D220 MT, Disable on-board graphics port (755 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Steven Place
Message 1 of 11 (755 Views)
Accepted Solution

D220 MT, Disable on-board graphics port

I added a graphics card to an HP D220 MT to support dual displays. The motherboard has an on-board graphics port but I can not find any doc that describes how to disable it. The new card shows it is working but once I boot into windows the only port I can use is the on-board one. I checked the Bios and it is set to check PCI then on-board. When doing a cold boot and connected to the PCI card the display works until it hits a certain point in the windows boot-up. Then I have to move the cable back to get to the M/B port for the screen display to work. I have tried going to properties/settings/ and switching to one of the graphic card ports but upon reboot it reverts back. In the past I have seen jumpers on M/B's that had to be turned off to disable the on-board port but can not find a schematic for the M/B on the web or in any HP manual. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Honored Contributor
John Y
Message 2 of 11 (755 Views)

Re: D220 MT, Disable on-board graphics port

If your using Windows, disable onboard in the (Device Manager), then shutdown & install v-card, switch monitor cord over, and turn monitor on first.
Occasional Visitor
Steven Place
Message 3 of 11 (755 Views)

John Y: If your using Windows, disable onboard in the (Device Manager), then shutdown & install v-card, switch monitor cord over, and turn monitor on first.

John I thought of that and was ready to do this but... If for some reason windows does not see the new port then my fear would be the system would then be DOA. Thus the question on the jumper. Thanks for the reply since that should work but I would prefer to go the route of the jumper if possible. Since then I can switch back if any problems
Honored Contributor
Rich S
Message 4 of 11 (755 Views)

I have the D220 at work. There is a disable video in the bios.

The integrated video should work with your card.

Does your model have an AGP port or are you using a PCI video card like me?

BTW, the onboard video supports dual screens too. You just need to update the video driver.

here is the driver

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=865

Rich

say thanks with HP POINTS
Honored Contributor
Rich S
Message 5 of 11 (755 Views)

I rebooted and got the bios settings for you.

under Peripheral Setup

select init. graphics adaptor priority

for an add-on card

use the :

PCI- int-vga

setting.

Rich

Occasional Visitor
Steven Place
Message 6 of 11 (755 Views)

Rich, thanks for the driver reference. I'll check into that option. I dont remember seeeing a second VGA connector on the MB so not sure how how would you plug in the other monitor.

I had already found the bios setting details by looking at the F10 utility reference in the HP manual available on-line. I referenced this in my original post. Hopefully someone will reply with the jumper settings.
Honored Contributor
Rich S
Message 7 of 11 (755 Views)

Sorry, I was looking at my other PC...

The onboard video is NOT dual capable unless you have the AGP port.

The D220 has 2 possible MOB's one with the AGP and one without.

I added a Nvidia 6200 PCI that has dual on it though and I am able to use all 3 monitors with this setup.

Rich
Occasional Visitor
Steven Place
Message 8 of 11 (755 Views)

Interesting. When you are using the 2nd/3rd monitor how do you assign an app to that port??
Occasional Visitor
Steven Place
Message 9 of 11 (755 Views)

Searched on DualView @ MS and found my answer.
Honored Contributor
Rich S
Message 10 of 11 (755 Views)

I extend the desktop...

With that it is just drag and drop...

Not all video cards work with the integrated video so it is a trial and error.

Rich
Honored Contributor
John Y
Message 11 of 11 (583 Views)

If it didn't work, you can just clear the CMOS to bring it back to default settings. I know of no jumpers.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.