Another one bites the dust using HP ProtectTools (1564 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Fred_in_Sweden
Message 1 of 20 (1,564 Views)
Accepted Solution

Another one bites the dust using HP ProtectTools

Hi There !

Seached the forums and realized now that my problem is not unique.

Our company policy was, until now, to have use HP-PT and have our HDD's encrypted.

For 2 years it started up fine and gave me no issue until my windows did not start as expected.

(The reason for windows not starting is a mix of me shifting from domain to local coupled with windows bug regarding some services)

In short: All passwords works and Windows 7 64 starts but kicks me out some way into the log in sequence.

Since I cannot start windows on teh encrypted HDD I cannot decrypt the drive  ....

Since the drive is encrypted it cannot be read from outside

Since the HP PtotectTools , started from an external win 7 HDD neither can see that the drive is encrypted 

Since all of this I am totally stuck.

It reall sucks that although we have all passwords accessable , saved them on USB sticks and  have them in mind, cannot reach the data.

I just read about some safeBoot tool that is not HP supported that might work and I will read more about this during some short days of holiday now between christmas and 2014-01-01

Still I wonder..is there no HP tool that can decrypt the drive when we have all keys necessary??

Dusteater/Fred

Valued Contributor
Bright3
Message 2 of 20 (1,555 Views)

Re: Another one bites the dust using HP ProtectTools

hi, if the  hdd is encrypted and you have the keys to decrypt it, first you will have to decrypt the drive first in order to read the drive somewhere else.

Occasional Advisor
Fred_in_Sweden
Message 3 of 20 (1,541 Views)

The problem is that there is not such a tool.....
Valued Contributor
Bright3
Message 4 of 20 (1,539 Views)

ok, if you dont have that tool, you should talk to your administrator-IT, other than that there is no way to decrypt that drive.

Occasional Advisor
Fred_in_Sweden
Message 5 of 20 (1,531 Views)

Can't understand your answer at all...Talk to the IT departement...

Don't you think they are involved???

They are doing their best but without any answer from HP.

Even though all of my code is checked in on our servers there are many different

scripts etc that I have developed the last two years. They are very valuable for me, and for

the company since they shorten the development time in general.  

We are trying to find an answer all of us, without any luck.

Is McAfee endpoint protection encryption compatible with HP encryption ??

regards/Fredrik

Trusted Contributor
Skylarking
Message 6 of 20 (1,520 Views)

[ Edited ]

I'm not into encrypting my HDD, especially using proprietary windows only tools in combination with secureboot, as there is just too much involved that can go wrong and a recovery process just doesn't seem to be clearly defined anywhere...

Anyway, I did a quick Google and came across this decryption solution provided within this hp forum post which also includes an attached doc that could also be helpful? Then there is these McAfee knowledge base pages here & here which may also provide some useful info...

What seems paramount is to do a bitwise copy of the problem encrypted HDD so you have another backup HDD in case the decryption process fails leaving your data in an undefined state...

Mind you, how encryption programs like bitlocker and hp-protect interact with self encrypting hdds (SED) is unknown to me, so one must know what encryption they actually utilize...

But really, HP need to ensure there exists a documented mechanism to help users of "hp protect" recover their data on another system should they have the needed keys, otherwise such encryption based on needing windows to boot is of little to no use (unless hp can guaranteed that windows will always boot which we all know can never be guaranteed!!!).

Hope you sort your issue, and if you do, please post the solution so others may benefit.

PS: Also found this post on spiceworks which may outline hp ptotect tool works:

Priscilla@HP Nov 13, 2012 at 8:42 AM

HP is a Spiceworks Partner.

Below is a follow-up response from the product team:

"I’m quite disappointed to hear about the customer experience regarding SSDs/SEDs....

When ProtectTools is used to activate the encryption (both hardware and software), the interface is the same for the user. If the system has a compatible SED drive, there will be a checkbox to use the hardware encryption. After activation, the customer will need to insert a USB disk to store the backup decryption key. This backup key can be used to unlock the encryption on the drive. It will be necessary for both the hardware and software encryption methods. The system will need to reboot, and the user will now be required to login at the McAfee Preboot Authentication dialog, and again at the Windows login (unless [the user] is using the One-Step Login).

Whether [the user] chooses to use hardware or software encryption, [the user] will see no difference in performance after this.

If [the user] chooses software encryption, the HDD access light will flash as it encrypts the drive in a background process, and [the user] can watch the drive encryption progress by going back to the Drive Encryption tab of Security Manager.

Drive encryption is a very important tool to protect your data, but it is only one piece of the puzzle. It prevents others from gaining access to sensitive or personal information, but it does not cover you if your drive fails.....So, I *highly* recommend the customers take regular backups of their data to a secure location, whether using encryption or not. This allows you to recover your data if the drive fails, as well as if it is lost or stolen, and you can get back up and running with minimal business impact."

Does this implies that a SED can be decrypted on another PC running hp protect tools if the drive is hardware encrypted and you have the keys? Who knows!!!

Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 7 of 20 (1,512 Views)

>how encryption programs like bitlocker and hp-protect interact with self encrypting HDDs is unknown to me

I know how Enterprise SSC work but not sure if PCs are in a separate class like Opal.

The TCG has a bunch of documentation:

http://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/solutions/data_protection

http://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/resources/selfencrypting_drives_sed_overview

http://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/files/resource_files/FE1407B5-1A4B-B294-D0568B03CA5BF566/TCG_SE...

Trusted Contributor
Skylarking
Message 8 of 20 (1,496 Views)

Dennis, thanks for the links but the referenced sales blurbs do not really say much about the OP's issue nor does it elaborate on the issues i am concerned with. It's a starting point so i guess i have lots more reading to do :)

So for me, for the moment, i avoid secure boot and drive encryption until there is robust and documented recovery methods that gives me the control and does not make me dependant on some other party to access MY data on MY hardware should the OS kak itself and fail to authenticate/boot...

And as the OP mentioned, nothing seems to be documented by HP on how one goes about decrypting their data should the OS fail to boot. And i'm also concerned with what happens when the authenticated boot process fails, or there is some issue with the decryption key storage location (whether stored in flash within the TPM or SED itself)...

There is just too many unknowns for many people which is why i have difficulty in understanding why one needs data encryption, especially when data theft via OS security breaches seems to be the bigger issue, lost laptops being the exeption. All for the sake of not wanting to put a hammer through a HDD when it is retired!!!

Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 9 of 20 (1,490 Views)

>but the referenced sales blurbs do not really say much about the OP's issue

There are other references on that site.  But they are very low level.

Valued Contributor
Bright3
Message 10 of 20 (1,441 Views)

Hi, if you want you can try this, most of the companies  use Symantec encryption.

http://www.symantec.com/drive-encryption

Valued Contributor
Bright3
Message 11 of 20 (1,439 Views)

Also what version of hp p tools you have?.
Valued Contributor
Bright3
Message 12 of 20 (1,432 Views)

Yes Mcafee is saying that there is a conflict with Hp Protect tools.
Occasional Advisor
Fred_in_Sweden
Message 13 of 20 (1,420 Views)

On the McAfee forum I got the following response

Re: Can McAfee endpoint protection help me recover my data?

Hi Fredrik,

We (SaaS Endpoint Protection) do not have the feature to decrypt a drive which was encrypted with HP-PT.

Regards,

Sathish.V

Occasional Advisor
Fred_in_Sweden
Message 14 of 20 (1,419 Views)

Trying right now. using a trial license. Will happily pay if it works.
Occasional Advisor
Fred_in_Sweden
Message 15 of 20 (1,416 Views)

That last comment was regarding using Symantec disc encryption.

(But the trial version had encryption disabled)

I am now trying to get a limited time license...

Occasional Advisor
Fred_in_Sweden
Message 16 of 20 (1,412 Views)

Right now I just wished that HP could step up and give a straight yes or now if they have a solution to their "encryption not possible to remove feature"....
If anyone has a formal support it seems you can call this number:

http://www.hp-protecttools.com/about.asp?sub=4
What is the HP ProtectTools Technical Support line telephone number?

