DC7800 Blue Screen Memory Parity Error (6189 Views)
Occasional Visitor
jason girdhar
Message 1 of 31 (6,189 Views)

DC7800 Blue Screen Memory Parity Error

Hi Guys,

I'm currently having problems with the DC7800 desktop PC's. The problem is that randomly it blue screens with a memory parity error. We've deployed 50 of them, but only 4-5 come up with this error. I've updated the Bios and applied the new chipset drivers, replaced memory and changed slots. The PC have been build in Altiris with Windows XP Pro.

Any help will be appricated.

Thanks

Jasno
Honored Contributor
John Kirk
Message 2 of 31 (6,189 Views)

Re: DC7800 Blue Screen Memory Parity Error

Jason

The most obvious thing would be memory. This is a rather rare BSOD error these days.

Are you using quality memory of the recommended specifications? If you have more than one memory module in the computers take all but one module out and see if the error still happens.

Since you have replaced the memory and moved it around it would seem that the next suspect would be the motherboard.

Hope this helps.

John K.
Occasional Advisor
Eric Peterman
Message 3 of 31 (6,189 Views)

I am receiving the same thing on some off our dc7800 PC's. Originally replaced system board and after that dis not fix it, I replaced the memory and processor. I am leaning more towards the processor being the culprit. That was back in May, 2008. I now have about 5 others doing the same thing. I am going to take one of them and pound it with insight manager for a few days to see if anything comes up. I'll update if I have found anything.
Occasional Advisor
Eric Peterman
Message 4 of 31 (6,189 Views)

One thing I forgot to mention is on one of the latest failures we swapped memory from another dc7800. A few days later it failed again... Reason I am leaning to processor.
Occasional Visitor
jason girdhar
Message 5 of 31 (6,189 Views)

Thanks for the replies. The memory that I've used is the stanard ones that comes with the PC.

I think your on to some thing here Eric. I've just replaced a PC that was blue screening. I'm going to do some test of my own.

I will attempt to replace the CPU with a know good CPU and see if it blue screens.

will keep you updated.

Once again thanks,

Jason
HP Pro
HpBiosGuy
Message 6 of 31 (6,189 Views)

Hi Jason,

Another possible cause of this error is a PCI device asserting SERR#. Do you have any PCI expansion cards in your dc7800s? This could also come from one of the embedded devices. To test this theory, you can try disabling PCI SERR# generation in F10 Setup, Advanced, PCI Devices.

Most of the times I have seen this error, it has been with an add-in card that was having serious problems or incorrectly using the SERR# signal.

Thanks,
Scott
Thanks,
HpBiosGuy

I am an HP Employee.
Honored Contributor
Rich S
Message 7 of 31 (6,249 Views)

Check your event logs for the reason why you are getting the BSOD...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427

and if you are gettting the reboot on error then:

Navigate to the Control Panel in Windows XP by left-clicking on Start, followed by Settings and then choosing Control Panel.

In the Control Panel window, open System.

Note: In Microsoft Windows XP, depending on how your operating system is setup, you may not see the System icon. To correct this, click on the link on the left-hand side of the Control Panel window that says Switch to Classic View.

In the System Properties window, click on the Advanced tab.

Locate the Startup and Recovery area and click on the Settings button.

In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.

Click OK in the Startup and Recovery window.

Click OK in the System Properties window.

From now on, when a problem causes a BSOD or another major error that halts the system, the PC will not automatically reboot. Rebooting manually will be necessary.

