored. Seems like it not even possible to save it on a bootable set of CDs or DVDs. So...
Now this backup takes all the space on my hard drive (basically more than half), so I need to remove it and make a backup on the network instead. I have read in the administrator guide p.13:

"There is a locked down folder at C:\System Recovery where the Entire Drive Backup is stored, and you can not use HP Backup and Recovery Manager in Windows to remove the backup if necessary. Therefore, if you accidentally make an Entire Drive Backup on the local drive, and you then attempt to create another EDB on top of it, if there is not enough space in the partition, the EDB process aborts, and you cannot delete the old Entire Drive Backup from the C:\ drive."

Well, thank you, for the description of the situation, but what is the solution for that?. I can't even find any locked down folder called C:\System Recovery which I could perhaps "erase manually".

I have found other threads concerning this topic, but none of them seems to have any answer.

So I guess I need your help, thank you in advance!

Gen
Occasional Visitor
tomi celarc
Message 2 of 11 (1,467 Views)

Re: Entire Drive Backup on local drive - how to remove?

Hallo!
I have the same problem. I also tried to contact HP Support Center, but didn't get any reply. Did You manage to resolve Your problem?
Occasional Visitor
Genevieve Guex
Message 3 of 11 (1,467 Views)

Hello Tomi,
Unfortunately HP support on the phone couldn't give me any answer at first, and then they told me that I had to restore the system to factory settings, which I did a couple of weeks ago.

Here is the email they sent me in the end:
"Hi,Regarding Your problems with backup files saved on the C: partition:

The only way delete or even detect such files is using HP Backup and Recovery applet.
After You open that window You should select "Expert mode" and in there make Your choice - edit previous backups.
Hopely You are able to remove/delete previous files using this method, if not - the next step is total system recovery."

This method only shows the system backups, but not the entire drive backups which are in the hidden and locked partition. It is not possible to access it through DOS either (or during the startup process (BIOS?)).

I am really sorry I can't help you any further, this is so annoying!
If you find any solution I am still interested!

Good luck
Genevieve
Occasional Visitor
Tony Clynick
Message 4 of 11 (1,467 Views)

Hi Gen
I have a related question... How can I permanently turn off the HP warning message about Backup/Remind me later which appears at the middle of the screen every week ? The dialog allows me to change the frequency of the message (weekly, monthly etc) but not actually turn it off so it doesn't appear at all. I have tried contacting HP but got no reply, so perhaps you can help ? I have to correct this on 6 identical system (HP Compaq DC5700 SFF)at an installation this week.
Thanks
Tony Clynick
Occasional Visitor
Genevieve Guex
Message 5 of 11 (1,467 Views)

Hi Tony,
I am sorry I don't remember how I did this. - Actually I am running a program to control which applications run at startup so I can block all these automatic reminders-update-system tray icons which are automatically installed and slow down the startup process.
My program says that the location of the file is:

C:\WINDOWS\Creator\Remind_XP.exe

I guess if you edit the STRCDC.ini file in this directory with wordpad or notepad and change the

Reminder=1
to
Reminder=0

and save it, it should disable the reminder.

Actual configuration (make a copy of the STRCDC.ini -> STRCDC_original.ini just in case it doesn't work)

Reminder=1
;weekly reminder
Remind=10080
LastProcess=10/1/15/51
StartTime=00000000 - 000000
Running=0
;//ICI

Hope this helps!
Regards,
Gen
Occasional Advisor
Tom Kenworthy
Message 6 of 11 (1,467 Views)

go to

Start -> All Programs -> Open HP Backup & Recovery Manager.

You should have 4 choices here, the forth choice will say, Remove Recovery Partition, or something to that effect. Click it and follow the prompts.

It is very important to do it this way, or you will get error messages every time you turn on your computer.

The other option is to get some HP recovery disks (about $10 in the US) and do a fresh reinstall. The HP Backup and Recovery Manager is a supplemental CD and you do not have to use it to perform a good installation of your operating system, so don't use it.
Occasional Visitor
HP Sux
Message 7 of 11 (1,467 Views)

I have ONLY found *THIS* thread and it still has no answer.

