Change UEFI Bios settings back to LEGACY BIOS mode? HP Elite 8300 Desktop (79775 Views)
Occasional Visitor
mariuszp_irl
Message 1 of 8 (79,775 Views)

Change UEFI Bios settings back to LEGACY BIOS mode? HP Elite 8300 Desktop

Hi everybody,

I hope there is a solution to a problem we're experiencing and I would gladly appreciate any input.

We are about to encrypt the hard disk of a desktop pc.

We haven't had much success thus far and the software vendor turned out and said that the BIOS of the computer is set to Native UEFI mode. This mode is not supported and needs to be changed to BIOS Legacy mode or something.

I read on the Quick Speck of 8300 the following:

"UEFI BIOS developed and engineered by HP for better security, manageability and software image stability"

My question is if it is possible to set it to BIOS legacy or how to disable UEFI mode.

THank You kindly fo all the help in advance.

Kind Regards,

Mariusz

HP Pro
soccer_dan
Message 2 of 8 (79,766 Views)

Re: Change UEFI Bios settings back to LEGACY BIOS mode? HP Elite 8300 Desktop

Pretty much all current bios implementations are based on the EFI standard to be able to comply with Windows 8 security requirements. It also provides better layers of security than the old traditional bios that had been in existence for decades. Although the bios is of the EFI type, there is a compatibility module added to make sure Windows 7, XP, Linux, etc. can be booted as always. On the Elite 8300 desktop, you can enter the BIOS (hit F10 during power on) and under the Storate menu, select Boot Order. You will probably notice EFI Boot Sources selected first. You can try changing the default to Legacy Boot Sources and see if that helps your encryption software work correctly.

Btw, we have seen in the past that encryption vendors took some time to support booting with AHCI (SATA) as default and customers had to revert to (emulated) IDE to get encryption to work. That problem seems to have now been solved by the majority of software encryption vendors, but it is something to check

Hope this helps

I work for HP
Occasional Visitor
mariuszp_irl
Message 3 of 8 (79,743 Views)

tRe: Change UEFI Bios settings back to LEGACY BIOS mode? HP Elite 8300 Desktop

Excellent that is a correct answer.

When I connected a USB DVD Rom it appeared in the boot menu in two places.

EFI and Bios Legacy.

I chose Bios legacy and installed windows as normal.
Encryption software we are using did encrypt the hard disk with no errors this time.

PS. According to HP Support team in India or wherever they are it's impossible to boot to BIOS Legacy.
Anyways, I'm very gradeful to reply to my post.

Kindest Regards,

Mariusz

Occasional Visitor
vkynluv
Message 4 of 8 (60,184 Views)

but the option to change uefi to bios is not list in f10 menu

HP Pro
soccer_dan
Message 5 of 8 (60,120 Views)

Yes, it is

Once you enter the BIOS by pressing F10, select the Storage menu, and then the Boot Order entry. You the options in the Boot Order window that pops up. 2 sections, EFI Boot Sources and Legacy Boot Sources.

Hope this helps

I work for HP
Occasional Visitor
rlk2mass
Message 6 of 8 (24,797 Views)

I'm attempting to do the same change to the boot sequence for a HP Pavilion 500-267c (running Windows 7)  to encrypt the hard drive (per requirements for a contract job).  When I disable the UEFI BIOS and enable the Legacy BIOS, I get the following boot error: "No boot disk has been detected or the boot disk has failed." 

I noticed that there is no "Windows Boot Manager" in the Legacy BIOS sequence as it appears in the UEFI BIOS.  The Legacy BIOS only has the standard identified drives in the usual order with the SATA hard drive as the final selection.  Apparently there is a missing step in the Legacy BIOS which is preventing it from launching Windows.  Any suggestions?

HP Pro
soccer_dan
Message 7 of 8 (21,640 Views)

If the system came preloaded with UEFI and you switch to Legacy, you may have to reinstall the OS ans it is likely the OS was loaded with UEFI partitioning in mind in GPT mode. Those partitions would not be available for booting in Legacy mode

I work for HP
BuffaloJoe
Message 8 of 8 (18 Views)

Using the BCDBoot command should in most case should resovle moving from one boot method to the other if entered correctly.

Legacy to UEFI

bcdboot C:\Windows /s S: /f UEFI

UEFI to Legacy

bcdboot C:\Windows /s S: /f BIOS

These commands will need to be issued outside of the computers primary operating system from a WINPE bootdisk.

*The /s swich is for the drive letter of the System volume,  if there is no drive letter assigned to the System volume one can be assigned while booted with WINPE using the diskpart command.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.