Booting from disc (175 Views)
Occasional Contributor
jbcom41
Message 1 of 7 (175 Views)

Booting from disc

Hi Everyone

We are trying to boot from DVD to reformat dx2450MT desktop PC but the PC will not boot from disc.  Everything is set in the BIOS to Boot from DVD drive but it will no not.

is this a security thing with HP that you cannot boot from disc to format PC and reinstall OS, we are using a Windows 7VL disc...

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance 

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 2 of 7 (172 Views)

Re: Booting from disc

Hi:

Did you try tapping the F9 key at the HP welcome screen to get to the one time boot menu?

See if that works.

You should get the Boot menu, select the DVD drive and hit the enter key.

If it doesn't boot then, I have no idea what the issue could be.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
jbcom41
Message 3 of 7 (159 Views)

Hi Paul

I must be missing something here, I have tested the disc and it works fine, but on several HP boxes it will not boot from disc, it just goes straight to the OS, even when I press Esc to enter one time boot option.

Any ideas?

Thanks

jbcom41

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 4 of 7 (156 Views)

I wish I could offer some other ideas to try, but I don't know why that is happening.

You could try clearing the CMOS and see if that does anything.

I had that happen to me on 1 PC where I could not get it to boot from anything but the HDD.

I inspected the motherboard, and it had some bad capacitors, but I highly doubt that is the issue with your PC as it is much newer than the one that I had.

Please use plain text.
HP Pro
soccer_dan
Message 5 of 7 (132 Views)

First step is always to make sure you are running with the latest BIOS. Hit F10 to enter the BIOS at boot and check the version against what is on the web at http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?sp4ts.oid=3658383&sp...

(rev 5.63 Rev. A - 17 Jun 2010) sp49108.exe

once that is done, go into BIOS setup again and check the Boot menu. Change the settings appropriately. i would move the CD-ROM Group up to first in the list. Hopefully, that should make it boot

I work for HP
Please use plain text.
HP Pro
HpBiosGuy
Message 6 of 7 (127 Views)

Hi,

Is Wake on LAN enabled on this system?  Does this occur if the network cable is unplugged?  Are there any other expansion cards in the system that might be generating a false wakeup event?  I'm not familiar with this partiuclar model, but some desktop systems will default to booting to the hard drive (even if removable media has a higher boot priority) when a wakeup event occurs.

Just a thought as to another possible cause.  Hope this helps.

Thanks,
HpBiosGuy

I am an HP Employee.
Please use plain text.
HP Pro
robinhp
Message 7 of 7 (122 Views)

Hello,

In the BIOS, under the boot order, make sure that the DVD drive is the first option. Then on reboot press F9 to get the boot menu. Select CD DVD ROM and hit enter. If nothing happens, press ESC and the unit should eventually boot from the DVD.

Thanks,

Robin

I work for HP
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation