Re: DESCONOSCO POWER ON PASSWORD (863 Views)
Occasional Visitor
RODRIGUEZ JUAN MANUEL
Message 1 of 7 (863 Views)
Accepted Solution

DESCONOSCO POWER ON PASSWORD

Mi pc tiene un power on password, que es desconocido. Intenté quitandole la pila de la BIOS, limpiando la CMOS y nada, sigue pideindome la contraseña. Es una dc 5850
Honored Contributor
John Kirk
Message 2 of 7 (863 Views)

Re: DESCONOSCO POWER ON PASSWORD

English please.

You can disable the power on password by disconnecting power and moving jumper E49 from pins 1 - 2 to just be on pin 2. When you power on the computer the power on password will be cleared and disabled.

Hope this helps.

John K.
Occasional Visitor
RODRIGUEZ JUAN MANUEL
Message 3 of 7 (863 Views)

John:

Thank you for answering so quickly, I am trying youre suggestion later on and let you know how it works.

I was wondering what was the porpouse of that "E49".
Occasional Visitor
RODRIGUEZ JUAN MANUEL
Message 4 of 7 (863 Views)

John:

I did what you told me, but did not work.

wich one is the pin number one? I can not read it on the motherboard.

Should I turn on the pc when the "E49" is in pin number one only? because I did not do it that way.

A message has been apearing wich says that It will be necessary to replace the battery if the message persists; but is new.

what should I do?

Thanks for answering
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 5 of 7 (863 Views)

Hi, Juan:

Below is the procedure to clear the BIOS password right from the manual. The only reason they tell you to put the jumper on pin 2 is so it doesn't get lost. If you want to hold it in your hand or put it somewhere that it won't get lost, you don't need the jumper on either pin when you reset the password. You also have to remove the power cord from the computer, and make sure the motherboard light is off before you proceed. If you didn't do that, that may be why the password didn't clear. You DO NOT put the jumper back on pins 1 and 2 until after the computer is powered back up.

Instructions from manual:

Power-On / Setup Password
These systems include a power-on and setup passwords, which may be enabled or disabled
(cleared) through a jumper on the system board. The jumper controls a GPIO input to the SB700 that is checked during POST.

To clear the Power-On and/or Setup password, use the following procedure:

1. Turn off the system and disconnect the AC power cord from the outlet and/or system unit.

2. Remove the cover (hood) as described in the appropriate User Guide or Maintainance And Service Reference Guide. Insure that all system board LEDs are off (not illuminated).

3. Locate the password clear jumper (header is colored green and labeled E49 on these systems) and move the jumper from pins 1 and 2 and place on (just) pin 2 (for safekeeping).

4. Replace the cover.

5. Re-connect the AC power cord to the AC outlet and/or system unit.

6. Turn on the system. The POST routine will clear and disable the password.

7. To re-enable the password feature, repeat steps 1-6, replacing the jumper on pins 1 and 2 of header E49.

Here is the link to the Technical Reference Guide for the dc5850:

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01602850/c01602850.pdf

Paul
Occasional Visitor
RODRIGUEZ JUAN MANUEL
Message 6 of 7 (863 Views)

DEAR PAUL:

EXCELENT EXPLANATION, IT DID WORK, NOW I FOUN A PASSWORD IN WINDOWS, BUT I AM TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO CLEAR IT, HOPE IS POSSIBLE. THIS MACHINE WAS NOT IN USE FOR A COPLE OF MONTHS AND THE USER IS NO LONGER WORKING HERE.

THANKS A LOT
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 7 of 7 (863 Views)

Hi, Juan:

I would do an internet search for "Lost Windows Password."

There are some free programs where you can create a CD and it will tell you what the password is. You don't need to get into Windows to use it. You boot from the CD you create with the free software and follow the instructions.

Here is one for example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophcrack

If you can't log into Windows after using any free tools, then I recommend you call HP Support, and ask them to send you the Windows XP reinstallation disks for your dc5850. They are very inexpensive (around $11.00 USD). With those disks, you can reinstall the operating system and not worry about any passwords.

Here is the HP contact info for Mexico:

http://welcome.hp.com/country/mx/es/contact/phone_assist.html

My Spanish is very rusty, but I think you want to call the toll-free number for "Otros Productos," because the first group listed does not include HP business desktops.

Paul
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.