Rich

say thanks with HP POINTS
Occasional Visitor
Simon Woods
Message 8 of 31 (6,249 Views)

We are also experiencing the very same issue on around 25 7800's. The 'blue screen' isn't of your normal STOP error format, moreso 4 lines of text without error codes and just suggesting I contact my hardware vendor, informing me the system has halted and detailing an NMI:Memory Parity Error. We have hundreds of these 7800's in circulation, and the issue seems to be confined to around 25 units, all with irregular and inconsistant blue screen errors, some blue screens occur upto 3 weeks apart on the same machine, making troubleshooting very difficult, we have ruled out the memory modules themselves, but due to the fact that it is occuring only with users with 3+screens and 2 GFX cards, I am considering the possibility of GFX card error (NVIDIA Quadro). In addition, the blue screen will occur on 1 screen only, with a halted OS on the remaining screens. We have updated the drivers to no avail. Can anyone else confirm this occurs on multiple GFX card systems? If this isn't the case we may need to explore other options.
Thanks in advance
Occasional Visitor
jason girdhar
Message 9 of 31 (6,249 Views)

Hi Simon,

after ripping my hair out on this issue, I have found that the PCI Video Card was the problem for most of the blue screening. Once I change from NVS280 PCI to the NVS290 PCI Express. I haven't had the problem. we have approx 120 of these PC's, the blue screens where happeing on Dual screens and single screens. In order for the single screens to stop blue screening I updated the Bios and Chipset.

This has become a very expensive problem. I've trying to talk to our vendor to reply the problem to HP. Will keep you updated.

Jason
Occasional Visitor
Simon Woods
Message 10 of 31 (6,249 Views)

Jason, thats very interesting, I 've just checked the systems with the issues, and all of them have the 280 installed as the second card, with a 290 as the first card. Most of the users operate a dual screen using just the 290, and these have had no issues.

Looks like 280 is our culprit, and is conflicting with the 7800 mobo and BIOS. Finally starting to isolate the issue.

Thanks very much Jason for that reply, very very helpful.
HP Pro
HpBiosGuy
Message 11 of 31 (6,428 Views)

For the last posts, if you disable SERR# generation under F10 Setup, Advanced, Bus Options, does the problem go away?

Thanks,
Scott
Thanks,
HpBiosGuy

I am an HP Employee.
Occasional Advisor
Eric Peterman
Message 12 of 31 (6,428 Views)

I think Scott has something there as well with the SERR#. I disabled the SERR# generation on the PC's that were giving me problems after his post, (Also had the 280NVS cards in them). We have not had any fail as of yet since.
Occasional Visitor
Simon Woods
Message 13 of 31 (6,428 Views)

Thanks guys we'll try the SERR# resolution as well, test, and come back to you.
Occasional Visitor
Andrew Ridley
Message 14 of 31 (6,428 Views)

Hi Guys,

I had the same issue on a DC7800 running a PCI Firewire card. RAM, and MB had all been replaced, and still the same error.
Changing the PCI SERR# to Disabled, and the problem is gone.
Thanks.
Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 15 of 31 (6,428 Views)

This is just a guess . A while back there were some machines with similar errors and it was caused by bridging of the memory DIMMs by the HP part number labels on the DIMMs.
Occasional Visitor
Trunks Nguyen
Message 16 of 31 (6,428 Views)

Awesome work guys. I've been looking for this :-)
Occasional Visitor
John Stepien
Message 17 of 31 (6,428 Views)

I will jump on the bandwagon here. We are having the exact same memory parity error hard stop on DC7800 systems with the NVIDIA Quadro NVS280 PCI cards installed.

I have disabled the PCI SERR# generation in BIOS setup, and will wait to see if I have another issue.

Thanks to everyone else for posting. This problem has been frustrating.
Occasional Visitor
Simon Woods
Message 18 of 31 (6,428 Views)

Indeed, just to update you all on our situation, we are testing the disabling of PCI SERR# on some test units before we roll out this configuration change on all our machines. Due to the sensitivity of our users and the environment we work in, any configuration or BIOS changes are tested in depth before blanket roll out.

It does certainly seem to have prevented any further OS halts at this stage, though. So it seems to be a resolution, albeit a frustrating one!

While I'm on the subject, can anyone inform me just what the function of SERR# enable actually does? All I can estimate is it is some form of error reporting? Can anyone expand on that? I'm still hesitant about rolling this fix out without knowing just what this configuration is. Are there any adverse affects I should know about if I leave this disabled?

