Cd and DVD won't load/can't insert them... touchsmart 9100 (232 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Message 1 of 3 (232 Views)

Cd and DVD won't load/can't insert them... touchsmart 9100

Cd and DVD won't load/can't insert them... touchsmart 9100

CD and DVD won't load.  The problem is NOT that it won't read the disks. I can't insert them. The computer drive doesn't suck them in.  They spring right back out if I try to push them in. I had just used a dvd but when I went to change DVDs, it wouldn't load the new one.. now nothing wil load.  

Windows 7 professional .

Occasional Visitor
Message 2 of 3 (62 Views)

Re: Cd and DVD won't load/can't insert them... touchsmart 9100

I never got any responses to this. The problem stopped for a while, but suddenly reoccurred. 

Trusted Contributor
Message 3 of 3 (45 Views)

Re: Cd and DVD won't load/can't insert them... touchsmart 9100

[ Edited ]

I don't have a touchsmart 9100 but any slot loading DVD or DB drive can suffer issues over time.

For example, the slot loading drive in my old PS3 has at times suffered with accepting (pulling in) disks and worse still, not ejecting (pushing out) disks that it previously pulled in.

In such cases, the problem was mechanical in nature and usually related to the little wheels that grab the disk either getting worn out of more likely getting oils on them.  The oils come from from your skin which are transfered to the disk simply by handling them and then get transfered to the wheels when the disk is pulled in. Over time it gets worse and the drive then has problems pulling disks in or pushing them out. A cleanout usually fixes the problem but it's a very fiddly job and the problem comes back unless you're a clean freak and wash hands before touching your disks (and who does that). As such, I prefer slot loading drives for that reason...

If it's under warranty, simply get HP to fix it for you.

If it's not under warranty, either have a go at dismantling the slot loading drive (very fiddly) or buy another drive and install it. Then keep your disks clean and wash hands before touching your disks.  Never handle disks when hot and sweaty as that just puts lots of oils on the edges...

PS: On another Old Dell Studio Hybrid, the slot loding DVD drive already had a disk inside and as such it would always spit out disks (start to pull in then push out). Again i pulled the drive appart, cleaned and reasembled and it's been OK since.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.