Compaq 500B MT - CPU and sound drivers (3655 Views)
Occasional Visitor
caisys2
Message 1 of 5 (3,655 Views)

Compaq 500B MT - CPU and sound drivers

Hi,

I installed windows 8 on my compaq 500B MT minitower. The realtek sound does not working and is showing a yellow exclamation mark in device manager. There are also yellow excalamation marks for the CPU. Do I need a driver for the CPU? How can I get the sound to work?

Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 2 of 5 (3,652 Views)

Re: Compaq 500B MT - CPU and sound drivers

Hi:

i don't know what the issue could be with the processor.

You can see if installing the chipset driver addresses that issue.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20775&ProdId=816&lang=eng&OSVersion=...

For the audio, go to the Realtek website, accept the agreement and download and install either the first or second file listed depending on if you installed W8 32 or 64 bit.

http://152.104.125.41/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeI...

Valued Contributor
Skylarking
Message 3 of 5 (3,631 Views)

[ Edited ]

Windows 8 requires the CPU support PAE, NX, and SSE2 and the BIOS is configured to support these features.  Physical Address Extension (PAE), NX processor bit (NX), and Streaming SIMD Extensions 2 (SSE2) refer to features of the processor hardware.

So check your CPU for it's capabilities and ensure that if they do support the above features, they are 'enabled' within your BIOS. For example, Google "ark E3400" and the first link is to the Intel Ark page for the Celeron E3400 CPU and this shows that the E3400 supports the NX (execute disable) bit (and by extension PAE {which Intel calls Intel64?} since this is a prerequisite for NX bit) but not the SSE2 feature !!  Compare this to an i7-920 which supports SSE4.2, Execute disable bit and Intel64 but this processor can't be installed on your system (only included to highlight the difference in CPU features..

In theory Win 8 should not install if your CPU does not support these features but maybe it did install and this is why you have the yellow exclamation mark within device manager. You could try and install the problem device from within device manager and reboot at which point it should be found again and (re) installed, hopefully without the yellow exclamation mark being present within device manager.

I find it best see hidden devices and non present devices within the device manager. To do this for Win7, do the following:

1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd.exe, and then press ENTER.
2. Type set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1, and then press ENTER.
3. Type devmgmt.msc within the above command tool and then press ENTER.
4. Click View, and then click Show Hidden Devices (but any devices with yellow bungs will always be visible).
5. Select the CPU.
6. Right-click and then click Uninstall.

7. Look for any grayed out icons which look to be a concern and uninstall these (grayed icons are not connected to the computer at present and are normally OK to remove).

Obviously you have to translate this to Windows 8...

[edited to add the following}

Note that Win 8 is obviously not a supported OS on your 500B MT so while using Intel or Realtek drivers normally will work, sometimes they don't and HP, Intel or RealTek wont provide support in such situations should you have problems.

Occasional Visitor
caisys2
Message 4 of 5 (3,625 Views)

Unfortunately still not working. Anyway to troubleshoot more what exactly is going wrong?

I attached a pic of how the device manager looks like.

Valued Contributor
Skylarking
Message 5 of 5 (3,614 Views)

I don't own your machine so I did a quick Google search to help you out. What I found was contained within my previous post.

According to the Intel ARK page that Google so easily finds, your processor does not support the SSE2 instruction set.  According to MS, and again via a Google search, if your CPU does not support SSE2, the OS install should fail.  I;m surprised you were able to install Win8, maybe your using some early preview release (with more relaxed install rules) than the final release of Win8.

The reality is that you are trying to install an OS on an old HP machine where HP itself provides no drivers or support for Win8 on this machine. This means finding appropriate drivers will always be a challenge (if they exist at all). Maybe Win7 drivers will work, maybe they won't. Maybe Win8 drivers from a similar system will work, likely they won't.

If you can't find chipset drivers for your motherboard for the OS you plan to install, then you will almost always have issues. Sometimes such issues can not be resolvable. 

For example, my dell GX520 has no sound with Windows 8 (preview) as there is no appropriate drivers I can find (from Dell, or Realtek or other trusted site - I don't trust driver sites !!).

So it looks like you have issues with locating the chipset drivers and the result is that sound and CPU items have yellow bungs within device manager and may not operate as expected.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.