Cooling fan on an evo d510 (267 Views)
Occasional Visitor
sftdead
Message 1 of 4 (267 Views)

Cooling fan on an evo d510

Recently, my Evo d510 has been making a lot of noise despite constant cleaning. After taking a look inside, I discovered That the fan on the power supply was working extra hard and was starting to wobble so I inspected the cooling fan over the processor and discovered that it has stopped working altogether. I made sure that it was clean and could turn freely, but it refuses to spin. Is there anything I can do to repair this as I don't want my processor to overheat? This machine has been very good to me and I have tried to do the same, but 120.00 for a replacement is a little extreme. I might as well buy a new one for only twice that. Any help would be appreciated or if you would happen to know where I could get another one cheaper.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 2 of 4 (262 Views)

Re: Cooling fan on an evo d510

Hi:

If you know it is the fan that is bad and not the motherboard control to the fan...

You didn't mention what form factor you have, but I am pretty sure you can get a heatsink/fan combo for whichever form factor you have on eBay for cheap.

For example: I don't know what form factor it belongs to. Looks like a CMT.

http://cgi.ebay.com/COMPAQ-EVO-D510-CMT-HEAT-SINK-AND-FAN-CLIPS-m6-/290434609919?pt=LH_DefaultDomain...

All you have to do is unscrew the fan from your current heat sink and replace it with the one you might buy, if you don't want to replace the whole assembly. 

Paul

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
sftdead
Message 3 of 4 (258 Views)

Sorry, its an Evo D510 SFF. How do I tell if its the motherboard or the fan itself? Have only been able to find heatsinks for it on ebay. Unless I don't understand some of the designations and don't recognize the fan without the heatsink.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 4 of 4 (248 Views)

Hi:

I don't know how you can tell whether the fan is bad or the motherboard is bad, as I am not an electronics technician. There must be a way to test it using some kind of volt meter or something.

If you can get a fan for cheap you can take the better odds that the fan is bad. 

I don't know if the fan on the SFF heat sink is the same size as the fan on the SFF. If it is you can just get a fan/heatsink assembly for a CMT and change out the fan.

Paul

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation