DC7700 DVD Drive not reading DVDs (356 Views)
Advisor
Kim Glensor
Message 1 of 7 (356 Views)

DC7700 DVD Drive not reading DVDs

Hi,

I have a client using a DC7700 SFF Desktop machine, with a combination CD-RW/DVD-R DL/LightScribe drive. It can normally read DVD discs fine, but he has a couple of DVDs which just show up as Blank CDs. When I put the same DVDs into my machine (same make/model PC and drive) I can use the discs perfectly fine.

I've noticed that the driver installed on his machine is: TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H653L and seems quite out of date (driver date is in 2001). Whereas my machine is using ATAPI DVD A DH16A1L (although is also dated 2001).

The user can view some other DVDs without trouble.

I've tried automatically updating the drivers with the "Update Driver..." function but (seemingly naturally) it has found nothing to update/install.

I tried manually google-searching for the drivers I must be using but cannot find a download for them at all.

Checking the driver listings for this machine here on the HP site doesn't seem to show any specific DVD driver downloads (the Lightscribe DL is just it's special labelling stuff...).

Can anyone advise how I could get some suitable drivers for this device to resolve this?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
John Kirk
Message 2 of 7 (356 Views)

Re: DC7700 DVD Drive not reading DVDs

Kim

Since the problem is with certain DVDs and not the drive I would suspect some setting such as the Region Code as being the problem. If a region has been set on the computer and the DVD is a movie set for use only in a certain region you should get an error message that the region is wrong and the DVD will not play.

It also could be that one DVD drive will read a praticular DVD but not some other if the DVDs are "homemade"

Hope this helps.

John K.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Kim Glensor
Message 3 of 7 (356 Views)

Hi John,

Thanks for that.

Unfortunately it's not a regional code issue - as the DVDs in question are data discs, and neither my machine nor this one (which work and don't work with the discs respectively) have regional codes set at all.

I considered that it might be an issue with the discs being "homemade", but the fact that my drive (same make/model/etc, just different drivers) can read the discs fine kinda negates that argument...
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 4 of 7 (356 Views)

Do both machines have the same brand of DVD ROM drive? Use the device manager to tell. Or you could use the Belarc Advisor available free at www.belarc.com
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Kim Glensor
Message 5 of 7 (356 Views)

Well they have all the same writing on the front. they show up differently in DM, but I thought having different drivers would/could change that?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 6 of 7 (356 Views)

I would change out the one that is giving trouble. I have had similar problems and the drive was on its last legs. I think I have replaced 7 drives out of 40 machines in the last year(Most were older CDROMs I had one that was 3years old that was a DVD). I think you can replace it with a generic drive for under $45
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Kim Glensor
Message 7 of 7 (356 Views)

I was hoping that wouldn't be the situation...
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation