Compaq Dx2450 NVIDIA network card (1595 Views)
Occasional Advisor
gerald helm
Message 1 of 9 (1,595 Views)
Accepted Solution

Compaq Dx2450 NVIDIA network card

I have recently experienced an issue with the onboard NVIDIA network card installed on the Dx2450 computer. NIC will not connect to a Linksys SD208 10/100 8 port switch. Nothing on HP web site about this issue at this time.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
John Kirk
Message 2 of 9 (1,595 Views)

Re: Compaq Dx2450 NVIDIA network card

Gerald

Can you connect directly to the network without going through the switch?

Have you checked cables, drivers and settings?

Hope this helps.

John K.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
gerald helm
Message 3 of 9 (1,595 Views)

Yes, I have bypassed Linksys switch and after doing that, everything worked normal. I tried using a cross over cable, Straight cable & Cat6 cable. The NIC just does not like that switch. I replaced the switch with a HP 1700-8 switch. It works great with it. After 45 minutes of trouble shooting, I thought others should be aware of this.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Mike Targgart
Message 4 of 9 (1,595 Views)

I had a similar instance at a customers location with the same computer (dx2450) with the nVidia NIC. It is plugged into and HP ProCurve switch. It had been working for the last 6 months, but then last week, the network adapter stopped working. When I got there, the adapter was disabled in Win XP, but even enabling it, it still would not pull an IP address from DHCP. It seemed that after leaving the network cable unplugged from the computer for 20 minutes or so and plugging it back in, it then started working. I am suspecting a system board issue, but could be a driver probem too (although doubtful). We'll see if it happens again.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
gerald helm
Message 5 of 9 (1,595 Views)

I have seen that happen on many systems. I go to the local Area Connection Status page, select the "Support" tab and click "Repair". That useally takes care of it.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Ernest Thackrah
Message 6 of 9 (1,595 Views)

We have seen this issue on about eight machines. On some of them if we changed the link speed to 100full instead of auto negotiate, then they worked. In other cases we had to replace the system boards. One instance the BIOS update fixed the issue but there doesnt seem to be a real fix. Has anyone come up with any other clues beyond the standards of drivers and bios? Thank you Ernie
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Alain Lemieux
Message 7 of 9 (1,595 Views)

My company also seems to have a very similar issue. We have close to 100 DX2450's in use in our office. We are very infrequently having an issue where the systems will not resolve with DHCP. After trying many things such as, repairing the connection, ipconfig /release and renew, Rebooting, and even unplugging the Cat5 cables nothing had worked. Finally we realized if you unplug the power cable while the system is looking for an IP address and then reboot normally it will pick up an IP without any issues. This issue is very intermittent with us and we would like to find a permanent solution for this. If there is a firmware update for the NIC's please let me know or if the drivers that come with the system from HP are bad or need an update, also, please let me know.

Any information anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
gerald helm
Message 8 of 9 (1,595 Views)

We replaced all Linksys switches with HP Procurve switches.
Please use plain text.
Collector
Boma23_1
Message 9 of 9 (1,354 Views)

any further resolution on this?

I have a client with exactly the same issue, also documented here:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Deskpro-EVO/HP-Compaq-dx2450-Microtower-Intermitting-Netwo...

Linksys SSG20 network switches also

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation