BootBlock Emergency Recovery Mode (2420 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Ian Southward
Message 1 of 8 (2,420 Views)

BootBlock Emergency Recovery Mode

I replaced the CMOS battery on the motherboard of my Compaq Deskpro. I then tried to boot up and I get the message "BootBlock Emergency Recovery Mode, the System Flash ROM Image has been corrupted." What can I do to fix this problem??
Honored Contributor
Ed Hart
Message 2 of 8 (2,420 Views)

Re: BootBlock Emergency Recovery Mode

first, you must clear cmos by moving the "clear comosw" jumper. Do this while powered on. Then, power off, and mocve it bck.

Do you have a light and a magnififier? You will tiny little inscriptions on the mother board indicating which jumper trio to do this with...."1-2" or "2-3"
"Suma Cum Difficultade"
Occasional Contributor
Ian Southward
Message 3 of 8 (2,420 Views)

Can you give me a detailed and step by step version of how to remove this error message??
Honored Contributor
John Kirk
Message 4 of 8 (2,420 Views)

Ian

What is the model of your computer. Different models have different procedures.

John K.
Occasional Contributor
Ian Southward
Message 5 of 8 (2,420 Views)

The model# is EPa/C500/10b/9/64c US
Honored Contributor
Steven Hauk_1
Message 6 of 8 (2,420 Views)

Look on the motherboard for a round button...maybe it's yellow...don't know for sure. Unplug computer power and push button for 10 seconds. Try computer again. If no good, use this download to create a BIOS flash diskette:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/deskpro/us/download/8979.html

Boot off that and follow the prompts to flash the BIOS. If it doesn't boot off the diskette, try holding the Esc key during this process.
Occasional Visitor
Paul_m_Gallagher
Message 7 of 8 (2,420 Views)

There was a power outage and user reported the error message. I updated the BIOS to v2.04 (latest) to clear this message on a Deskpro EXD733 (ROM family 686po) and PC rebooted fine. Brought it back to user, connected everything up again and got a beep sequence and the message again! Turns out the keyboard was causing it. REplaced keyboard and everything fine. Very strange! No sign of damage to keyboard, pins ok etc.
Occasional Visitor
blane rideout
Message 8 of 8 (2,420 Views)

3 years later and this thread is still helping people!! keyboard issue, ty soo much.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.