I lost more than HALF of my HDD Free space b/c of this crummy software and I've tried searching the drive, even for files of a certain large size yet none are found?!

I first created a recovery point and then a set of CDs/DVDs. Later, when I added more software and edited some configs for the user, I could not update the Recovery Point from there (it won't let you make a new set of CDs/DVDs), so I made a FULL backup, but chose "Local drive" by mistake (thinking that would let me choose a path). I waited for that to finish and then ran it again to "On another drive" but when I look for the same files (by name or size or anything) on the C:\ drive for removal, they're NOT THERE? THere's no files there large enough to be the full backup that stole my HDD free space?!
I have a Recovery Partition with that locked file/folder on it - "HP_RECOVERY (E:)" which has E:\RECOVERY (Locked) and E:\NetUserDiff.lst on it, but it is only ~4GB and has nothing to do with the loss of my C:\ free space. It's been there since that first "REcovery Point" I Created and has not chanegd sicne either of the FULL Backups were run...

IS ANYONE FROM HP LISTENING - DO *THEY* EVEN HAVE A CLUE????

Occasional Visitor
HP Sux
Message 8 of 11 (1,467 Views)

Tom K:

The Recovery Points ARE NOT THE SAME as the FULL BACKUPS.

Looking at my situation, I *can* see and delete the first (only) recovery point that I originally made in HP B&R Mgr, but NOWHERE can I find and delete a FULL BACKUP made to the "Local drive." The only reason that I can delete the one made "On another drive" is b/c the drive I used was empty and HP B&R Mgr's Full Backup option made the following files (none of which show-up in C:\ for me to be able to remove?!):
\PRELOAD
DATA_02.inp
DATA_03.inp
DATA_04.inp
DATA_05.inp
DATA_06.inp
DATA_07.inp
DATA_08.inp
DATA_09.inp
DATA_10.inp
DATA_11.inp
DATA_12.inp
DATA_13.inp
DATA_14.inp
DATA_15.inp
DATA_16.inp
DATA_17.inp
DATA_18.inp
DATA_19.inp
DATA_20.inp
DATA_21.inp
DATA_22.inp
DATA_23.inp
DATA_24.inp
DATA_25.inp
DATA_26.inp
DATA_27.inp
DATA_28.inp
DATA_29.inp
DATA_30.inp
DATA_31.inp
DATA_32.inp
DATA_33.inp
DATA_34.inp
DATA_35.inp
DATA_36.inp
DATA_37.inp
DATA_38.inp
BASE.INP
BASE_01.inp
BASE_02.inp
BASE_03.inp
BASE_04.inp
BASE_05.inp
BASE_06.inp
BASE_08.inp
BASE_09.inp
BASE_10.inp
BASE_07.inp
BASE_11.inp
BASE_12.inp
BASE_13.inp
BASE_14.inp
BASE_15.inp
BASE_16.inp
BASE_17.inp
BASE_18.inp
BASE_19.inp
BASE_20.inp
BASE_21.inp
BASE_22.inp
BASE_23.inp
BASE_24.inp
BASE_25.inp
BASE_26.inp
BASE_27.inp
BASE_28.inp
BASE_29.inp
BASE_30.inp
BASE_31.inp
BASE_32.inp
BASE_33.inp
BASE_34.inp
BASE_35.inp
BASE_36.inp
BASE_37.inp
BASE_38.inp
BASE_39.inp
BASE_40.inp
BASE_41.inp
BASE_42.inp
BASE_43.inp
BASE_44.inp
BASE_45.inp
BASE_46.inp
BASE_47.inp
BASE_48.inp
BASE_49.inp
BASE_50.inp
BASE_51.inp
BASE_52.inp
BASE_53.inp
BASE_54.inp
BASE_55.inp
BASE_56.inp
BASE_57.inp
BASE_58.inp
BASE_59.inp
BASE_60.inp
BASE_61.inp
BASE_62.inp
BASE_63.inp
BASE_64.inp
BASE_65.inp
BASE_66.inp
BASE_67.inp
BASE_68.inp
BASE_69.inp
BASE_70.inp
BASE_71.inp
BASE_72.inp
BASE_73.inp
BASE_74.inp
BASE_75.inp
BASE_76.inp
BASE_77.inp
BASE_78.inp
BASE_79.inp
BASE_80.inp
BASE_81.inp
BASE_82.inp
BASE_83.inp
BASE_84.inp
BASE_85.inp
BASE_86.inp
BASE_87.inp
BASE_88.inp
BASE_89.inp
BASE_90.inp
BASE_91.inp
BASE_92.inp
BASE_93.inp
BASE_94.inp
BASE_95.inp
BASE_96.inp
BASE_97.inp
BASE_98.inp
BASE_99.inp
BASE_100.inp
DATA10.INP
DATA10_00.in
BASE1_01.inp
BASE1.INP
BASE.DAT
ALL.I32
ALL.ITR
WINDOWS.DAT
WINDOWS.I32
WINDOWS.ITR
ALL.CRC
WINDOWS.CRC
ALL.MDF
WINDOWS.MDF
ALL.DEL
WINDOWS.DEL
NOACCESS.INI
CSP.DAT
DESC.TXT
DATA.INP
DATA_01.inp
\OS.DAT
Occasional Visitor
HP Sux
Message 9 of 11 (1,467 Views)