Thanks in advance folks!
HP Pro
HpBiosGuy
Message 19 of 31 (6,428 Views)

In response to the last post regarding what exactly SERR# Disable does...

On the PCI bus, SERR#, or System Error, "is for reporting address parity errors, data parity errors on the Special Cycle command, or any other system error where the result will be catastrophic." (PCI 2.3 spec.) In other words, a serious error condition occurred and SERR# is a "party-line" signal that any card can use to signal that something bad happened. On these HP systems, by default, SERR# causes an NMI or non-maskable interrupt. This is an interrupt to the CPU that cannot be put off or ignored (masked). Depending on what OS is loaded, different NMI handlers behave differently. In the case of Windows OSes, the blue "memory parity error" message is displayed.

By disabling SERR# in F10 Setup, the SERR# from the PCI card does not cause an NMI. The consequences? For PCI video cards, I would not be concerned. You might get temporary video glitches, etc., but I wouldn't suspect anything else. If you are using a PCI storage controllers (SATA cards, RAID cards, etc.), that may not be a good idea as data corruption to or from your drives is more serious.

For the sake of PCI video cards, I think it is safe to disable this signal.

I hope this is helpful.
Scott
Thanks,
HpBiosGuy

I am an HP Employee.
Occasional Visitor
Danno Scott
Message 20 of 31 (6,428 Views)

Well im sure glad i found this thread. We have over 300 of the machines, of which around 10 have been/are displaying these exact same symptoms with the exact same HW. Looks like the NVidia Quadro 280PCI is the problem. I have disabled the PCI SERR# generation and will see how it goes. Will let you know either way
Occasional Visitor
JoeMartin_1
Message 21 of 31 (6,464 Views)

I had a user have the blue screen today as well, we recently purchased 5 dc7800's. I've only deployed one so far, and after using the machine for less than two weeks he got the same blue screen mentioned above.
"NMI: Parity Check / Memory Parity Error System Has Halted"

After a little googling I came across this post, we're using a similar setup as some other users, two video cards, supporting four monitors. I'm disabling the SERR# as mentioned by others in the BIOS and will post again in a few weeks if the problem is resolved or not.
Occasional Visitor
Danno Scott
Message 22 of 31 (6,464 Views)

Just to let you guys know.

Since disabling the SERR# option in the BIOS we have had no further issues with the machine blue screening.

Looks like the Mystery is Solved

Regs

DS
Occasional Visitor
COURTEHEUSE
Message 23 of 31 (6,464 Views)

Same problem - BIOS update
If I change the PCI SERR# option to disable mode, we have no NMI error but the system reboot for any reason - twice during 24 hours - very hard to reproduce the problem
More sensitive with Vista - I install XP pro and the problem is still opened
diagnostices are OK, ...
Occasional Contributor
P Latchman
Message 24 of 31 (6,464 Views)

Hi:
So good to be able to have company when a problem is driving you crazy. HP nust be aware of these problems, and instead of being proactive, we have to loose sleep and face the customer "by ourselves." I have gone name brand to avoid these types of problems and have a company stand behind me, especially since I am way out here in Trinidad and largely on my own. I have gotten all sorts of spontaneous reboots with this computer, failed RAID drives, and been unable to install e-Sata cards etc.. I am wondering if I would not have more QC just going back to building using "quality" components on my own? Thanks to all you guys for the "PCI Serr#" disable. I will see how it goes, but since I am so reliant on this computer for my business, I simply do not feel comfortable and my shopping for a "better" computer starts now! If HP pays any attention, we understand that problems arise, so please make your customers feel that you are there to back your product.
Occasional Visitor
David Zell
Message 25 of 31 (6,464 Views)

We are having the exact same problem with random ones out of about 300 7600's and 7700's and have pretty much tried everything on this thread but are still having the same issue.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.