DC7900 Hard Drive Failures. (1063 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Colin J Patterson
Message 1 of 5 (1,063 Views)
Accepted Solution

DC7900 Hard Drive Failures.

We recently have had a high failure rate of hard drives on DC7900 desktops. The hard drive model is Western Digital WD800AAJS – 80GB. Has anybody else seen this trend or could it be a bad batch?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
John Kirk
Message 2 of 5 (1,063 Views)

Re: DC7900 Hard Drive Failures.

Colin

I don't find any reports of a cronic failure problems with this drive.

How old are these hard drives? If they are within the warranty period you should contact either HP support or western Digital.

Hope this helps.

John K.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Colin J Patterson
Message 3 of 5 (1,063 Views)

Hi John,

Thanks for the input. I've asked site engineers who reported this to start logging the failure codes when running HP diags. The customer at this location requests hard drive replacements when a system crashes so some may be just corrupt file systems. Changing the HDD and rebuilding is faster than running diags on a 4 hour SLA.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Crispin Lee
Message 4 of 5 (1,063 Views)

My location is seeing this issue too... suddenly all the DC7900's Hard drives are failing... or taking 20 minutes to boot with a black screen right after the XP logo. The issue appears to be caused by the Intel Matrix Storage Manager.... 8.9 is the new current version... drivers 8.6-8.8 it appears actually cause damage to the hard drive over time and eventually it will fail to boot. The drives are in their default AHCI mode. SP44286 is what you need. You'll see the iaStor errors go away in the event viewer.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
irkhairuddin
Message 5 of 5 (956 Views)

Hello, my dc7900 also seems like that. But, what difference is, system boot display an message to create a backup ASAP. It say to be imminent failure to the disk. My Q : Is it the symptom of hdd failure ?, because, i can use this hdd (sometimes it hanging). 

Other : i has try the SMART apps, it says the drive have bad sectors...

MY DC7900 Spec : 320GB HDD Drive (SATA), 2GB DDRII Memory, Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200....

Help me...

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation