Re: BIOS password retrieval (1668 Views)
Occasional Advisor
T Clemen
Message 1 of 13 (1,668 Views)
Accepted Solution

BIOS password retrieval

I can not remember my BIOS password. Also I don't think my keyboard works when I am supposed to enter it, nothing that I type shows on the screen. I have a d530 HP with XP and BIOS 1.1. Please advise.

Thanks
Advisor
Dr. Jeff
Message 2 of 13 (1,668 Views)

Re: BIOS password retrieval

If you remove the battery that powers the CMOS clock and configuration, wait 5 minutes then turn on the computer.

I don't know the particular model but BIOS passwords can be reset to factory default (which is OFF) by resetting the CMOS.

There is usually a jumper that can be used to reset the CMOS, but removing the battery is effective as well.

Jeff
Occasional Advisor
T Clemen
Message 3 of 13 (1,668 Views)

Thanks I will give it a try and let you know.
Honored Contributor
Steven Hauk_1
Message 4 of 13 (1,668 Views)

To clear the CMOS on a D530 you unplug the power and press the Clear CMOS button on the motherboard.
Occasional Advisor
T Clemen
Message 5 of 13 (1,668 Views)

I'll let you know,I am going to try it in a few minutes.
Occasional Advisor
T Clemen
Message 6 of 13 (1,668 Views)

Unfortunately the two suggestions didn't work. Any other ideas?
Occasional Advisor
T Clemen
Message 7 of 13 (1,668 Views)

Please help, since trying the two suggestions my system clock is set for 1980 and is messing up some programs.

Thanks
Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 8 of 13 (1,668 Views)

After clearing the CMOS you will need to go into setup and reset the date and time to get into setup at cold start start tapping the F10 and then press the power button it usually gives a keyboard error but it will get you into setup there is a procedure to delete the BIOS password in the attached Doc.
Occasional Advisor
T Clemen
Message 9 of 13 (1,668 Views)

I appreciate all the help, however I am still locked out from changing any settings within the cmos/bios. When it asks for the password my keyboard does not seem to work. I type in the password, but nothing shows up on screen, after hitting enter 3 times it enters the cmos and I am then locked out from making changes. Any other suggestions?
Occasional Advisor
jhone_1
Message 10 of 13 (1,668 Views)

A. By Using the Motherboard Jumper:

In most motherboards CMOS battery is soldered, which makes it difficult to remove the battery. In

this case we use another method.

Almost all motherboards contain a jumper that can clear all CMOS settings along with the BIOS

password. The location of this jumper varies depending upon the motherboard brand. You should

read your motherboard manual to check its location. If you don't have the manual then look for

the jumpers near the CMOS battery. Most of the manufacturer label the jumper as CLR, CLEAR, CLEAR

CMOS, etc.

When you find the jumper, look carefully. There will be 3 pins and the jumper will be joining

the center pin to either left or right pin. What you need to do, is remove the jumper and join

the center pin to the opposite pin. e.g. if the jumper joins center pin to left pin, then remove

it and join center pin to right pin. Now wait for a few seconds and then again remove the jumper

and join the center pin to left pin.

Make sure to turn the PC off before opening the cabinet and resetting the jumper.

B. By Using Software:

I have found that BIOS/CMOS Password Recovery Tool is the most effective.:
BIOS/CMOS Password Recovery Tool is a program that works instantly to remove any lost or

forgotten BIOS/CMOS password. Simply boot your PC to DOS and execute the program, and get access

to forgotten BIOS/CMOS passwords in just seconds

BIOS/CMOS Password Recovery Tool Service: http://www.biospasswordrecovery.com/
Valued Contributor
Duke Of Kent
Message 11 of 13 (789 Views)

See comments at http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1379453
in reply to helloworld's message.

Note you may have more luck with jumpers and battery removal since your machine isn't a notebook
Occasional Advisor
T Clemen
Message 12 of 13 (789 Views)

I will try the jumper instructions and report back, thank you!
Occasional Advisor
T Clemen
Message 13 of 13 (789 Views)

Thanks, there was a password jumper and that did the trick.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.