CPU Fan and Chassis Fan on Full Blast on DC5100 MT (4660 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Aaron Gysbers
Message 1 of 5 (4,660 Views)

CPU Fan and Chassis Fan on Full Blast on DC5100 MT

Hey Everyone,

One of my users has a DC5100 MT computer and the fans are stuck in "high gear", so the computer is very loud and it's annoying others. It appears that both the CPU fan and the chassis fan on the back of the computer are in high gear from the moment you turn on the computer until you literally have to shut the computer down. The computer runs great other than that, no error messages that I can see.

The computer itself is rather clean and free from dust. I have blown out what little dust there may have been from the computer, fans, power supply, ect... The fans look to be in good shape to, there is no whining noises that are often associated with bad bearings.

I have also reset the Processor, heat sink, memory. I tested the power supply with a power supply tester and it indicated the power supply is good.

Has anyone experienced this before? I was looking at replacement parts and they seam to be rather expensive, so I'd like to find out if anyone knows which part specifically would be the cause.

Occasional Contributor
Aaron Gysbers
Message 2 of 5 (4,659 Views)

Re: CPU Fan and Chassis Fan on Full Blast on DC5100 MT

One more thing I forgot to mention is that I've updated the BIOS to the latest version as well...

Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 3 of 5 (4,645 Views)

Hi, Aaron:

Could possibly be one of two things...

1. The fan setting in the BIOS is set to idle at the maximum speed. Did you check that setting?

2. Depending on what processor you have installed, if the thermal monitoring technology has gone bad, the processor will tell the fan to spin up even though the processor isn't hot. In other words, the temp monitoring sensor has gone bad in the processor.  Do you have another processor you can put in there to check if that fixes the issue?

Paul

Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 4 of 5 (4,641 Views)

It may be possible that the Processor heatsink isn't tight or that the thermal grease is missing/dried out. Have you checked that?

Advisor
Hal Smith
Message 5 of 5 (4,373 Views)

On my dc5100 SFF, there is a setting for fan speed that can be set for the base cooling level, higher=faster speed & more noise. On my box, setting at the lowest is fairly quiet, but the fan *does* ramp up under cooling load. You might want to check the same feature on your bios setup.

We can "break" any system.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.