OK, even though you CAN NOT SEE IT, there is a folder that is locked AND hidden (even from admin users and even in a command prompt) that is as follows:
C:\System Recovery

So, THAT *IS* where this bloated backup is hiding, but HP not only refuses to give you any way to REMOVE IT (WT?!) as easy as you can remove a recovery point, but ALSO says that if you perform any subsequent "entire drive backup" to "Local drive" then eventually they will overload your "Local drive" and ruin all backups when it fails for lack of free space.
I'm uninstalling this CR*P IMMEDIATELY!
Occasional Visitor
HP Sux
Message 10 of 11 (1,467 Views)

Well, THAT'S the fix!
If you uninstall this TRASH software, then it removes (merges back into C:\, that is) any partition that it created ("HP_RECOVERY") and empties the "C:\System Recovery" folder -AND- unlocks it (although it's STILL HIDDEN). After the post-uninstall reboot, your C:\ drive is back to where it should be *AND* you can go into a command prompt and to C:\ and then rmdir "System Recovery" and it's GONE (for GOOD)!

Then, you can go buy some legitimate backup software!

HOWEVER, for the truly masochistic, some words of wisdom...
If you try to REINSTALL (v2.4.1; from Restore CD -OR- download) and choose to also create a new recovery partition and such (the second, optional checkbox during install), it will reboot and then FAIL to do so (Huh? Good grief, do you TEST this trash before you bundled it, HP?!) and then uninstall right after (with no option to NOT do so)!
You have to reinstall without checking the second box for it to stay at all and then you lose all of the "recovery point" options. I tried again, using v2.4.3 instead (download), but this version doesn't even provide the "recovery point" options during install and goes right to installing and rebooting and then only allows for entire disk backups (did NOT try to do one on "Local drive" - only "On another drive" to see if that would still work, and it does), or partial backups or restores, which also means there's no more "Expert" button.

Needless to say, I uninstalled all of it again, after seeing what would happen.

All you had to do was allow users to clean-out/recycle the "C:\System Recovery" area or at least make it less useless and dangerous.
Occasional Contributor
J ROCHA
Message 11 of 11 (889 Views)

I'm having somewhat of a similar problem right now. I am trying to recover an Entire Drive Backup I did and it won't go past 11%.
No one can explain it to me. I've called HP twicw, but they can't find a solution. I made the backup onto a external drive and the files are there. I just can't get passed those 11%. Does anybody know of another program that can get into these ".IPN" files and retreive files one by one?
Is that possible?
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.