01925 841 805 - This number is only available for those who have purchased support with their licences or have renewed their support for additional years. Those that contact the Support Team will be asked to provide details to validate their contract which will be checked against the product database eg licence key, number of seats etc.
Occasional Advisor
Fred_in_Sweden
Message 17 of 20 (1,383 Views)

Results after many days of searching = 0

I have not been able to find away to decrypt my drive.

We will now remove this tool from all of our laptops

and use another way not connected to windows login.

I strongly think you should consider berfore using this tool.

You need to backup often not to risk loosing your work.

/Fredrik

Occasional Advisor
Fred_in_Sweden
Message 18 of 20 (1,380 Views)

BTW I will personally pay a reward of $200 if anyone knows how to solve this issue. Send me a personal message.
Over and out
Valued Contributor
Bright3
Message 19 of 20 (1,370 Views)

ok, what about symantec disc encryption, take a look.

Occasional Advisor
Fred_in_Sweden
Message 20 of 20 (1,351 Views)

MY Colleague found the help while using google search

Steps to Retrieve Data Encrypted with 2011 Drive Encryption for ProtectTools (vers. 6.x)

If the computer system does not boot, and displays a message similar to “McAfee Endpoint Encryption. Fatal Error: [0xEE020002]” or “pePC has been corrupted – ERROR 92h” on a hard drive encrypted with 2011 Drive Encryption for ProtectTools, there is a tool can be used to attempt to retrieve data from the hard drive.

Legal Notice:

DiskTech 2011 tool is provided “As Is” by Hewlett Packard Company and McAfee, Inc. Neither Hewlett Packard nor McAfee provide any warranties either explicit or implied that any encrypted files can be retrieved using DiskTech 2011 or any other tool.

Prior to encrypting any data, the user is advised to utilize backup utilities and perform frequent backups of their data to secure media.

Instructions:

You must have access to the backup encryption key (.dat file typically saved to a USB) and have the DiskTech2011.iso (ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/caps-softpaq/TCE&Q/DiskTech2011.iso) burned to a CD.

• Before attempting to boot from the DiskTech 2011 CD, you will need to go into the notebook BIOS and temporarily switch the drive controller to IDE mode (F10>System Configuration>Device Configurations>SATA Device Mode). You will be asked to confirm this change to the Drive Controller, click the Confirm button to do so. A blue screen error (BSOD) will occur during boot if the drive controlled is set to any value other than IDE.

1. Boot from the CD.  Make sure the USB key containing your recovery key and any other external USB storage devices are attached to a USB 2.0 port (not USB SS port) before powering on.
  2. After booting, select whether or not to start network support (probably no for most users).
  3. Click "Go" at bottom left.
  4. Select Programs>McAfee EETech.
  5. Click "HP".
  6. Navigate to the recovery key on your USB key.  Select "Open".  (If the encrypted drive is not mountable, it is here where you will usually receive an error)
  7. The drive should now be mounted.  You can leave the Authentication window open.
  8. Click "Go".
  9. Select Programs>A43 File Management Utility.
  10. You should now be able to access the files on your drive and move them to an external device.

• When finished, don't forget to go back into the BIOS and change the controller back to AHCI mode.

The files on the hard drive are still encrypted when this retrieval process is completed, and you will not be able to boot from this hard drive unless it is rebuilt. You may choose to store the hard drive in a secure location for future access to the files remaining on it. The files on the hard drive will not be accessible except through the DiskTech 2011 tool.

You may choose to rebuild the operating system on the computer using OEM disks, or entering the HP Recovery Manager by pressing the F11 key during the boot process (if the recovery partition remains on the machine).

• If the hard drive is formatted (by HP Recovery Manager or using the Quick Format feature on the OEM setup disks), all files on the hard drive will be wiped, and will no longer be accessible through any method.

Note:

If the data cannot be retrieved using the DiskTech 2011 tool, you may send your system to Hewlett Packard. HP may be able to retrieve the data through more intense data retrieval methods. However, HP cannot guarantee that any data can be retrieved from the hard drive. You must contact HP Support for instructions to ship your system.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.