Deskpro EP BIOS Flas (79 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Lane Fowler
Message 1 of 2 (79 Views)

Deskpro EP BIOS Flas

I have the Deskpro EP with a PIII Slot 1 600 Mhz CPU. The BIOS Date for the 686T2 Version of the BIOS is 8/18/99.

The Manual states that the board, with a 100 Mhz FSB, can support up to a 750 Mhz CPU. I think that the board can support a Highr CPU as long as the form factor is Slot 1 and operates at the 100 Mhz FSB. However, to be sure that compaq took the necessary precautions, I thought a Flash of the BIOS to the latest version may be appropriate.

Question: One one makes a Bootable Floppy from Windows, certain system files are copied to the disc. One is then instructed to copy the the updated BIOS executable file to the Floppy in order to re-boot and flash from the floppy. However, the BIOS Files for the latest BIOS version from 7.01 are in excess of 2 MB and/or waon't fit on a Floppy.

In addition, the Compaq site seems to show two different sets of files to download, unzip, and copy to the file: a utility set of files and the actual ROM BIOS. All of these files won't fit on a Floppy.

What am I missing?

Does one need a Bootable Floppy to Flash or just a formatted Floppy?

Does one unzip and execute just the BIOS Image Files (excess of 2 MB in size) or just the utiliy Files or both?

Anyone have any thoughts on the 041Ch board that operates on a 100 Mhz FSB handling a CPU at 1 Ghz as long as said CPU is also operating or stepped x 10 at a 100Mhz?
Honored Contributor
Steven Hauk_1
Message 2 of 2 (79 Views)

Re: Deskpro EP BIOS Flas

See your other thread.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.